U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 AM
 
20 posts, read 40,267 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

And yeah, I've heard all about the Seattle Freeze. And how it takes 5 years to make friends and all...

I really don't want to go down that path, so I'm trying to be as proactive as possible about meeting people. That said, if anyone wants to grab a drink (or 6), or show me some awesome part of the city I might not otherwise find, or meet up at your favorite eating spot, please feel free to DM me

I promise I'm not a creeper. 28 year old gay male, work for a progressive political tech firm (based in DC and Boston, but I'll be keeping my job and working from home). I'll be staying with a friend on the Hill until I find a place, so I'll be pretty centrally located.

Anyway, hope to hear from some of you. And can't wait to start exploring my new digs

(Also, bonus points to anyone who can direct me to somewhere I can watch Game of Thrones every week. My buddy I'm staying with doesn't have cable. I'm willing to give up all my other shows for a while...but I refuse to give up GoT...especially this season)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2013, 10:26 AM
 
Location: NYC
7,311 posts, read 12,411,173 times
Reputation: 3714
How could Seattle hate transplants when so many of her citizens are transplants themselves?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2013, 10:40 AM
 
118 posts, read 275,064 times
Reputation: 101
Welcome! Great time of year to move here.

I know lots of places to watch soccer games but not GoT, sorry!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 AM
 
20 posts, read 40,267 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
How could Seattle hate transplants when so many of her citizens are transplants themselves?
I'm mostly kidding. I have a theory though: People move to Seattle, and immediately take to reddit and other forums to denounce any FUTURE transplants.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
176 posts, read 325,270 times
Reputation: 64
I have a suggestion for GoT. You could do what i do and watch GoT for free if you have an internet connection. it only takes a brief bit of googling to find it in HD even.

EDIT: Im also somewhat confident the weather of Seattle will help control population to an extent. With the influx of new comers and rising real estate on top of the gloomy weather it should push others out!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 AM
 
5,075 posts, read 10,007,446 times
Reputation: 4654
There are 2 types of translplants people here hate. Those that moved here with little research based on some romanticized notion/fantasy created by the media, and Californians.

DC transplants are kind of novel. When people hear we moved from Virginia they assume I was in the military. They get a puzzled look when I explain we lived in the DC suburbs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2013, 11:57 AM
 
21,217 posts, read 13,917,682 times
Reputation: 12202
I'd be more interested in the DC gossip, the funny stuff like who's on the brink of getting caught chasing pages. But blogging that would probably get you in trouble anyway.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 PM
 
20 posts, read 40,267 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
There are 2 types of translplants people here hate. Those that moved here with little research based on some romanticized notion/fantasy created by the media, and Californians.

DC transplants are kind of novel. When people hear we moved from Virginia they assume I was in the military. They get a puzzled look when I explain we lived in the DC suburbs.

Oh, I've done my research. Sometimes I start to think I did a bit too much research and really just need to go with the gut on this And I'm not a Californian. So maybe I'm good to go?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 PM
 
1,941 posts, read 3,243,349 times
Reputation: 2720
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_tiger View Post
And yeah, I've heard all about the Seattle Freeze. And how it takes 5 years to make friends and all...

I really don't want to go down that path, so I'm trying to be as proactive as possible about meeting people. That said, if anyone wants to grab a drink (or 6), or show me some awesome part of the city I might not otherwise find, or meet up at your favorite eating spot, please feel free to DM me

I promise I'm not a creeper. 28 year old gay male, work for a progressive political tech firm (based in DC and Boston, but I'll be keeping my job and working from home). I'll be staying with a friend on the Hill until I find a place, so I'll be pretty centrally located.

Anyway, hope to hear from some of you. And can't wait to start exploring my new digs

(Also, bonus points to anyone who can direct me to somewhere I can watch Game of Thrones every week. My buddy I'm staying with doesn't have cable. I'm willing to give up all my other shows for a while...but I refuse to give up GoT...especially this season)
Most people here ARE transplants! You may miss all of the cultural/transportation amenities and political tension in D.C. -- are you prepared to leave that behind? If so, you will feel right at home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 PM
 
7,758 posts, read 14,791,692 times
Reputation: 10411
Yea, Seattle is 70% transplants. As for the two types of transplants-- that's not exclusive to Seattle, that's pretty much everywhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top