Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times

Advertisements

Hello Seattle people! So my friend and her mother will be going to Seattle from this Friday, June 21st, until June 26th. They'll be staying in Bellevue. So far they are planning to go to Pike's Place on Saturday, and then the Fremont Sunday market the next day, and the Space Needle in Monday, and they'll go to Vancouver, Canada for Tuesday. So here are some things they'd like help with.

1. What is the least expensive way to get around the city? Are there tourist passes?

2. My friend is definitely a foodie, and also a vegetarian. What are some good restaurants they could go to?

3. Are there any other shopping districts or cool little things they should check out?

4. And any random ideas you all may have.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 12:32 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
This is just my take, someone else will obviously say something different.

1. Get a day bus pass. I think they're like $5 or $7. You can get them at the bus station in Westlake (?) Another option, if you're confident about your city driving (more important parking) skills is to rent a Car2Go or Zipcar.
2. Broadway Ave in the Capitol Hill neighborhood will provide most of that for you. All neighborhoods have their small hub of foodie paradise, but Capitol Hill has the most on one street I would say.
3. What kind of shopping? If you're just interested in franchisey, big corporations then go to Westlake in downtown. H&M, Barney's, Nordstrom, Macy's. If you're looking for local stuff...again, I'd say Capitol Hill, Ballard, maybe Fremont, and perhaps UDistrict. California Ave in West Seattle also has some cool little vintage shops, but that's probably out of your way from where you're likely going to stay.
4. Summer Soltice parade begins on Friday and it'll be in the Fremont area. There will be lots of naked people FYI. Maybe check out Golden Gardens Beach or anywhere on Lake Washington since you'll be on the Eastside.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I can't imagine that it would take a full day to see the market or the needle, I'd combine those into one day. If they have not been here before, and have a car in Bellevue, they might go through Carnation, Fall City and up to Snoqualmie Falls,
and the railroad museum in Snoqualmie. A Harbor tour on one of the Argosy ships would also be fun, as is a walk along the waterfront. The Fremont Fair being 6/21-23 will give them a good idea of the more eccentric side of Seattle, but if they are easily shocked or dislike large crowds they may want to skip the Fremont Market.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:37 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Vast majority of restaurants that are rated well (just refer to Yelp) will have vegetarian choices on their menu, and respect them as well (i.e. no using the same pan to stir fry veggies that also had meat in it in a prior dish).

Capitol Hill is one choice. U District has a great many vegetarian / vegan only establishments (Indian, Thai, and Korean predominantly). But then again the U district is primarily meant for poor college kids, so if you're OK being harassed by bums and walking in a filthy neighborhood, that's fine. The restaurants are pretty good if you can stand that.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 PM

136 posts, read 244,578 times
If they are looking at seeing some attractions I recommend the Seattle City Pass. It is $74 per person and covers the space needle, the Seattle Aquarium, Argosy Cruises (this one is a great way to see the city), the Pacific Science Center (this one is a bit dated and is more fun with kids), EMP museum, then choose between the Museum of Flight or the Woodland Park Zoo.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times
Go see Kerry Park- some tourists are not aware of this 1-free park that overlooks city where postcard views of Seattle are photographed
Kerry Park (Seattle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Seattle travel guide - Wikitravel

for veggie pizza-World Pizza in International district is a very good veggie-only pizza joint (they even have a good vegan pizza if u call ahead to order)- people who have been in Seattle for awhile might recall it used to be in Belltown.
World Pizza - International District - Seattle, WA
Enjoy your vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area