Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 AM

151 posts, read 525,571 times

Advertisements

Hi all --

I'm trying to figure out some eco-friendly transportation options -- aside from Mass Transit -- in Seattle. Anyone else here own a scooter in Seattle? Like a Vespa or something? They get incredible gas mileage and with gas prices in Seattle the highest in the nation, the thought is appealing.

If you own a scooter, what kind is it? Any reccomendations for brands and dealerships? What did you pay? How strong is it getting up hills? How did you handle driving in the rain? Any thoughts for a potential scooter owner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
When thinking about eco-friendly, consider tailpipe emissions. Sometimes small engines don't have catalytic converters or other emission control systems, and actually pollute far more than the full size vehicles that come with all of the emission control systems.

Motorcycles are a good example, they actually pollute far more than cars despite getting better gas mileage. The only reason they are allowed to ride in the HOV lane is for safety.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:47 AM

151 posts, read 525,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
When thinking about eco-friendly, consider tailpipe emissions. Sometimes small engines don't have catalytic converters or other emission control systems, and actually pollute far more than the full size vehicles that come with all of the emission control systems.

Motorcycles are a good example, they actually pollute far more than cars despite getting better gas mileage. The only reason they are allowed to ride in the HOV lane is for safety.
Buzzkill.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:02 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
Buzzkill.
All I'm saying is I read day in and day out how everyone in Seattle wants to save the planet, but don't see anyone who is actually making serious changes to do so. Instead, the write in to the paper and talk about being green or ecofriendly or talk about reducing their carbon footprint but no one is actually doing anything about it.

Riding a scooter to save the environment is one example. It may be less expensive - and so it's may be well worth doing - but a person shouldn't assume that it will save the planet unless they've done enough research to determine that is actually is better than other transportation. It may well be, I haven't done any research.

I'm just saying that the people of Seattle are awfully quick to criticize someone else's actions and very slow to change their own ways.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:21 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,325 times
Setting aside environmental concerns, it's not a slam dunk that you'll break even economically.

Is a scooter the answer? - MSN Money

There was a story recently in one of the local newspapers about how Seattle-area scooter dealers are running low on inventory, due to high demand.

I must admit to being intrigued by the idea.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:26 PM

24 posts, read 126,716 times
Newer bikes usually have catalytic converters. For the older ones its tough to say which is more eco-friendly since CO2 is now considered a greenhouse gas. I haven't seen any new studies on the issue. If eco is your concern you have options.

If you are going 2 wheels I personally would recommend just getting a small motorcycle. They are more functional since you can take them on the freeway. They are generally safer since they have more rubber on the road, larger brakes, better handling, and some horsepower to get out of a situation. You could go with a big scooter and mitigate some of those issues but then I don't see the point. You still have to take a riding class (on a regular bike) to drive one. Just some food for thought anyway. Either way I would not recommend buying your first bike new...you are going to lay it down at some point. Rain, leaves, sand, cobblestone, etc...this area is probably no worse than most but riding a bike on any street is challenging.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:57 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,266,274 times
Here's a link to a review of power-assisted bicycle.

"The Twist Freedom DX doesn't perform in any out-of-the-ordinary manner until you hit an incline. But the second you do, the motor adds power to your wheels, and your feet suddenly feel like they're, well, flying. The process is very seamless, and actually quite fun."

"new Giant Twist Freedom DX bicycle, an electric bike that uses a cyborglike mix of muscle and machine power to propel riders as far as 75 miles on a single charge. At $2000, it's a pricey bike, but Giant is touting this ride as a cost-effective alternative for commuters upset about record gas prices."

Giant Twist Freedom DX Electric Bike Test Drive: A Flying Good Time—Just Don't Call It a Workout (With Video!) - Popular Mechanics

Old 07-23-2008, 02:15 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
All I'm saying is I read day in and day out how everyone in Seattle wants to save the planet, but don't see anyone who is actually making serious changes to do so. Instead, the write in to the paper and talk about being green or ecofriendly or talk about reducing their carbon footprint but no one is actually doing anything about it.

Riding a scooter to save the environment is one example. It may be less expensive - and so it's may be well worth doing - but a person shouldn't assume that it will save the planet unless they've done enough research to determine that is actually is better than other transportation. It may well be, I haven't done any research.

I'm just saying that the people of Seattle are awfully quick to criticize someone else's actions and very slow to change their own ways.

There are a lot of people doing great things to help the environment, in Seattle and beyond. But the fact that people are confused about what types of choices are eco-friendly doesn't mean that they're hypocritical. It just reinforces the need for solid environmental education and critical thinking towards media and advertising.

There's a good book called The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices, which I found to be helpful, if not slightly dated by now.

More on topic, the OP will save on gas money, but his tailpipe emissions might be 10x that of a passenger vehicle.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:38 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,322 times
Quote:

So very true, people in Seattle are very hypocritical.

One minute they saying how they want to be carbon neutral, then the next they are sat watching power boat race on the lake, boats catching fire, leaking oil directly into the water, and then watching the blue angels over head. . . . while telling me not to drive my truck to the store.

This is Seattle.

People think more MPG = cleaner, but thats hardly the case. A new F150 is cleaner to run than a 15 year old banger that gets great mpg.

I think by the term 'eco-friendly', you really mean 'pocket friendly', right?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:45 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I used to have a Honda scooter that looked like a Vespa and loved it..it had enough power to get up hills but was not fun to drive in the rain....There are a couple of scooter dealers that now also sell electric scooters, including Interbay scooters on 15th Avenue west, and another whose name I can't remember in Fremont and another on Dearborn just east of Chinatown/International district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: