Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaukne View Post
OK - I really can't think Seattle will be a downgrade culturally from MN. I am still optimistic in this move. Has anyone who has lived in both areas and experienced MN Nice and the Seattle Freeze confirm from their first hand experience it is worse there than MN?
I can't comment specifically on MN, but I spent a good portion of my life in South Dakota, in a town just 15 miles from the MN border so I think it's pretty similar. After having lived there most of my life followed by 10 years in Nebraska before moving out here, I would have to say it's really not much different out here in regards to the people. I've been here 4 years, and the level of "nice" or "friendly" here is the same as back there really. This whole "Seattle Freeze" thing is really overblown in my mind, people I work with here in Seattle proper are just as friendly and outgoing as they are in my suburb of Lynnwood or as they were back home in the SD/NE areas.

And the whole thing someone else mentioned about hating Seattle after a couple of years. That can be said about any city, and no place is perfect for everyone. But there is not much NOT to like about this area- and I don't know many who dislike it here, it's an amazing place to live! 4 years and counting, and not a day/week goes by that we don't comment how glad we are to be living here now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 12:31 PM

54 posts, read 123,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I moved here last year in July with 4 kids ages 16, 13, 12 and 8. None of them has had trouble making friends (except the 13 year old who has autism, but the school has been SO good to her, I can't even begin to tell you how awesome it's been). My 16 year old was the "goth chick" in NC who fit right in here with the anime and cosplay geeks. My 12 year old had a bit of a struggle if only because this area is small (we are in Woodinville, and it seems like most people have lived here FOREVER and already have established social circles). BUT she has 2 close friends now, and seems to be doing fine. My son is 8 and has way more friends here than he ever did in NC. We are atheists and geeky and we did not fit in in ultra conservative and religious Charlotte, NC. Here? We're just like everyone else
It depends a lot upon your social-economic background, which parts of Seattle you're in, and your personality. Like I said, there will be certain types of people who love it here. If you're into outdoor activities and less into socializing, trying to avoid troubles, can stand gloomy weather, liberal to a certain degrees and die-hard Obama supporter (Simply agree with some liberal policies is not enough.), college educated, or you're one of those types who try to raise your kids here (People like that got that dedication for them to last through the weirdness of Seattle people. I don't agree with their way of raising kids but they do whatever they want.), you'll like it a lot more than.

But on the other hands, if you're...let's say, blue-collar workers, single, young, into socializing, with little tolerance of weirdos, or you're here for more economic reasons, I say avoid here like plagues.

Also the parts of Seattle you're in also matters...let's say, South King County usually are better in regard of "freeze" and nerdiness, while the rest of Seattle is on the medium scale in these regards. Then you got certain neighborhoods in Downtown Seattle and Eastside...if that's the place you're moving to, I say go sign up some yoga class and anger management, you'll need it.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:51 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
I went to QFC over the weekend and stood behind a young hipster kid in the check out line. The cashier was trying to be nice and asked how his day was going etc. The kid stared at his cellphone the entire time and never once acknowledged or said anything to the cashier who was just trying to be friendly and cordial. Classic Seattle Freeze.

But you know what? I chalk some of this up to a generational thing. Ever think that some of these young kids won't socialize with anybody who is not on their Facebook friends list? Talk about scary!

You can't let this stuff get you down tho. I find it best to ignore those people ....or better yet make fun of them

Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM

115 posts, read 205,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I moved here last year in July with 4 kids ages 16, 13, 12 and 8. None of them has had trouble making friends (except the 13 year old who has autism, but the school has been SO good to her, I can't even begin to tell you how awesome it's been). My 16 year old was the "goth chick" in NC who fit right in here with the anime and cosplay geeks. My 12 year old had a bit of a struggle if only because this area is small (we are in Woodinville, and it seems like most people have lived here FOREVER and already have established social circles). BUT she has 2 close friends now, and seems to be doing fine. My son is 8 and has way more friends here than he ever did in NC. We are atheists and geeky and we did not fit in in ultra conservative and religious Charlotte, NC. Here? We're just like everyone else
Thank you. Honestly, nobody had really mentioned how their kids were affected, if at all. My daughter is 8, and I am actually looking in that area, as I'll be attending L.W.I.T in Kirkland, and rent seems a little easier to swallow in Woodinville and Bothell. Maybe they will end up in the same class.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I went to QFC over the weekend and stood behind a young hipster kid in the check out line. The cashier was trying to be nice and asked how his day was going etc. The kid stared at his cellphone the entire time and never once acknowledged or said anything to the cashier who was just trying to be friendly and cordial. Classic Seattle Freeze.

But you know what? I chalk some of this up to a generational thing. Ever think that some of these young kids won't socialize with anybody who is not on their Facebook friends list? Talk about scary!

You can't let this stuff get you down tho. I find it best to ignore those people ....or better yet make fun of them
That's not really something you're going to only see in Seattle. I see people who remain on their cellphones in the checkout line or at dinner or wherever all over the US...and even outside the US. You're right that it's more a generational thing.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:48 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

The Freeze is not about teens or 20-somethings attached to their technology, though. All ages decline to respond to a friendly chat in the check-out line, and no one is friendly when passing on the street or at the bus stop. That's very different from some other parts of the country. Sure, people coming from MN, WI, or the Dakotas may not notice a difference. But people coming form CA or TX will notice a big one. People can be downright rude, like turning their back to you when you ask a simple question.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:02 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:

Exactly! This is definitely not something to blame on Seattle, you'd see this with any random young hipster type in any region of the country. I certainly saw it back home in the Midwest.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:02 PM

83 posts, read 247,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I can't comment specifically on MN, but I spent a good portion of my life in South Dakota, in a town just 15 miles from the MN border so I think it's pretty similar. After having lived there most of my life followed by 10 years in Nebraska before moving out here, I would have to say it's really not much different out here in regards to the people. I've been here 4 years, and the level of "nice" or "friendly" here is the same as back there really. This whole "Seattle Freeze" thing is really overblown in my mind, people I work with here in Seattle proper are just as friendly and outgoing as they are in my suburb of Lynnwood or as they were back home in the SD/NE areas.

And the whole thing someone else mentioned about hating Seattle after a couple of years. That can be said about any city, and no place is perfect for everyone. But there is not much NOT to like about this area- and I don't know many who dislike it here, it's an amazing place to live! 4 years and counting, and not a day/week goes by that we don't comment how glad we are to be living here now.
Thanks JM - very helpful!

I'm originally a NoDak (Fargo) guy so SD is pretty much the same for me. The March weather would be so much better! My grandma was a 1st generation Swede and we were raised with MN Nice - I'm ready for the Freeze because my family is the Freeze

Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM

219 posts, read 436,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The Freeze is not about teens or 20-somethings attached to their technology, though. All ages decline to respond to a friendly chat in the check-out line, and no one is friendly when passing on the street or at the bus stop. That's very different from some other parts of the country. Sure, people coming from MN, WI, or the Dakotas may not notice a difference. But people coming form CA or TX will notice a big one. People can be downright rude, like turning their back to you when you ask a simple question.
This is some strange thing y'all got going on in Seattle. Make me so glad I'm a Cali dude!

Old 06-10-2013, 04:36 PM

61 posts, read 104,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Dear Lord please don't let this ridiculous thread frighten you. Your kids will be fine, it's a great place to grow up. Here's the last thing I'll add - talk of the Seattle freeze is an internet-only phenomenon. You will never hear people in real life bring it up, it really only exists as a chat room ghost story for those that have a bone to pick with Seattle to rally around. You can find similar ghost stories, online of course, for EVERY CITY IN THE COUNTRY. It's funny when people post "well I googled it and there were thousands of posts about hating Seattle... " lol
Of course they won't bring it up much because that would mean they would actually.....oh never mind..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area