Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:36 AM

7 posts, read 33,565 times

Advertisements

I have a general question comparing Portland, OR and Seattle, WA. If you had to pick, which would you say in general is more liberal and open-minded? I'm thinking that Seattle is more cosmopolitan and has more going on. Our family was thinking of moving to Portland or Seattle from nothern California. We lived in northern Idaho for over a decade and really don't want to repeat the conservative Californian-hating vibes. Which one would you recommend? Which is more progressive?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 02:14 AM

642 posts, read 3,072,120 times
Well. I guess that all depends on what your definition of 'progressive' is. In Oregon many 'progressives' are really 'regressives', meaning that they are spouting off all these 'enlightened ideals that judge, like not to eat meat', but usually they are a bunch of uneducated spoiled drug addict white kids or just spoiled educated rich kids acting poor from the east coast. Those same 'progressives' are your worst enemies as they HATE California and will judge what you drive, what you eat, how you act and what you think. Oregon is the worst for white bred, non intellectuals that act like they no it all.

Washington on the other hand has these sort of people, BUT, they have real diversity and people that are actually in a 'progressive' way trying to make change. Those same people can also be a bit snobby to Californians. In fact those conservatives you judge in Northern Idaho, may just be the liberals you meet in disquise in Oregon and Washington, so I'd be careful with such ill-defined labels and be more specific about what you are really wanting form the community you live in.

Some of the most open minded people in Washingtion are actually fiscal conservatives, that appreciate the new verve of Californians coming in. Californians are actually more naturally conservative then most NW cities folks (in comparison--you actually believe in capitalism and making money-I assume, as do many Californians.), i.e. Portland and Seattle. There is a lot of prejudice about having money in those cities and extreme jealousy and judgment of those that bring it. There is a reason Bill Gates and most that were born and raised in Seatlle don't flash around their money.

Looking for more open minded folks? Seattle beats Portland's generally small minded ecoterrorist breeding hatefulness any day. They may spout otherwise, but visit the two cities and overtime you will see exactly what I mean.

Seattle is a vibrant and much more intellectually savvy and racially diverse city. There is no question. Seattle is A-one in comparison. It is also one of the most highly educated cities in the US. I like to say . . . Portland is a big town. Seattle is a small city. And this really rings true in their different attitude toward ideas and people. Good luck to you and expect California hating all over the NW. Even though it is really annoying, do try to have a little empathy. You can't blame them. Californians have made housing completely unaffordable for many in those states and even though many have profited, many will never know because of them what it is like to own a house.

I live in LA right now. I lived in Seattle 12 years. Portland 1 1/2 years. Montana (born and raised.) I know about what I speak here. Believe me. Best of luck to you!!! I think you will find a lot more acceptance, kindness, and great peers in Seattle. Hope I have been helpful.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:50 AM

291 posts, read 709,816 times
Portland is more "progressive". One could write a long thesis, citing tax laws, land use and zoning laws, social policies, etc, etc in support of that statement!

(On the other hand, Washington's "regressive" tax laws and more moderate land use and zoning laws have consistantly over the last 30 years produced more jobs and more growth than Oregon has seen. And that has produced for money to support education and health care, which are suffering in Oregon.)

Ironically, if you want to seek out anti-California sentiment, the best place to look for it is the most liberal, progressive, anti-growth areas of Oregon: Eugene and Portland. That's where the "Don't Californicate Oregon" sentiment originated, and is still has a voice.

The northwest has lots of refugees from California, but they are in general the more conservative ex-Californians. For example, the two areas which have the highest proportion of ex-Californians, Medford and Bend, are solidly Republican and perhaps more conservative and religious than the state overall. So your phrase "conservative, Californian-hating vibes" is an oxymoron.

From your pseudonym, it's clear that you've got a chip on your shoulder, and apparently have been carrying it around for years? I suppose it is futile to give you the obvious advice that you'd be a happier person, and make more friends wherever you go, if you dropped that chip. If you're seeking an open, accepting, welcoming attitude, wherever you look for it, you're more likely to find it if you project that same attitude, rather than the opposite.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:20 AM

642 posts, read 3,072,120 times
Quote:
The northwest has lots of refugees from California, but they are in general the more conservative ex-Californians. For example, the two areas which have the highest proportion of ex-Californians, Medford and Bend, are solidly Republican and perhaps more conservative and religious than the state overall. So your phrase "conservative, Californian-hating vibes" is an oxymoron.
This is extremely well stated, especially the point about being more religious than Portland and Seattle. Also the oxymoron is just so perfectly summarized as well. I really have to agree with this.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:32 AM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
"open-minded", Seattle wins hands down. No question there.

I'd say move of what fairweathergolfer said was accurate. Generally speaking, people are less judgemental in Seattle.

Portland is certainly more liberal and at times a bit more radical when it comes to politics. People there seem to have much stronger feelings when it comes to political issues that effect their area (minus education). While at times I feel it's a vocal minority that expresses these views in Portland, voting indicates support for these views..

Having said that, both are great places to live.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:24 PM

8 posts, read 80,930 times
Give me break! This whold anti-California attitude is way overblown. I'm a native Californian and I was accepted by people in Portland and Seattle just fine; not to mention, just about everyone is from California anyway. Portland is more liberal and open-minded, and their government is run that way. Seattle has a liberal culture, but it's government is more conservative/big business influence. Seattle being bigger has more to do with the fact that Boeing was founded in Seattle and the area was pumped full of money during WWII to build aircraft and ships followed by several military bases that were opened nearby; not taxes or business climate.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:52 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,781,529 times
Hello,

How does Seattle compare to Portland in terms of social liberalism, for example, I am an atheist vegetarian without a car, does that lifestyle fit Seattle as well as Portland? Would Seattle be just as accepting?

Just for reference, I tend to be a big-business fiscal conservative, which it sounds like Seattle is much better for. How do the taxes compare to Oregon?

Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:35 AM

19 posts, read 75,819 times
Depends what you define as liberal. If you define liberal as people who talk out their backsides non stop and a certain preference for cronyism and ecological subterfuge, then yes, Portland is quite liberal.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 AM

479 posts, read 2,223,265 times
Either city would be fine, just depends which one you like more.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:06 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,108,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
non intellectuals that act like they no it all.
That's funny.

Seattle = limo liberals who live rich and like to talk lefty talk
Portland = ex-hippie kooks. You MUST conform to their diversity!

Both are "left coast" cities, although you can think of Seattle as more white collar libs and Portland as more blue collar libs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area