Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:13 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times

Advertisements

We live in Denver colorado, I LOVE it completely. A little background, Iwas born and raised in Portland oregon. Situation here now is, my husband cannot find a job that pays enough to live. He is in construction. I have been a stay at home mom for 10 years so the biggest job I will get is retail. Well an old buddy just offered him a great job in Washington, around Seattle paying 70000 a year. Which is more than he is getting offered here. We dont want to lose our rears here in the winter and we are tempted to take the job, although our kids will be upset. I am at a loss, I havent been to the PNW in 6 years and never lived in Washington. can we make it on that and where would we live that has good schools and family feel? thanks so much for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 11:37 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,193 times
Your husband should take the job. What are you waiting for? As far as schools, move to the Eastside. You should also be able to land a job in retail as there are plenty of shopping centers everywhere.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:40 AM

Any suggestions on towns? he will be working from Everett to south of Seattle. I dont know the area at all.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:00 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
Are you looking to buy a home? Do you have any equity?

All the good schools are on the Eastside: Redmond, Bellevue and Issaquah - but the homes are very very pricey

Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Are you looking to buy a home? Do you have any equity?

All the good schools are on the Eastside: Redmond, Bellevue and Issaquah - but the homes are very very pricey
No renting is what we will do for now. How is snohomish county?

Old 11-02-2007, 12:02 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
Your husband should take the job. What are you waiting for? As far as schools, move to the Eastside. You should also be able to land a job in retail as there are plenty of shopping centers everywhere.
I don't think 70k is enough to buy a house and live on the Eastside anymore unfortunatley. Your best bet is to move somewhere in Snohomsih Co. I live in an 'average' Bellevue neighborhood and a smaller-sized house down the street from me just went up for almost 900k!

Old 11-02-2007, 12:26 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
Renting is a good way to go - but you will be needing to afford 2K a month at least

Snohomish County is nice

Old 11-03-2007, 04:04 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
We live in Denver colorado, I LOVE it completely. A little background, Iwas born and raised in Portland oregon. Situation here now is, my husband cannot find a job that pays enough to live. He is in construction. I have been a stay at home mom for 10 years so the biggest job I will get is retail. Well an old buddy just offered him a great job in Washington, around Seattle paying 70000 a year. Which is more than he is getting offered here. We dont want to lose our rears here in the winter and we are tempted to take the job, although our kids will be upset. I am at a loss, I havent been to the PNW in 6 years and never lived in Washington. can we make it on that and where would we live that has good schools and family feel? thanks so much for any advice.
Personally, I think you will have a hard time making it here. Living is very expensive. Seattle ranks ten in the US---most expensive cities to live in. The average home sells for $400plus. In a few years we will be retiring and leaving here. Where do we plan to go? Colorado----and that says it all. The money may sound good but they tax you to death. Have you heard about the Seattle freeze?????Read the thread. Also, Seattle gets not very much sun so that would be a huge change for you all. The best schools are in the most expensive places and crime is higher here than where you are. My thought is why not go to school---get something better than a retail job. Oh, and I also might add that you husband could take a few classes too. Last but not least, this area is very liberal-----not like conservative Colorado. If you do decide to move-----my advice would be to stay away from King county and look for something in Snohomish county----stay away from Everett. Monroe might be an option. Sorry but that is what I think. I do wish you well and a lot of luck. It is a tough world out there.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
Personally, I think you will have a hard time making it here. Living is very expensive. Seattle ranks ten in the US---most expensive cities to live in. The average home sells for $400plus. In a few years we will be retiring and leaving here. Where do we plan to go? Colorado----and that says it all. The money may sound good but they tax you to death. Have you heard about the Seattle freeze?????Read the thread. Also, Seattle gets not very much sun so that would be a huge change for you all. The best schools are in the most expensive places and crime is higher here than where you are. My thought is why not go to school---get something better than a retail job. Oh, and I also might add that you husband could take a few classes too. Last but not least, this area is very liberal-----not like conservative Colorado. If you do decide to move-----my advice would be to stay away from King county and look for something in Snohomish county----stay away from Everett. Monroe might be an option. Sorry but that is what I think. I do wish you well and a lot of luck. It is a tough world out there.
Thanks. But the weather will not be an issue since I grew up in oregon, used to it. There is no money here in Denver. My husband has 22 years expereince and a management degree, they still will not pay a livable wage. Construction is in the toilet. We love the weather here, but that is no reason to financially kill one selves. Winter here is rough especially in construction. I have no problem going to school but it takes money and child care. Atleast there we wouldnt have to worry about the next job all the time. Denver is very liberal so I am used to that as well. We are looking in Snonomish area county and town, so far the rent is cheaper there than here. I think we will be Ok, plus family is in Portland, here we have no one.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:20 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Thanks. But the weather will not be an issue since I grew up in oregon, used to it. There is no money here in Denver. My husband has 22 years expereince and a management degree, they still will not pay a livable wage. Construction is in the toilet. We love the weather here, but that is no reason to financially kill one selves. Winter here is rough especially in construction. I have no problem going to school but it takes money and child care. Atleast there we wouldnt have to worry about the next job all the time. Denver is very liberal so I am used to that as well. We are looking in Snonomish area county and town, so far the rent is cheaper there than here. I think we will be Ok, plus family is in Portland, here we have no one.
Hey,sounds like you already have made up your mind. Then I welcome you to here and wish you all the best. Snohomish and Monroe are nice small towns and you would do well to stick to these areas. I moved here two years ago and love where I live. I could not have picked a better spot. I did have help. If their is anything I can do to help you, please feel free to contact me. I live in snohomish county and had to start from scratch. vnodak@msn.com Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area