U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 12:19 PM

71 posts, read 279,780 times

Advertisements

How do you get your favorite teams if your team is not in the Seattle area? I'll be moving from NYC and would miss my Yankees, Jets and Knicks terribly. I can get to see the Yanks when they come into town to play the M's, but the Jets hardly play the Seahawks and The Sonics are about to be moved to Oklaholma. Any ideas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 01:05 PM

64,859 posts, read 54,845,701 times
I have the opposite problem. My favorite baseball team, Seattle Mariners, play in Seattle and I live in the metro Atlanta area(home of the Atlanta Braves). I get M's games whenever they play the Yankees(courtesy of NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.). I also get ESPN so I can get Mariners games that way.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:50 PM

633 posts, read 2,446,079 times
it's called directv and all the sports packages that go with it. I currently live in the SanDiego area but we are big Seahawk fans and Oklahoma Sooner Football fans. I'd die without my directv sports stuff.

Funny, a lot of people spend their extra income on eating out, going to movies, shopping, etc. We spend ours on Directv and plane flights to see our teams play.

I guess we are what you would call true sports "fan"atics

Old 11-07-2007, 05:53 PM

Location: SoCal native (Riverside), now in the Seattle area...
102 posts, read 570,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksweetie View Post
it's called directv and all the sports packages that go with it. I currently live in the SanDiego area but we are big Seahawk fans and Oklahoma Sooner Football fans. I'd die without my directv sports stuff.

Funny, a lot of people spend their extra income on eating out, going to movies, shopping, etc. We spend ours on Directv and plane flights to see our teams play.

I guess we are what you would call true sports "fan"atics
Same here... Been in Seattle three years, but born and raised in SoCal, so my teams are the Lakers, Raiders, Dodgers and UCLA.. I get all the DirecTV packages so I can see 'em play on the tube (yeah, it's boatload of $$, but WTH, you only live once), fly out for a couple games a year in Oakland, and make sure and see the Lakers when they come up here (although that won't be happening too much longer apparently)..

I have kind of adopted the Mariners and the Huskies as my local teams to root for (been a mini-season ticket holder for the Mariners since 2005, and have been to Husky Stadium a couple times), but WILL NOT and CANNOT root for the 'Hawks or Sonics.. Just love the Raiders and Lakers too much to even think of such a thing..

But yeah, like seahawksweetie posted, DirecTV is the way to go.. And as far as the Jets, you can find bars that carry all the games, including yours. And you might even find a booster club in the area.. Lotta NY transplants here I know..

Old 11-07-2007, 07:33 PM

524 posts, read 2,521,758 times
We have been in Seattle for over a year now and we have Direct TV's nfl package. We would die without getting to see our Steelers every week so it is worth the money for us. We are also Seahawk fans now and have gone to a few games since we have been out here so Sunday's are crazy with watching 2 teams!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 AM

I have heard there may be bars that would show the Jets games. I think there is even a transplanted Jets fans club in WA, which would awesome. I do think I too would adopt the Seahawks as my number 2 team if I do make the move.

How come I never hear of fans wanting an NHL team? I think the NHL would be huge in Seattle.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 AM

633 posts, read 2,446,079 times
i think NHL would be good in Seattle too. Odd that there isn't a team there.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:45 AM

50 posts, read 252,490 times
There's a good amount of support for an NHL team moving to Seattle out there - just doesn't seem to be very vocal within the city itself. I actually wondered this a few weeks ago and would personally love having an NHL team in the area, and the market seems large enough for it. Seattle would likely embrace it much more than areas like Nashville, Carolina, and Florida among others.

A few threads I found discussing the topic are below - seems part of our problem may be the lack of a venue that meets NHL requirements for seating capacity. With the Supersonics on the way out (partially due to our lack of support for approving a new venue), this doesn't entirely seem like something that will be fixed soon. The Sonics owner actually did a study earlier this year (link below) to test the feasibility of bringing an NHL team here, prior to deciding to steal the team away from us entirely.

Vancouver Forum - Why no NHL in Seattle?

Arena deal may lure NHL to Seattle

NWSportsTalk.com - NHL in Seattle?

Old 11-08-2007, 11:50 AM

I really think if the NHL gives Seattle a franchise, the fans will support it, especially if they lose the Sonics.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:07 AM

14 posts, read 36,303 times
You go to meetup.com and find other people who share your interests and can open you up to new ideas about how to best enjoy the teams you love! Greetings~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>