Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,588 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm looking for advice/tips on where to live... I will be working at Lewis/McChord and my husband will be working at SeaTac Airport. Looking at a map we were thinking Federal Way, so the commute for both of us would be about the same. We are expecting our first child and want to live in a safe/family friendly area. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 PM

157 posts, read 218,236 times
Federal Way is nice-ish. I go there for my Korean grocery shopping haha.

I'd also recommend exploring Fife, and some parts of Des Moines are pretty nice too.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,333 times
Default Guidance

Hey, I read your post and was wondering how your experiences have been thus far. I was recently offered an employment position in Lewis McChord, but would prefer to live in Seattle, as I am from a big city and big cities are where I am most comfortable. How is it commuting back and forth? Are there any neighborhoods you might recommend? What areas in Seattle are closest to Lewis McChord? Thanks.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 AM

157 posts, read 218,236 times
zyx321cba, Ft. Lewis to Seattle is a long drive... expect at least a 1 hr drive going one way, and that's assuming there is no traffic, and excluding whatever distance you'd be covering once you're on base, and driving through Seattle to wherever you'd LIke to live. Bad traffic is a pretty regular occurrence depending on the hours you drive. Expect to see jams around the Tacoma dome, as well as when you're approaching the I-90 area heading into or leaving Seattle. Sorry to be a Debbie downer, but an hour away is the closest Seattle would be from Ft. Lewis.

If you decide you do want to put up with the traffic and commute, and you're really into the night life and exploring downtown, anywhere between Capitol Hill and Belltown are pretty active areas. I have quite a few friends who enjoy living in those areas, as there's always a new and interesting story to tell.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I make that drive several times a year, usually after work in Seattle. An hour is good for early morning on a weekend, on a Friday afternoon it can take two hours. You would be going the opposite direction which is not as bad, instead of backed up the whole way it's only pockets of jammed up traffic in places along the way as you pass through Dupont, Tacoma, then Fife, then Federal Way and then into Seattle. Though no Seattle, Tacoma is decent sized city with 200,000 and a much better commute.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,327 times
I would not recommend living in Seattle and traveling to Ft. Lewis unless you are willing to commit two hours each way. Traffic slows down around Fife when one the lane consolidates into an exit ramp. Then as you hit the Tacoma Dome, traffic slows down again. I have not traveled down to Ft Lewis during the morning rush, but I imagine those exits get backed up, also.

I think Sumner would be a good place to start a family. It has that cozy small town feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area