Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

I know interracial couples of several combinations, probably most are Asian/White, but also Black/White, a few Hispanic White, and Indian/White. I have not seen Asian/Black or Indian/Black but there probably are some. This is in the eastside suburbs. I don't really know as many people in Seattle itself as I only work there. Seattle has plenty of cultural events, restaurants and festivals. The Eastside, especially Bellevue has mainly Indian cultural opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 08:30 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cra2ybeautiful View Post
What are the interracial marriages usually? I'm not asian and my boyfriend lives in seattle. I worry that if I move there when we get married there might not be enough diversity which would mean lack of culture for our kids if we have any in the area and lack of my parents country's delicious food.

Geezus, really? Whoever started this thread has no idea what they are talking about other than Seattle is majority white. There is plenty of diversity.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
Seattle is still a town where there are more single men than women. So if guys want to find girlfriends/wives they are often forced to look outside of their own race to find love. This may not be a popular response for some, but it is happening. Men are adapting.

But the good news is folks in the Seattle area are very understanding of mixed couples. I'm white and my wife is asian. It's very rare to get disparaging looks or comments. It's all accepted here and yes there is plenty of racial diversity.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:32 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Seattle is still a town where there are more single men than women. So if guys want to find girlfriends/wives they are often forced to look outside of their own race to find love. This may not be a popular response for some, but it is happening. Men are adapting.
I don't buy that Seattle men are "forced" to go outside their race to find love. Seattle men need to come out of their shell and be friendly and talk to women. It doesn't take much. And when you think about it, that's really quite an insult to the women of another race. Like they're 2nd or 3rd fiddle. They only got chosen because the men felt they had no other recourse. Which is ridiculous and outrageous, both.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:23 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post

But the good news is folks in the Seattle area are very understanding of mixed couples. I'm white and my wife is asian. It's very rare to get disparaging looks or comments. It's all accepted here and yes there is plenty of racial diversity.
Do you think Seattlites would look down on a man who had a wife who wore a veil? I know that Seattlites are accepting of mixed colors, as they are not so bigoted by your biological/racial appearance, but I felt maybe they are more condescending or not accepting of people of different cultures. Anyhow, I am not married, but I know in my culture women are suppose to wear veil or covering (even men are suppose to wear coverings, kippot) and I don't know if people would look down on me or my future wife as some kind of terrorist or like I am a bad person for following these practices. We have rules called "Tzniut" (rules of modesty) in my culture and it is considered good to follow them. As accepting as Seattle people are to all skin colors who dress, talk and act like themselves, I truly wonder if they are as accepting when somebody goes against the cultural practices that are the norm of their society.

I know where I live now, outside of Federal Way, I do not feel safe wearing my kippah, nor what I feel safe having a wife wearing a veil. I think if I ever married I would have to find a different place to live.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't buy that Seattle men are "forced" to go outside their race to find love. Seattle men need to come out of their shell and be friendly and talk to women. It doesn't take much. And when you think about it, that's really quite an insult to the women of another race. Like they're 2nd or 3rd fiddle. They only got chosen because the men felt they had no other recourse. Which is ridiculous and outrageous, both.
No not at all Ruth! I think there is a natural tendancy to want to date within your race...it's just human nature. I've dated women from many different races and I'd never consider them to be a contingency plan whatsoever. Perhaps you are misunderstanding what I'm saying here or reading into it a bit too much?

I married an Asian lady because she's just plain awesome! Had nothing to do with the fact that I can't get a caucasian lady.

I'll stand by my words. Keep ALL your options open for an optimal dating experience.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Do you think Seattlites would look down on a man who had a wife who wore a veil? I know that Seattlites are accepting of mixed colors, as they are not so bigoted by your biological/racial appearance, but I felt maybe they are more condescending or not accepting of people of different cultures. Anyhow, I am not married, but I know in my culture women are suppose to wear veil or covering (even men are suppose to wear coverings, kippot) and I don't know if people would look down on me or my future wife as some kind of terrorist or like I am a bad person for following these practices. We have rules called "Tzniut" (rules of modesty) in my culture and it is considered good to follow them. As accepting as Seattle people are to all skin colors who dress, talk and act like themselves, I truly wonder if they are as accepting when somebody goes against the cultural practices that are the norm of their society.

I know where I live now, outside of Federal Way, I do not feel safe wearing my kippah, nor what I feel safe having a wife wearing a veil. I think if I ever married I would have to find a different place to live.
I don't think the folks from this area would look down on you at all if you wife wore a veil. That is the beauty of having a highly educated populace. People are smart and well traveled. This gives them a more worldly and accepting stance on relationships.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:03 PM

332 posts, read 868,006 times
Well, my boyfriend tells me it's mostly white, asian, and mexican. Even though he has a doctorate he's very frank with me and tells me that blacks and mexicans there are mostly ghetto reason why he doesnt have those friends. His are mostly white, east asian, indian. We met when he was here for school and continued our relationship long distance but where i am is very diverse. I don't think I ever lived in a place that wasn't. His last gf was asian and dated white girls in the past and currently he has white/asian couples friends who are getting married so it leads me to think there isn't much diversity except for white and asian people. Where I live it's a big melting pot of european, white american, every type of east asian, indian, palestinian, armenian, mex, salvadoran, jamaican, ghanian, iranian, colombians, all in large numbers too. I'll be visiting soon but if i cant get used to it i don't think if i could be happy there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Geezus, really? Whoever started this thread has no idea what they are talking about other than Seattle is majority white. There is plenty of diversity.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cra2ybeautiful View Post
Well, my boyfriend tells me it's mostly white, asian, and mexican. Even though he has a doctorate he's very frank with me and tells me that blacks and mexicans there are mostly ghetto reason why he doesnt have those friends. His are mostly white, east asian, indian. We met when he was here for school and continued our relationship long distance but where i am is very diverse. I don't think I ever lived in a place that wasn't. His last gf was asian and dated white girls in the past and currently he has white/asian couples friends who are getting married so it leads me to think there isn't much diversity except for white and asian people. Where I live it's a big melting pot of european, white american, every type of east asian, indian, palestinian, armenian, mex, salvadoran, jamaican, ghanian, iranian, colombians, all in large numbers too. I'll be visiting soon but if i cant get used to it i don't think if i could be happy there.

What does having a doctorate have anything to do with it? He can spot diversity better than those who don't have doctorates? From your locations you are going to have many countries represented. If that is what you are basing your move on, then I would stay put. But that absolutely does not mean Seattle is not diverse.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:02 PM

332 posts, read 868,006 times
I never said he can spot diversity better. If anything his environment isn't diverse at all since he met me and I am of a different race other than the typical white or asian he has dated he has become more openminded since seeing me. Someone on here said that being educated or well traveled makes you more accepting or open minded but I do not believe it to be true unless you are exposed to other diverse environments or befriend and date those of different races. I'm not basing my move on that if anything would make me make such a drastic decision to move across the country it would be for love but of course I do wonder what it will be like when I do live there and I am researching on other things besides diversity before I do move.

What do you mean from our locations we'll have a lot of countries represented? we don't live in the same state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
What does having a doctorate have anything to do with it? He can spot diversity better than those who don't have doctorates? From your locations you are going to have many countries represented. If that is what you are basing your move on, then I would stay put. But that absolutely does not mean Seattle is not diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area