Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:46 PM

8 posts, read 30,167 times

Advertisements

strongly considering moving to issaquah. cant tell the actual population (24,000 or 63,000?) but see that it has everything my husband and i want in an permanent residence - quiet, nature, excellent schools, green, mountains, water, and a decent commute into seattle.

i read one post that said race doesn't seem to matter in issaquah, but asking others now, just to be sure. is it an open-minded town, overall? any stories or personal experiences?

on another note... are there any major stores in the area? any thunderstorms? any cougars venturing into town?

thanks in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 01:23 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Quote:
are there any major stores in the area? any thunderstorms? any cougars venturing into town?
Yes, not really, Yes.

You will have no problems and will love it.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:49 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,448 times
Most Eastside neighborhoods are pretty integrated and race isn't a big deal. My street on Mercer Island has just about every race, creed and color known and we all get along fine.

It's probably the same in Seattle.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:48 AM

522 posts, read 2,627,009 times
We love it here in Issaquah!

Major stores are:

Bed Bath & Beyond
Pier 1
Target
Linens & things
Trader Joes
Barnes & Nobles
Costco
Petco

and tons more!!!!

Old 11-03-2007, 10:15 AM

8 posts, read 30,167 times
Thumbs up i'm excited about it

thanks for the responses! not very many cities or towns have such great reviews! love the fact that it has so many stores, that it's diverse, and fast-growing. can't wait to check out the zoo, the state park, and the hiking trails.

curious about the cougars/other wildlife venturing into town.

very concerned that we don't see any homes for rent in the area - we want to rent for a year until we're established, then buy a home. haven't lived in an apartment in 7 years, and we have 3 small children (one should start preschool when we move). any referrals, anyone?

saw an interesting comment that some spots in the area are considered mysterious or magical - legend or folklore? were there any fun-spooky Halloween events last week?

much appreciation!

Old 11-03-2007, 01:44 PM

Do you mean the Cougar Mountain Zoo? It's... well, it's what it is. Don't get hyped up about it, but do go and pay it a visit once. It's expensive for what it is - which is basically rehab'd animals, lemurs, tigers, macaws, reindeer... and maybe one other thing. You can buy apples to feed to the animals and that's pretty cool. Good for little ones who may not make it through a huge zoo experience, kinda boring for older kids.

Still, it's an organization worthy of support. The Seattle Zoo is very nice. The Aquarium is crap but I am also used to the Baltimore aquarium....

Anyway, I love Issaquah. Look in Klahanie for rentals...

Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 PM

21 posts, read 94,405 times
The cougars do take small dogs and cats from our old neighborhood on Cougar MT. They are not roaming all over, there are some bear sightings but no one is being killed by cougars or bears. Issaquah is a GREAT place to raise a family. Klahanie is a rental area that is safe and welcoming. All of Issaquah and Bellevue for that matter is like the United Nations. Tons of different looking people, lots of cultures, very diverse. No one cares, real accepting has been my experience. Tons of shopping everywhere and SOOO many free and beautiful parks on the lakes and all around. We just moved from being there a decade and I soooooooo miss it. Stunning area. Carnation and Preston and Snoqualmie Ridge are cheaper areas to live. Issaquah is getting congested and built up but it is so nice. You will absolutely love it. The main Seattle Zoo is wonderful. Cougar MT, well not so much. There is a Mom's Club of Issaquah you could join to meet people if so inclined.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Believe the posts -- no one cares here about race, and many cultures and ethnicities live comfortably together in the residential areas and in the schools, just about everywhere in western WA. This is a KIND place...

As for cougars, you should be so lucky as to see one! Not very likely, and in my 22 years here I've heard about mountain lions in California residential developments, but no cougars here in western WA. However, if you live next to a dense forest, you might see a bear once in a while. I've seen that on the local news a few times each year, and have never once heard of the bears doing anything painful to the humans whose back yards they traverse. Animal Control has a set routine to capture, sedate, and then relocate the bears into much more remote areas.

As Jenbar said, Cougar Mt. Zoo is not too thrilling. The "zoo" you've hear about might be the Woodland Park Zoo in the midst of Seattle. Now THAT'S a class act! Thrilling, large for a smallish zoo, and realistic environs for the animals. I once had long, quiet eye contact with a white Arctic Wolf there, many yards distant through the trees, and I'll never forget that communication. Bears, Heffalumps, all sorts of exciting aminils. Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle WA

Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
No - correction: I remember one cougar sighting, photographed by a resident, and then silence. (Was the silence because the resident AND camera were attacked, killed, and dragged off into the mountains? Hahahaha. Sorry - couldn't resist!)

But seriously, folks, your life is not likely to be in danger from big furry animals unless you actually live in the mountainous forests, or go frolicking alone, smelling like freshly-killed meat, in the same forests.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:24 AM

Klahanie is now known as a rental area?? It's been years since I lived there, but when I was there - that wasn't the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area