Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:38 AM

240 posts, read 464,445 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone. I'll be visiting Seattle with my girlfriend next Sunday-Wednesday for the first time. We're both extremely pumped and looking forward to seeing everything your city has to offer.

We'll be staying at Paramount Hotel (8th and Pine) and I was hoping to walk up to Capitol Hill one night for food and/or bevs. I wanted to ask:

-Is this going to be a safe walk? Is there anything I should be concerned about?
-Would prefer to walk (and weather-permitting willing to walk up to about a mile and 1/2), but should we take a taxi or the bus instead?
-My beloved Blackhawks will be playing in the Stanley Cup while there. Can anyone recommend a great place in Capitol Hill and/or downtown where we'd be able to catch the game with audio and terrific craft beer?

Much obliged to any and all suggestions. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 10:03 AM

102,176 posts, read 107,718,448 times
Absolutely a safe walk. You can consider taking the bus back down the hill late at night, but there's always the question of whether it's better to just make the walk rather than stand at a bus stop for 10 or 15 minutes. You can probably check the bus schedule online so you can time your return downtown.

What are your plans for the rest of the week? As you probably know, the public market is downtown, definitely worth a visit, and there are interesting restaurants in and around the market. A visit to the University of Washington's waterfront activities center to rent a canoe and paddle around the lake and the marshes there might be fun, if time allows.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,880,118 times
I'm currently in Seattle with my girl for our first visit! It's unbelievably clean and SAFE compared to where we're from in California. The people who complain about safety or homeless... Not even a problem here compared to Cali. It's very safe here.

What people say about traffic... It's true, traffic is a nightmare. But the city is amazing!

Old 06-09-2013, 05:57 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,780,340 times
I live in that area and make that walk frequently - it's fine.

I highly recommend the Stumbing Monk for craft beers, but it's not really known as a place to watch sports..

the Summit Public House is known for a decent beer selection and sports watching, but I'm also not sure if hockey would be showing there.

Have fun!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,315,815 times
I would recommend the edge grill near your hotel but it just shut down recently so here a couple of sports bar near the space needle (maybe take a trip to see the needle and then see the game b4 or after your viewing of the space needle)-
Sport Restaurant & Bar - Home
Spitfire Seattle's Gathering Place | Sports, Politics, UFC, Game and Trivia Nights, Competitive Events, Reality TV, and Private Events.Spitfire Seattle's Gathering Place | Sports, Politics, UFC, Game and Trivia Nights, Competitive Events, R
or i would recoomend going to kerry park and seeing the game afterwards and visit
Welcome to Hilltop Ale House or 1 of the other bars nearby-
Kerry Park (Seattle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
take the 2 or 13 bus from 3rd and cedar and get off highland drive to go to kerry park.
Seattle travel guide - Wikitravel
Enjoy your vacation in Washington state-

Old 06-09-2013, 08:40 PM

240 posts, read 464,445 times
Great suggestions everybody, and THANK YOU. We can't wait to come out to Seattle. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let us know.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:52 PM

507 posts, read 1,668,095 times
I live in CH and while it's a great place to be there is a distinct shortage of sports bars. I watch a lot of NBA games and mostly go to 95 Slide on Pike which, as far as I know, is the only real sports bar in CH. They've got lots of big-screen TVs and will put your game on one of them if it's not on there already. I don't know much about hockey but when I've been there recently hockey was always one on some of the screens. The other plus is that it's not usually too crowded and you can easily get at able or a spot in the bar area...but depending on what you want that might be a can

Old 06-09-2013, 10:07 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,583,092 times
Sculpture Park and Myrtle Edwards Park is worth a walk, especially if it's a nice sunny afternoon or evening. Kind of romantic.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:43 AM

61 posts, read 104,169 times
Bus #10 goes up 8th and Pine...You should be safe...

Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 PM

136 posts, read 244,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
Great suggestions everybody, and THANK YOU. We can't wait to come out to Seattle. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let us know.
If you are going to be in Seattle at the end of June. June 22nd is the Solstice parade in Fremont. Well worth going. That is one of the events I miss most about living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area