Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:52 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times

Advertisements

Many of those 60% moved here for jobs...or a spouse's job. Most of them tech jobs. Tech jobs at companies known for working their people to the bone. When you spend so much of your time working, it gets pretty exhausting. I think people don't go out and socialize as much in Seattle because they spend too damn much time working and recovering from working. I've heard the same complaints about Silicon Valley from my friends that live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:45 AM

164 posts, read 430,196 times
I'm really tired of this freeze myth being continually perpetuated.

My husband and are introverts. We moved here 5 years ago, knowing no one. We've met lots of great people here and have a good social life. If we can do it, anyone can.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
It started with the independent 'spirits' coming by covered wagon and ship. Was 'perfected' during Gold Rush era and the 'apprehension' with the newcomers / strangers... I'ts Not gonna change with more TRANSPLANTS !!

It's the local VIBE!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
In my experience, places with too many transplants, and too many natives tend to be more frozen.

I like a balance.

Seattle doesn't even get cold enough to FREEZE.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:51 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,383 times
It's a self-perpetuating myth - people hear about it and then everything that happens that supports it is a reinforcement of the myth, while everything that happens against it is forgotten. They exist in all cultures.

At least the myth about suicides in Seattle could be disproved by facts, nothing you can do about myths based solely on anecdotes.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:28 PM

249 posts, read 443,408 times
Total myth huh? Interesting to hear that bold assertion given the high number of people who visit or move and say unanimously that the people are just unfriendly and cold towards them.

Maybe the cliche of the phrase has caught on so well that just possibly, a bit of mass hysteria is at work here.

The pictures I always happen to see of Seattlites shows them smiling and happy, and they look like genuine, down-to-earth, welcoming people..

..." Why do the pictures lie Mommy? "

Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
given the high number of people who visit or move and say unanimously that the people are just unfriendly and cold towards them.

Where's the unanimity? I'm not going to say whether the Freeze is real or not because I don't know. But there are plenty of people who visit and move to Seattle, are happy here, and make friends. And there are also people who don't like it here, and feel unwelcomed. I've lived here for 35 years+. I've never experienced the Freeze. Since enough people feel it, I acknowledge that it exists, to a lesser or greater degree. But people don't say anything unanimously . Also, I think it's the nature of people that they prefer to gripe online rather than say nice things. So I think there is a " Silent Majority" of happy people in Seattle who don't go online to announce how happy they are, especially given that Seattleites are supposed to be low key.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:23 PM

249 posts, read 443,408 times
Heh...I knew someone was going to jump me for the forward-manner in which I used the word. Rawwwrrr.

What I should have said was, the very diverse and large group that all reach a similar conclusion upon their arrival.

This group does not of course include "everyone".

Just stirring the pot a bit to get some good discussion going. A normal duty for any good thread starter.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 PM

164 posts, read 430,196 times
Is it? I thought that was called trolling. Anyway, there are a number of similar threads. It just gets tiresome after a while.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 PM

180 posts, read 321,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
Total myth huh? Interesting to hear that bold assertion given the high number of people who visit or move and say unanimously that the people are just unfriendly and cold towards them.

Maybe the cliche of the phrase has caught on so well that just possibly, a bit of mass hysteria is at work here.

The pictures I always happen to see of Seattlites shows them smiling and happy, and they look like genuine, down-to-earth, welcoming people..

..." Why do the pictures lie Mommy? "
Total BS. We moved here 3 weeks ago and EVERY TIME we go out we meet nice people and strike up conversations with at least 3 people. Not to mention my 5 year old girl always makes a new friend whenever we go to a park to play. We are pretty introverted but are finding it very pleasant here. We never had this much luck even in Texas where everyone is supposed to be super friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area