U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 14,360 times

Advertisements

Hi I just accepted a job in downtown Seattle. I have a young family that will require 3 bedrooms (prefer to rent either a house or duplex). From what I can see the affordable areas look to be Kent, Puyallup, Everett. I would like to keep my commute to an hour or less which would require me to rely on the train from either Puyallup and Everett. It looks like Kent has the easiest and shortest commute and is the most affordable. Can anyone tell me if Kent is safe?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 12:25 PM

7,726 posts, read 14,202,114 times
The desirable areas of Kent are the eastern portions (like East Hill, Meridian, Kentridge), schools are a bit better and the area is generally safe.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:28 PM

4,797 posts, read 11,214,753 times
There are some OK areas but Kent does have a pretty high crime rate with a violent crime rate quite a bit above the national average. If I had a choice, I'd pick somewhere else.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ashington.html

Old 06-23-2013, 12:40 PM

9,638 posts, read 24,975,829 times
Kent isn't dangerous at all compared to Camden, Gary Indiana, North Philly, parts of Baltimore, etc.
There are parts of Kent that are kind of run down. It's a city of over 100,000, is physically large, and has good and not so good neighborhoods. Public schools in Kent in general are thought of as mediocre, but has a few schools that are very good.
If the kids are very young, you're going to be renting, and just need a less expensive place to live for a year or two , Kent would be okay.
But you don't need to limit the search to the Sounder train line. Metro and Sound Transit run an extensive bus service, that travel to a lot of less expensive places less than an hour from downtown Seattle.
Auburn, on the Sounder train line, is generally less expensive than Kent.
Renton has frequent and fairly fast bus service to DT Seattle. Renton's also large and varied, and some of it is in the better Issaquah school district, and Kent's best schools have Renton addressses.
North of Seattle, there's good bus service to Mountlake Terrace and Lynnwood, and you might find something less expensive to rent in Shoreline or Lake Forest Park.
But back to your original question? A fair amount of Kent is nice enough. The East Hill of Kent is particularly ethnically diverse. I don't know whether I'd want to live there, but it's a fun place to visit. Strip malls have Mexican butchers, Ukrainian bakeries, Indian restaurants, etc.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:47 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,903,062 times
As long as you aren't living in the valley areas or in an apartment complex then the area is perfectly safe.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:05 AM

3,534 posts, read 4,750,602 times
Kent is not too dangerous.. It's a bit grimey and seedy and you have some deranged people in the downtown who like to talk to themselves. I find the area to be interesting and has a lot of interesting ethnic stores. However, I would definitely not call it a nice area. It seems a bit seedier than most of Tacoma (except the Eastside of Tacoma), but still not so bad. I wouldn't go walking around the downtown at night drunk off your butt, not knowing where you are going.

Kent cannot be compared to Gary , Camden, or Philly.. It's even safer than most larger cities/towns in California.

On another note, there is probably a lot of property crime and theft in Kent. Be aware of that.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:36 AM

164 posts, read 394,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Kent isn't dangerous at all compared to Camden, Gary Indiana, North Philly, parts of Baltimore, etc.
I normally agree with you 100%, but you might as well have said "Kent isn't dangerous at all compared to a post apocalyptic urban nightmare." You're invoking some very scary places. I'm sure there are more reasonable comparisons out there, but I don't know Kent well enough to suggest any.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,062 posts, read 61,944,958 times
It sounds like Ira was making a comparison that would be meaningful to people from the east coast. I could add that it's much safer than Los Angeles, Oakland and many other CA cities that I am familiar with but that would not mean much to the OP. I have spent time in Kent only during the day in the area near the Courthouse, and even there it seems much safer than 3rd & Pine in Seattle.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 AM

9,638 posts, read 24,975,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baba_yaga View Post
I normally agree with you 100%, but you might as well have said "Kent isn't dangerous at all compared to a post apocalyptic urban nightmare." You're invoking some very scary places. I'm sure there are more reasonable comparisons out there, but I don't know Kent well enough to suggest any.
I'm sure there are more reasonable comparisons out there too, but I couldn't think of any either. What I meant to say is " Kent has a local reputation of being unsafe that it mostly doesn't deserve. There are a few parts of town that are kind of scuzzy, poorer, run down, and probably more dangerous, which gives the entire city that reputation, but most of the town is respectable middle class. Places like Camden and Gary Indiana might not have any good parts. Kent has lots of nice parts."

Old 06-24-2013, 04:27 PM

164 posts, read 394,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It sounds like Ira was making a comparison that would be meaningful to people from the east coast. I could add that it's much safer than Los Angeles, Oakland and many other CA cities that I am familiar with but that would not mean much to the OP. I have spent time in Kent only during the day in the area near the Courthouse, and even there it seems much safer than 3rd & Pine in Seattle.
I'm from Philly, which is why I thought it was funny. I guess what I meant to say is that there's no area in or near Seattle that compares to the blight of some of the places he mentioned. I've been all over here and never felt unsafe walking in any neighborhood, including areas south of the city. Seattle has very little of the grit that big cities have.

I just spent a week in San Francisco. In the 90s, I wanted to move there from Philly because it was much cleaner and nicer. This visit it was unpleasant to spend time anywhere around Market St. This made me realize that Seattle for me is more small-town, green, safe feeling, and neighborly, and that's what I really craved. I just fear the day that Seattle gets so dense that traffic isn't the worst of it's problems. Right now, coming from highly urban areas, Seattle is a paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area