Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 PM

309 posts, read 759,475 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, what neighborhood in Seattle would you say is the most overrated? Also, which neighborhood in Seattle would you say is the most underrated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 01:24 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Underrated:
Greenwood, a lot of charm of the other upscale neighborhoods, but more relaxed, cheaper to live, less traffic, but a bit farther out.

Shoreline, this neighborhood is quite interesting and is really not so bad once you get away from Aurora.. However, many Seattlites are pansies and think any area with a little grime is a "ghetto", when its not.

Seward Park (Wow, what a great neighborhood. All the luxury of Queen Anne or Captiol Hill, but without the commotion and less expensive, away from the Lake. Because it borders Rainier Beach, everyone mistakes it for a ghetto, when it is quite an upscale area..).

Beacon Hill (see above for Seward Park, it's neighbor)

Overrated:
Capitol Hill (San Francisco Prices, but not San Francisco wages, heavy traffic, noise, loud annoying bums, drug pushers on Broadway). Don't get me wrong, Capitol Hill can be entertaining and is nicely located near downtown, but it doesn't match the hype, IMO.

Downtown (It's exciting for special occasions, like celebrating a birthday, wedding, etc but all the traffic, steep hills, expensive parking, some of the shady people on dark street corners at night, Arrghh, not worth it! Unless you have to be there, why go there? ), on a side note, Pikes Place Market is an interesting place.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:45 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Underrated:
Greenwood, a lot of charm of the other upscale neighborhoods, but more relaxed, cheaper to live, less traffic, but a bit farther out.

Shoreline, this neighborhood is quite interesting and is really not so bad once you get away from Aurora.. However, many Seattlites are pansies and think any area with a little grime is a "ghetto", when its not.

Seward Park (Wow, what a great neighborhood. All the luxury of Queen Anne or Captiol Hill, but without the commotion and less expensive, away from the Lake. Because it borders Rainier Beach, everyone mistakes it for a ghetto, when it is quite an upscale area..).

Beacon Hill (see above for Seward Park, it's neighbor)

Overrated:
Capitol Hill (San Francisco Prices, but not San Francisco wages, heavy traffic, noise, loud annoying bums, drug pushers on Broadway). Don't get me wrong, Capitol Hill can be entertaining and is nicely located near downtown, but it doesn't match the hype, IMO.

Downtown (It's exciting for special occasions, like celebrating a birthday, wedding, etc but all the traffic, steep hills, expensive parking, some of the shady people on dark street corners at night, Arrghh, not worth it! Unless you have to be there, why go there? ), on a side note, Pikes Place Market is an interesting place.
I like Greenwood, especially the Greenwood and 85th area. But the part of Greenwood that has less traffic and is cheaper (i.e. North of 90th) in no way has the charm of an upscale neighborhood. Greenwood between 70th and 87th does, but traffic is terrible and prices are relatively high along that stretch.

Shoreline is a suburb (not a neighborhood), and a fairly bland one at that.

Seward Park is a nice neighborhood, but it's nothing like Queen Anne or Capitol Hill in that it is almost entirely residential. You don't get the commercial amenities, vibrancy, or walkability of QA and CH.

Beacon Hill is underrated, but not for the reasons you mentioned. It's actually a bit gritty and not upscale at all. But it does have a subway station smack dab in the middle of it, a growing restaurant and bar scene, and housing is still relatively cheap.

Capitol Hill and Downtown are two of the densest, most walkable, and bustling parts of the City. If you like bars, restaurants, shops, and a lot of commercial activity in general - and prefer to live a car-free lifestyle - these are good places to live. If not, they're probably not worth it.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
So Underrated They're Not On Anyone's Radar:

Pinehurst and Victory Heights, west of the Northgate area. Full of cedar trees, quiet streets, parks, easy walk to grocery & other shopping, 2 coffee shops within an easy walk, even Northgate's walkable, if you don't mind a longer walk. Affordable homes, good neighbors.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:15 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
Maple Leaf, Ravenna, Bryant and Madison Park are some Seattle (in city) neighborhoods you don't hear too much about, but I like them quite a bit.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Let's be clear that overrated and underrated don't mean favorite and least favorite. Or even that I like them. For instance, Lake City is vastly underrated. Do I like the neighborhood? Not particularly. But it has this reputation that it's dangerous, full of gangsters and criminals. In reality, it's little retail district is kind of fun and ethnically diverse. Not so bad, and a whole lot better than people say it is. So...underrated.
Some neighborhoods, which have a lot of heart and soul get a little too popular and then they lose something. Fremont's Greek restaurant, which had been there 25 years, went out of business and was replaced by a Chase Bank branch. Some cool old buildings there have been replaced by new generic looking buildings. Do I like Fremont? Yes, very much. But it's changed and I don't like it as much as I used to. Overrated.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:39 PM

164 posts, read 430,196 times
Personally, as someone who lives on Capitol Hill, it's hard to say its overrated. The Hill is large, and there is plenty of quiet residential living as well as bustling Broadway and the Pike-Pine area. You really can get the best of both worlds.

A few areas I think are underrated are Mt Baker and Seward Park. Also I think Mountlake Terrace (a suburb) looks like a good place to buy now. It has easy access to the freeway, the eateries of Lynnwood and Edmonds, and is full of big trees and quiet.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:09 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
Wallingford is overrated. Everybody thinks this is a hoppin place for people in their 20s. I lived there and the neighborhood is dead. 45th st is boring. Its all retirees and families, with the occasional uw student but not many. Great central location but very residential.

Belltown is also overrated. Lots of nightlife yes but its ghetto at night. Too many bums, it smells, and its dirty. If I had that much money, id live elsewhere.

I think Greenwood is underrated in terms of businesses. Lots of cool cheap restaurants starting to open there. I think it has potential to be like Ballard. But mostly families there.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:24 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
I would agree with Fremont for overrated. I also think West Seattle for me is slightly overrated. Although a nice enough place, it just doesn't do it for me.

I do not think Capitol Hill is overrated...I think it's the best overall neighborhood in Seattle hands down, especially for 20-somethings. But yes it is noisy, expensive, and traffic is pretty bad. Definitely has the most street energy, walk-ability, uniqueness. And like another poster said, Capitol Hill is not just the area around Broadway/Pike/Pine. There are some beautiful tree lined streets between 15th and 23rd & over by Volunteer Park. And the 15th business district is such a cool little commercial area.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Overrated: Capitol Hill (all the character is gone now that they've yuppified all the restaurants along Broadway, hopefully they don't screw up 15th ave next, heaven for fend if they go south or east of 15th!)

Ballard. Honestly it's just another place with bars and restaurants now. Some killer gelato, but that's about it. The rest of the stuff there I can go to Phinney Ridge or Queen Anne now.

Underrated: Phinney Ridge. Awesome views, great neighborhood, family friendly.

Georgetown. Tons of character (probably the only place in the city with any left). Affordable. Only slightly industrial.

Around Northgate. Some people think that just because you see people worshipping Allah in a nearby mosque means that there are terrorists and that since there's a few brothers walking around that they're gonna shoot up the place fighting the Mexicans who have been moving into the area. Please!!! It's a nice area. Besides, this is Seattle, not Tukwila!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area