Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:00 AM

10 posts, read 10,864 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

So I wanted to post a subjective question to all the local Sea-heads and see if a concensus would be reached.

I've seen it mentioned on these boards a few times that there is a shortage of masculine, manlier men in the greater Seattle area and this is an aspect many single women complain about. Would you say for a transplant like myself who is very blue-collar and always told I am an alpha sort of Man's man that I may have a distinct advantage over the average joe in Seattle because of my different flavor?

On the east coast where I'm from, the masculinity flows like wine so no one really stands out, but this is an interesting notion about Seattle and one I would not have had if not for seeing a few locals mention this on the board.

I thought I'd get a broader perspective, so ladies(and even gents), feel free to chime in and let me know your thoughts on the appeal of a markedly manlier man and his level of attraction on the fairer sex.

Oh and in order to cut through the treacle, let's say all other factors are equal for the sake of this discussion. Please simply address this variable on it's own.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
There are plenty of outdoorsy men given the options near Seattle for all forms of recreation. Are you loaded? Money is always give men the best advantage no matter where you are, sorry.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Define "manly."

Out here there are several types of men, just like any large city. Women will be attracted to guys who are self confident no matter where you are.

That said, there are a lot of shy, nerdy-type men out here.

That also being said, there's a lot of shy, nerdy girls out here too. So they won't go for the ******* A-type "go back to the other coast" type of guy.

But if you are physically fit, don't put your ego on your sleeve, and don't b*tch about the weather or how "cold" people are, you'll do fine. Go forth my child, and just be cool!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:07 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
I never understand why dating is framed as a competiton. But what do I know, I'm married.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:52 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I never understand why dating is framed as a competiton. But what do I know, I'm married.
Basic human psychology, it *IS* a competition.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:55 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Basic human psychology, it *IS* a competition.
^This

Old 05-19-2013, 09:19 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Having lived in Portland Oregon previously....

I always felt that the men in the PNW were basically the way they were, because that's the way the women liked them.

A 'Manly Man'...is going to be perceived as a meathead type, who doesn't read books, watches too much sports, and leans on the sexist side. Generally, that will repel most PNW women.

Besides there are more than enough 'going hiking or kayaking' types or 'going to the gym' types who also read, stay informed, and everything else.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:30 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
There are plenty of outdoorsy men given the options near Seattle for all forms of recreation. Are you loaded? Money is always give men the best advantage no matter where you are, sorry.

Spoken like a true Californian.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:09 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Spoken like a true Californian.
Lol, excuse my typo. You have me wondering now, are Californians more obsessed with wealth than PNW folk? I know money is all that matters here. I'm just wondering if it's the same up north?

Old 05-19-2013, 11:19 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Lol, excuse my typo. You have me wondering now, are Californians more obsessed with wealth than PNW folk? I know money is all that matters here. I'm just wondering if it's the same up north?
Well, even in CA, LA takes the cake with that, followed by the Bay Area then San Diego. My experience with PNW women is restricted to the small towns so I don't have much point of reference for the whole region but they are definitely more down to the earth the the small town CA women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area