Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:15 PM

5 posts, read 6,881 times

Advertisements

Hi!

From reading many posts we seem to be among the many that are or have relocated to Seattle.
Looks like due to a job offer we will be heading from Dallas, TX to Seattle at the end of May. Husband will be working in the Redmond area and my job is in Kent.

What would be a good centralized location for us?

We are 30, no kiddos. Prefer light commute - 15 minutes if possible. Would prefer a rental home too - budget 2k.

Since relocation isn't being covered we appreciate any advice others who have made this adventure have.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 07:53 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
15 minutes for both of you may be a tall order. You might consider the part of Renton called 'The Landing'. If anything is ~halfway - it's probably that. My own preference would probably be DT Bellevue since there's more to do. However, it depends on how much you're ok with driving. The Landing is going to be more affordable and there are several things within walking distance, but once you're sick and tired on those options, then what? However, it's not a bad drive to Bellevue, Renton or Seattle from there if you don't mind a bit of driving. DT Bellevue has quite a bit going on, it has a major transit center, and the freeway is pretty convenient - once you're on it, it's not that much extra time. It's easily 15 minutes from Redmond, but Kent is going to be more like 30-45 (depending on traffic that day). From the Landing, Redmond and Kent will each be close to 30 (in traffic that's moving, but not quickly - which is how things usually are on 405). That stretch of Valley hwy from Renton to Kent is just plain busy (ie: crappy) any time of day or night. And at rush hour it's a particular treat (and by 'treat' I mean the opposite of that). You could also consider Factoria or Newcastle.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
You might find a rental house for that in Newcastle, or in the Eastgate or Lake Hills areas of Bellevue. With our traffic you will not find a 15 minute commute for either of you, unless you work very early hours. On a good day it will be more like 25 minutes, in either direction if you started right in the middle, at times longer. it can take 25 minutes just to go from one part of Bellevue to another in the afternoon/early evening.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:50 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
First reaction: Newcastle. Nice bedroom community that splits the commute difference between the two. Doubt you'll get it down to 15 min each, as I-405 is a bit of a bind going and coming each day to either Kent or Redmond. To say the least. Though I suppose the person going to Kent would be going counter-commute direction.

$2,000 / month should get you into a decent rental. They say rental market is tough and getting tougher (repeating what I've read on this forum), might want to look into that closely as a seperate matter. Soon.

Relo not covered, huh? Too bad. I moved from NorCal to WA on my own for about $750, back in the day, which would probably be about $1,250 now (medium U-Haul truck). Guessing you'll be more than that, with two. Wild guess, self-move is $5K for two people with a modest house full of stuff and doing almost all your own heavy-lifting. At least May should be a good time to drive it. I assumed 2,300 miles, and lookee there: Google maps says 2,183, Dallas to Seattle. Hmm.

Amusing: friend of mine is fleeing here for Dallas, given the lower cost of living in the latter (CNN Money suggests about 20% higher in Seattle). Can't say as I find DFW airport, or Las Colinas (not from from Dallas) too inspiring, but to each his own indeed. Every place has its charms.

EDIT: wow, three votes in three replies thus far for Newcastle. Hmm?

Old 04-22-2013, 01:23 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
I suggest Newcastle, as well. I wouldn't go south of there for the sake of the one commuting to Redmond, as the traffic is horrible in the mornings on 405 from Renton to Newcastle. So your husband would be able to miss most of the traffic. And from Newcastle you have an option of traveling the back roads to Kent if the traffic in 405 and 167 were bad, though I think you would have a reverse commute to Kent from Newcastle so it might not be an issue. I lived in Newcastle for a time and really enjoyed it. It's quiet, in a convenient location, and has a couple of good restaurants (one of the best Chinese restaurants in the Seattle area).

Old 04-22-2013, 07:14 AM

I love these forums. You guys are very helpful! It is a big move and I have never lived out of state so it will be a big transition for me (I am the one driving to Kent). I am thankful that my manager is letting me work remote in our office up there for the time being. I dislike being in the car for a commute to work - I feel it is wasteful of time on a day where you already are away from 8-9 hours. I don't mind driving on the weekends for activities.

It is funny you mention Las Colina Blondebaerde, as my office is currently in Las Colinas and I have about a 10 minute commute. The husband and I car pool currently since his office is right across the street from mine. We got lucky somehow when his previous company moved locations.

It gets really unbearably hot here in the summer. Hard to breathe. I know that cost of living is higher there, but I am trying to think of it as a location tax. It is really pretty out your way. The only hill in Dallas is the dump in Lewisville. You may want to tell your friend who is fleeing Seattle.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 AM

80 posts, read 193,040 times
Driving from Newcastle to Kent will be a heck of a lot better than Kent to New Castle for sure. I drive 405 south in the mornings (from MI to Tukwila), and the traffic heading north is with out a doubt much worse. The 405 south traffic can back up some, too, so just be aware.

As someone who as lived in both Dallas and Seattle, I can say Seattle wins hands down for climate. From what family members are telling me, Dallas traffic has gotten pretty bad in recent years. Sure the cost of living is lower in Dallas, but here it's so green and mild pretty much year 'round. We don't have severe weather. No tornados. Our hail is tiny little pellet of ice (NOT ever soft ball sized!), rains are gentle even when they are "heavy", lightening is rare. Hipsters are plentiful. But so are hills and mountains. I would not want to live in Dallas again after living here.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 AM

burgerbun - thank you! I have been really nervous about this move. We have been up in Seattle a few times and I do love it, but it is leaving my friends, family and what I am use to that has me stressed.

I have been at my current company since June 2004 and my boss has been really great with the news of my husbands new job. He said that since we have an office up there I could work remote and we would test the waters and see how it goes. From our talks though I think he wants me to find something better if that makes sense.

If you just happen to see any rental homes feel free to send them my way.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:13 PM

35 posts, read 78,967 times
Hi cnrobinson! I am moving from Dallas to the Seattle area in June. We are relocating for my husbands job. He'll be working in Bellevue. Our situation is completely different because we have kids and I'm a stay at home mom. Where in Dallas do you live? Are you already used to suburban living? I'm only asking because if you are in Dallas proper, I'm not sure you will enjoy the areas mentioned other than Downtown bellevue. We are looking in Bellevue, Kirkland, redmond, and issaquah. The only reason we are looking in Redmond and issaquah is the possibility of tons more kids for our kids to play with. My husband and I have already discussed if it were only the two of us we would only live in Bellevue or kirkland (near downtown). Good luck with your move! I grew up in Dallas & have lived in other states many times. It is really hard, but you'll get used to it! I, like you, can't wait to live the heat!

Old 04-23-2013, 05:31 PM

Hi momofmad

We live in Coppell - I like the quiet suburban life. Before my husband received the offer we were looking to purchase a home in Coppell or Grapevine.

We are pretty quiet non bar hopping people. We keep it simple with board games and drinks by the pool here. It may be boring to some, but we like being simple

Where are you guys located in Dallas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area