Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 22,156 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have opinions of the elementary schools surrounding the Interlake High School area? It seems although Interlake ranks high on the best high schools list, the surrounding elementary schools (specifically Ardmore and Sherwood Heights) rank much lower.
I realize the population is diverse and that Interlake scores higher due to their gifted/IB/AP offerings, but are the surrounding elementary schools really that bad? (Great Schools are School Digger rate them a 4 or 5 out of 10)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:23 PM

689 posts, read 973,897 times
Bennett Elementary is your best choice within the Interlake community. Agreed that Sherwood and Ardmore are not your best choices, just too many ESL kids. Bennett is very good and does have a liberal open enrollment policy, but it's past the application deadline for this year, so you'd need to be living within the zone. Honestly, I cannot recommend any of the apartments that feed into the school, since most of them are just not appealing for many reasons.

Bennett sits inside a wonderful housing development and also serves a wide scope of other good neighborhoods that prefer this elementary over their own schools. There are rental homes in the area, but I can see that securing one is a major struggle long-distance, and at this busy time of year.

If you haven't already, you could check craigslist for condo rentals. We have many owners who rent to newcomers and the quality of the units is often superior to the older houses you've been seeing. Also, just wondering if you've contacted a rental agent? There are people here who work on commission and will search for an apartment, but not sure if they work long distance. Also, you haven't mentioned what company you are moving here for, but some of the larger companies do use relocation consultants for incoming employees to help them get settled.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,916 times
Whenever I've looked at Great Schools there might be 20 reviews. When there's 100+ reviews I'll perceive some value to the score. There can be bad teachers at any school because it's hard to fire them. Inflexible rules (e.g. first grader gets handcuffed and arrested for having a plastic knife from a fast food restaurant) make for angry parents. Tiger parents get upset if the curriculum isn't to their liking. These are nationwide problems. I doubt that any Bellevue public school is much worse than another on average, and they all seem good relative to schools in other places. ESL students are a mixed bag. They might hold back the class somewhat but add beneficial diversity. The teachers still have to follow the curriculum to the letter but the school gets a lower score on the standardized tests.

Last edited by Jalhop; 05-22-2013 at 09:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area