Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 PM

872 posts, read 2,029,605 times

Advertisements

So it looks like my office is going to be transferred to Silverdale and my girlfriend's job will (as of now) remain in University Village. So, that seems like it would create a large commute issue.

It looks like we can live in Bremerton and she can take the ferry to downtown with her car. We can live in Bainbridge and she can take the ferry with her car and I can take the ~1 hour bus. We can live in downtown Seattle and I can take the ferry to bremerton and then the bus to Silverdale.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the most cost effective/time effective way to go about it would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Oh, wow... That sucks. Is your work going to pay for some of the ferry?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I work on the waterfont, and several people live on Bainbridge or Bremerton, but it's only a mile or so walk at this end. She would have to drive all the way to the U district as well as the ferry time, and the lowest ferry fare with car is $100/month for 31 rides. Better for you to walk onto the ferry and take the bus.
Longer trip but a lot less money, and you can get a lot of work done on the ferry and bus. Of course rent will be a lot more. Might be time to do a spreadsheet. If it were me, I'd live in Poulsbo, an easy drive or bus trip to Silverdale, and have her drive to Bainbridge, walk on the ferry and up to the bus tunnel and take the bus to UW. It will be harder on her but probably the cheapest way and will provide incentive for her to find a job on the west side of the water. It's also possible to find a carpool or vanpool, if you sign up for
Rideshare.

Rideshare - King County Metro Transit

Old 06-18-2013, 08:40 PM

Thanks Hemlock for the advice. I will say she has an interview with Nordstrom HQ in downtown so if she were to get that, our lives would be much, much easier.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Is she the manager of a store or something in the U village, like a job that can't be transferred?

I'd say this will suck any way you look at it. One of you will be prepared for a 2 hr commute daily. I'd recommend living where it won't break your bank ... and in between U village and Bremerton I'd pick Bremerton.

Or one of you transfer jobs. Take whichever is paid higher mixed with job security, and trade off and whomever has less stability and/or less pay (your mix decides) then will quit.

Or find a new girlfriend ... but I assume you'd rather not do that.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:51 PM

She's not a store manager, but she works for a local organization at the corporate office I say U Village, but not exactly the shopping center.

I did work at our companies corporate office but the decided to split out office out to Silverdale, as they are working on securing new office space either in Seattle or Bellevue. So, it sounds like it will be a 6-12 month issue.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
So, it sounds like it will be a 6-12 month issue.
then maybe don't move?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
then maybe don't move?
Well we have to choose a new place soon (as we are living with a friend until we found out the verdict).

He lives in Kirkland.

Kirkland to Silverdale is easily a 3 hour commute each way. It aint gonna happen.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Well we have to choose a new place soon (as we are living with a friend until we found out the verdict).

He lives in Kirkland.

Kirkland to Silverdale is easily a 3 hour commute each way. It aint gonna happen.
Ok, for some reason I thought you just moved into an apartment in Seattle proper.

I guess pick which side of the sound you want to live on, because obv you can't live on both.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:11 PM

Yeah, I mean, I would love to live in Seattle, but I think it makes sense to just force her to get up early and go haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area