Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 05:36 PM

366 posts, read 596,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
While some surely fit that profile, and certainly are noticeable, and might be outspoken, they hardly compose a large, let alone majority, portion of any neighborhood I know of. That more might be on one side of the Lake than on the other is simply a matter of demographics. I just think you're over-generalizing in order to label something worse than it really is.

By the way, "scruffy beards" would exclude half the population (surely, there are "hipster chicks", although the latter word might be less than "hip" these days), unless you substitute "unshaven", to which, quite frankly, I have no objection (razors are a pain), although I have to admit I'm not a big fan of tattoos. Oh, and you forgot piercings. Still, if someone chooses to shave or not shave, do whatever they want with their hair, wear black-rimmed glasses, pierce, or have tattoos, that simply is part of their right of free expression.

Perhaps the uniting characteristic here is simple self-righteousness, which however could equally apply both to people called, and people calling them, "hipsters".

When I was in my 20s, I didn't trust anyone over 30, but now that I'm in my 60s, I'm more prone to not trust anyone under 30, but more from bemusement than scorn. That the young are groupish in seeking to be different is as old as the generations.
Yeah, I was being somewhat facetious in my characterization. All good points. I think a large part of it is just that these are the trends among that set right now, and like you say, groupish trend seeking has always been around. I'm in that young age group still, and I've never felt motivated to follow the trends myself, which has led to feeling out of place at times, but even then Seattle is big enough for me to find people I can get along with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 07:45 PM

415 posts, read 490,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
...Practically everyone that lives there, in one form or another, takes every chance possible to rave about what an AMAZING place it is. It's like they're trying to sell themselves, and one another, on their choice of a living destination. ...
This may be one of the things I find most puzzling and unsatisfying about Seattle-fans - especially the opinionated ones that haunt online fora like City-Data. It really is as if they are trying desperately to convince themselves. I'm a big fan of humility. If I like something I'll try to enjoy it quietly and perhaps share my humble praise. What I sometimes observe is an enthusiasm that is no relation to the objective merits. This "AMAZING" sandwich, cocktail, cupcake or microbrew for example. Indeed, even if it's not everybody's cup of tea, Seattle is an impressive city in a remarkable setting. What is it about some kind of "evangelizing" instinct that inspires so many to go forth and proclaim the honest to goodness good news gospel of how awesome the Emerald City is? Heaven on earth? If we get too pleased, might we not risk ceasing to strive to make it even better?

Indeed I might like it better if the people who find themselves at home here would enjoy it a bit more quietly and humbly.

I enjoy it when these classic threads get resurrected. Please bump more of the oldies and goodies for us newbies.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:59 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Mmm, interesting. So, I feel people do this everywhere they live. It's just that we are not all paying attention to every city, just the ones we live in. How do you know this isn't happening all over? Believe me, people would do this in Houston and I would just slap my hand on my forehead. Really? Houston? Really?!

Personally, I DO find Seattle 'Amazing' in terms of the fact it is nothing like Houston. I love it here. I've also lived in quite a few places stretching from the UK to Hawaii and Seattle is my favourite. I think it just depends on what you love and what's important to you. It does boggle my mind when people WANT to live somewhere like the south or the midwest, etc., but they have their reasons and everyone has their choice. I do feel that when people talk about those places being 'amazing' that they really ARE trying to convince themselves of that fact though ha. Ok I jest. But anyway, even if you hate Seattle, you have to admit it's still a pretty great setting for a city. Personally, I want to live somewhere ridiculously scenic (both mountains and water) with mild year-round temperatures and abundant outdoor activities. Seattle is the closest fit I have found to that in the US.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:55 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Seattle is by far the most rocking, coolest city on earth. Period.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:41 AM

305 posts, read 416,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
Mmm, interesting. So, I feel people do this everywhere they live. It's just that we are not all paying attention to every city, just the ones we live in.
We dont do that here in Georgia, if you hate it here, its completely fine.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:22 PM

231 posts, read 587,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Seattle is by far the most rocking, coolest city on earth. Period.
LMAO!!!!! Good one!!

Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
We dont do that here in Georgia, if you hate it here, its completely fine.
Cool. I just don't get why people waste their time living somewhere they hate lol.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:35 AM

719 posts, read 987,578 times
The place as a whole stirs very mixed feelings in me. I (generally speaking) love the weather, though I miss serious snows. The mountains are great, and the pine trees are lovely... but the people drive me up a friggin' wall.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:15 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Why do the people drive you up a wall, Princess? Where do you live?

Old 01-16-2015, 11:19 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
I like Seattle, there's some things about it I don't like, but the good definitely outweighs the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area