Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:09 AM

102,115 posts, read 107,323,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aClockwork0range View Post
Hey all!

So I wanted to post a subjective question to all the local Sea-heads and see if a concensus would be reached.

I've seen it mentioned on these boards a few times that there is a shortage of masculine, manlier men in the greater Seattle area and this is an aspect many single women complain about. Would you say for a transplant like myself who is very blue-collar and always told I am an alpha sort of Man's man that I may have a distinct advantage over the average joe in Seattle because of my different flavor?

On the east coast where I'm from, the masculinity flows like wine so no one really stands out, but this is an interesting notion about Seattle and one I would not have had if not for seeing a few locals mention this on the board.

I thought I'd get a broader perspective, so ladies(and even gents), feel free to chime in and let me know your thoughts on the appeal of a markedly manlier man and his level of attraction on the fairer sex.

Oh and in order to cut through the treacle, let's say all other factors are equal for the sake of this discussion. Please simply address this variable on it's own.
You're reading a lot of your own stuff into the posts that you've seen here. All people say is that men are less friendly and less likely to approach women in Seattle. It's a reference to the Seattle Freeze phenomenon. Doesn't really relate to "manly men". Anyone willing to approach women will be at an advantage over the introverts and stand-offish types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 11:08 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,148,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I would definitely look into those areas as opposed to Seattle city which is GENERALLY infested with artsy, hipster, super left type women who GENERALLY much prefer the same in a dude. But, if that is your type then you will be in heaven here. Good luck!
I would agree with you on this point. I'm 6'4 and 215 lbs and I look the part of a conservative, republican, clean cut alpha. With few exceptions, the image that I portrait is NOT the flavor du jour in metro Seattle these days. It doesn't bother me much because I am happily married. But I do feel sorry for single guys that share the same characteristics as me.

But the good news is that if you venture outside of metro Seattle, there are women that will find this look appealing.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:35 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Lol, excuse my typo. You have me wondering now, are Californians more obsessed with wealth than PNW folk? I know money is all that matters here. I'm just wondering if it's the same up north?
Seattle has no shortage of money. 3 of the richest men in the world live here (Gates, Allen, Bezos), and if you include Portland, Phil Knight...all billionaires many times over.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I would agree with you on this point. I'm 6'4 and 215 lbs and I look the part of a conservative, republican, clean cut alpha. With few exceptions, the image that I portrait is NOT the flavor du jour in metro Seattle these days. It doesn't bother me much because I am happily married. But I do feel sorry for single guys that share the same characteristics as me.

But the good news is that if you venture outside of metro Seattle, there are women that will find this look appealing.
Nah, if you're a testosterone driven man's man there will always be women who like that. Women are women wherever you go and pure sex appeal sells anywhere. I know what you mean though - in Cap Hill or other hipster strongholds, the clean-cut meathead thing may not go over that well and you may be a little out of place, but out in the burbs like Bellevue/Redmond/Kirkland the preppy chicks go for that stuff.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:57 PM

143 posts, read 333,486 times
Yea bro, I agree with all the above posts from people... Most of these Seattle chicks are kinda strange and they say they're "Liberal" but that just means they'll try anything once. I'm a former college football player, and I feel like I'm prejudged everywhere I go. If I do pass the red tape w/ a woman here, they would rather "play around" for a night with me rather than anything with substance, if thats what you're looking for, you'll be able to find plenty of that, even with the "Hipster" girls. But yea, those type of girls love to get the opportunity to say you're "douchey" and anything you do that they don't like is "douchey"... lol whatever. Just don't get your hopes up too much when you come here man. Lot's of beautiful women, but overall they just act plane weird.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:29 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,543,738 times
This thread will soon be obsolete. As some in society do their best to create a unisex world where there is absolutely no difference between men and women, being manly will be a strange concept. There will be no gender roles. You'll be considered a sexist for opening the door for a woman. The very word "manly" will have been wiped from our vocabulary right alongside snowMAN and MANhole. There will be no men's and women's departments at Nordstrom, just a single clothes department. You'll be scorned for telling your son to take it like a man after he falls at the playground. You'll be shamed for treating your daughter like a princess. All gender roles will be vanquished. Not just for those who choose so, but for everyone. Those of us who haven't yet jumped off a bridge to end the misery will remember the good ole days before we neutered Frosty and made him an ambiguous snow person

Old 05-26-2013, 08:47 AM

16,583 posts, read 27,314,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
This thread will soon be obsolete. As some in society do their best to create a unisex world where there is absolutely no difference between men and women, being manly will be a strange concept. There will be no gender roles. You'll be considered a sexist for opening the door for a woman. The very word "manly" will have been wiped from our vocabulary right alongside snowMAN and MANhole. There will be no men's and women's departments at Nordstrom, just a single clothes department. You'll be scorned for telling your son to take it like a man after he falls at the playground. You'll be shamed for treating your daughter like a princess. All gender roles will be vanquished. Not just for those who choose so, but for everyone. Those of us who haven't yet jumped off a bridge to end the misery will remember the good ole days before we neutered Frosty and made him an ambiguous snow person
You are absolutely right. Some of this stuff is already happening like, telling your bot to take it like a man. I've heard guys get scorned for saying that.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:32 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,148,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1585 View Post
Yea bro, I agree with all the above posts from people... Most of these Seattle chicks are kinda strange and they say they're "Liberal" but that just means they'll try anything once. I'm a former college football player, and I feel like I'm prejudged everywhere I go. If I do pass the red tape w/ a woman here, they would rather "play around" for a night with me rather than anything with substance, if thats what you're looking for, you'll be able to find plenty of that, even with the "Hipster" girls. But yea, those type of girls love to get the opportunity to say you're "douchey" and anything you do that they don't like is "douchey"... lol whatever. Just don't get your hopes up too much when you come here man. Lot's of beautiful women, but overall they just act plane weird.
I hear you! If I were single again, I'd focus on playing co-ed sports which are very popular in Seattle. This will draw out women that enjoy hanging around guys like us. During my many years in Seattle, I've played co-ed volleyball, softball, tennis and football. Ended up getting a lot of dates thru these activities.

Give the boot to the liberal hipster chicks, they aren't worth the effort and 9/10 times you'll clash like oil and water.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:28 PM

305 posts, read 449,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Give the boot to the liberal hipster chicks, they aren't worth the effort and 9/10 times you'll clash like oil and water.
I couldn't agree more. Actually, give the boot to all white chicks in general and focus on the Asians. That's where true success awaits you.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:07 PM

16,583 posts, read 27,314,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Actually, give the boot to all white chicks in general and focus on the Asians. That's where true success awaits you.
This is a very loaded statement and since I like playing with fire, I'm gonna ask a very loaded question; Why is this so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area