U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 05:18 PM

21 posts, read 31,017 times

Advertisements

Everytime I go there, another shop has closed. Why are they renovating that place if shops just keep on moving out?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 PM

5,075 posts, read 9,817,532 times
Beats me. That mall is poorly laid out and has felt run down at least since the mid-late 90's. Aside from being a transit hub, the mall itself seems redundant.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
35,936 posts, read 65,419,470 times
While it was meant to be (and was) a high-end destination shopping center,
there are many reasons why people prefer to go to Bellevue Square now.

The price of parking in the area has gotten ridiculous, and street parking is strictly enforced. If you go over 5 minutes you will get a ticket, in fact I see 2-3 cars being towed every day around first and Pine because regardless of how many hours paid, you cannot park there after 3:00. The homeless, drug dealers and pan handlers love the streets around Westlake, all year long, and it gets worse in summer when the tourists are around.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:18 PM

3,698 posts, read 10,731,093 times
The better stores are at Pacific Place. Westlake doesn't offer anything that you can't find in any other mall in the region, and it doesn't have a cinema to act as a draw like Pacific Place does. The only reason most people go there is to get to the monorail or the bus tunnel.

The last time I went the Men's Room felt like an annex to the Downtown Emergency Service Center, and it was not someplace I wanted to bring my then four-year-old kid in to.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:21 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,194,399 times
Westlake is being revamped. It IS getting a store that no other mall in the area has: Zara. I have been eagerly awaiting a Zara in Seattle, and I'm far from the only one. What Westlake also needs is Uniqlo!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM

16,559 posts, read 24,636,182 times
I could not make sense out of that place when I was there last. Only the food court was of any use to me.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 16,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StartMeOver View Post
Everytime I go there, another shop has closed. Why are they renovating that place if shops just keep on moving out?
Because shops keep moving out. That's why.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:23 PM

You guys, Westlake Center is undergoing a huge renovation in order to retain shops and attract customers. Zara said it would open up inside the mall if the mall carried out the renovation, and now the first, second, and third storeys are almost entirely gutted, leaving only a few random shops intact, in order to give it a more modern and contemporary look. (The '80s-to-modern renovation is similar to that of Pacific Centre in Vancouver.)

News on the Zara store can be found in the link below. The rendering shows what the store façade will look like from the street. It is supposed to take up about 30,000 square feet on the first and second storeys on the front, right side of the building.

Zara Coming to Westlake Center | Seattle Met

Pictures of the renovation can be found here:

West lake Center renovation/Zara | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You guys who haven't been to the mall in years because of your preconceived opinions should probably try to visit it and see what's happening. It's changing rapidly--for the better.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:26 PM

90,494 posts, read 86,619,871 times
If you take the bus to Westlake, there are no parking issues. I'd rather go to the malls in Seattle, than have to go all the way to Bellevue. And Bellevue Square isn't even that good, if you ask me.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you take the bus to Westlake, there are no parking issues. I'd rather go to the malls in Seattle, than have to go all the way to Bellevue. And Bellevue Square isn't even that good, if you ask me.
Exactly. Bellevue doesn't even compare to the scale and diversity of shops in downtown Seattle. Seattle is interesting, unpredictable, and eclectic--Bellevue is just yuppie chain stores, and you have to drive outside of the city just to get there, which is stupid, because it's away from everything else there is to do.

By the way, the mailbag shop Timbuk2 is opening at Seventh and Pine at the base of the Elliott Hotel, the outdoor clothing store (I know, yet another outdoor clothing store, but it's better than a vacant space) Arc'teryx is opening in the former Seattle's Best Coffee site at Fourth and Pike, and the Korean/Asian supermarket H Mart is opening in the old Nordstrom Rack site in the Broadacres Building at Third and Pine.

Seattle has or will have several fashion retailers and services that Bellevue doesn't: Gucci, Barney's, H&M, Allsaint Spitalfields, Vidal Sassoon, and, soon, Zara, and this is in addition to the array of independent businesses scattered throughout the area.

Last edited by BrandonArkell; 05-11-2013 at 11:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area