U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 AM

260 posts, read 724,625 times

Advertisements

I am continually amazed at the amount of alcohol that is consumed by people here in Seattle. I guess it is the weather and they need something to get them through the long dark winters. However, what I do not understand is the attitude of drinking and driving. People I have driven with (especially when in a group) do not think anything about having open bottle of alcohol or getting behing the wheel after consuming a considerable amount of alcohol. I am no prohibitionist as I really enjoy alcohol but people are intelligent enough here to know the danger of drinking and driving. Help me understand.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 AM

7,311 posts, read 12,418,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalgal View Post
Help me understand.
You need a new friend group.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:25 AM

260 posts, read 724,625 times
I have lots of different friends from different interest groups and that is the only reason I made the post, but good to hear that it is not the norm. We do have a Mormon Church nearby so maybe I should make some new friends there!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:20 AM

21,217 posts, read 13,932,979 times
Quote:
I am continually amazed at the amount of alcohol that is consumed by people here in Seattle. I guess it is the weather and they need something to get them through the long dark winters. However, what I do not understand is the attitude of drinking and driving. People I have driven with (especially when in a group) do not think anything about having open bottle of alcohol or getting behing the wheel after consuming a considerable amount of alcohol. I am no prohibitionist as I really enjoy alcohol but people are intelligent enough here to know the danger of drinking and driving. Help me understand.
Among the people I associate with, this is not the case at all.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,984 posts, read 67,415,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I have to agree, I don't see this at all.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:28 AM

1,634 posts, read 2,498,497 times
Quote:
I have exactly one friend who has ever tried anything like that. I ducked in through the passenger door and yanked her keys out of the ignition, then arranged for a ride home. She was really ticked at me at the time, but was grateful in the morning. She's never tried anything like that again. The rest of the time my friends either know their limits or arrange for sober transportation. We probably wouldn't be friends otherwise.

Generally I don't drink enough to have to worry about it, but every once in awhile I know I'm going to have more than one, and probably not going to want to drive at the end of an evening, so I take a taxi or bus. As parking has gotten worse and more expensive, sometimes I even do that anyway. I guess I don't really notice people here drinking more than anywhere else I've lived (less than some places).

Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 AM

3,185 posts, read 4,510,849 times
Quote:
We do have a Mormon Church nearby so maybe I should make some new friends there!
But then you'd come to the board making completely ridiculous complaints about how your friends never drink caffeine and marry too many wives.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 AM

9,638 posts, read 25,747,917 times
Interesting. I don't think that drinking and driving is widespread, but intoxicants are certainly popular in Seattle. Microbreweries are everywhere. Little distilleries making whiskey and bourbon are popping up in various neighborhoods. Espresso is on every corner, and in the city of Seattle, there must be 150+ medical marijuana dispensaries.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:01 PM

1,600 posts, read 2,957,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Interesting. I don't think that drinking and driving is widespread, but intoxicants are certainly popular in Seattle. Microbreweries are everywhere. Little distilleries making whiskey and bourbon are popping up in various neighborhoods. Espresso is on every corner, and in the city of Seattle, there must be 150+ medical marijuana dispensaries.
I never noticed that drinking and driving is any more of a problem then anywhere else. State officials and the governer are laying out some pretty tough laws on drinking and driving. If you watch the news, there have been some pretty serious deaths from drinking a driving. Maybe you had better find new friends. Interesting though, our neighbor has a microbrew that he makes in his basement. I've tasted it at our block party and it is really quite good. He is now thinking of a distillery in his basement.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:14 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,250,634 times
People here are remarkably more straight edge than what I experienced in southern California. I have a number of friends that don't drink at all. I only have a glass of wine maybe once a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area