Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:36 PM

9 posts, read 22,246 times

Advertisements

Have been looking at a lot of houses lately in Seattle, Mercer Island, and the Eastside.

WHAT IS WITH ALL THE HOT TUBS? Must be a generational thing because it's typically with older houses. I actually consider it more of a negative because I will have to spend money getting rid of it and re-capturing the space. Now, I'm talking about the hot tubs that are put on an outdoor deck and usually covered by a disgusting looking tarp. (Not talking about the soaking tubs that are built into a modern bathroom)

I'm sure there are lots of younger people who enjoy their occasional hot tub, so this is a personal preference thing. But there seems to be a correlation: older holmes, hot tub. Newer modern home, no hot tub.

Anyway, can someone from the older generation please explain to me the appeal of sitting outside in a hot tub that is swirling around bacteria-infested stagnant water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 06:19 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,693 times
Repurpose it into a planter? At least the hot tub was a fad. Country kitchens are forever.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Yes, an old 80s fad. We have several neighbors that bought homes with hot tubs and either took them out ir just don't use them. Like pools, we just don't have the weather to use them unless covered. More popular now is a jetted bathtub.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:28 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmraz73 View Post
Anyway, can someone from the older generation please explain to me the appeal of sitting outside in a hot tub that is swirling around bacteria-infested stagnant water?
There would be no attraction to that. Luckily any properly maintained hot tub will be neither stagnant or bacteria infested.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:41 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
It is quite nice to be in a hot tub on a brisk night, preferably when there's snow, and the night is cloudless, the moon bright and all.

But yes, clean up and take care of it. I prefer the Salt water hot tub over one that uses chlorine in water. Much nicer and better.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:14 PM

458 posts, read 958,157 times
This is kind of funny since all my 30 and 40 something friends are going out and getting hot tubs for their backyards in Seattle....personally I have never been a fan....a salt water one would be the only way to go for me if I ever had a change of heart!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
We're in our early 40s. It wasn't the reason we bought our house, but the previous owner had put a hot tub just off the deck in the back yard. Before we had our kid, we went out there several times a week to relax at night, no matter what season. Our house was built in the '60s, but I think the previous owner installed the tub in the early to mid-'90s.

The water won't be nasty as long as you maintain it -- no different from a pool.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
The nights aren't warm here for more than 2 months a year. Pools aren't great because of how much water you have to heat, and unless they're enclosed - not practical for most of the year.

Hot tubs are useful year round if you use it.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:51 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
I have a friggin' hot tub, just installed two weeks ago by coincidence. On the Eastside, too. Not exactly younger, or older. Yes, it takes up space, but in my case space I had no other use for.

Bottom line is that if properly-maintained, I am skeptical if they either add or detract value. A real estate person could probably more-accurately comment on that.

The previous owner of my home renovated and created a rather odd and well-finished concrete pad on the back lot side. Odd because there was nothing there when I moved in, it seemed "waiting" for something: dog run, hot tub, massive BBQ pit, little greenhouse, who knows. I've just filled that 27'x11' of concrete goodness with a hot tub and 8'x12' finished shed. With just enough room to move around a both a bit.

I believe the hot tub, full, weighs a ton and a half so I was a bit careful the pad could hold it. Wouldn't want to put one on dirt. Above ground, I'm saying. Yes, that makes it a permanent resident. I think of it not unlike a pet: with care and feeding, it will probably be well enough. Trips to the (vet, repairman) will be in-order periodically, too, so it's a multi-year thing.

Hot tubs are a bit of a boondoggle, and yes probably trendy. I merely thought it was an interesting idea, and funded the project when I could which happened to be this spring. Required a 240v mod to my panel and etc., part of the project cost. All those cold nights I wished there was somewhere to warm up, past few years, well: now there is.

Hoping to use it long-term, weather be damned, as I "assume" it is more-useful in cold than hot. Being rained on a hot tub doesn't sound like a bad thing, but if it starts to seem that way I'll have a simple gazebo built. We shall see, next fall.

Yes, they need maintenance. Didn't sound too terribly complicated to me: water, chemicals weekly, keep it circulating. From time to time something may break down. Oh well. I bought used from a reputable shop on Eastside: he's local, had lots of new and used inventory, and seems in it for the long-haul. He made it easy, but not too easy, to get the project going. He doesn't sell junk, there is a ton of info online in forums about what works and doesn't, etc. Eyes-open going in, I don't see them as a bad thing.

So yes, the friggin' hot tub is a bit of a lark, and does require long-term planning. Should I decommission it, the cost to get it out will be fairly high, too, thus in for a penny in for a pound over the long haul.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:18 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,905 times
One factor may be newer homes tend to be on smaller lots, thus less space for hot tubs. Lots of new houses can barely fit a grill in the backyard, so a hot tub has no chance.

Personally I don't have a hot tub but love to sit in them, and I think they are particularly well suited for the weather here, much like a pool in southern california. I think eventually I may get one, but the main thing I don't like is the monthly operating cost - I've heard it's upwards of $100/month in electricity just to keep the thing running. Any hot tub owners care to comment on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area