Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,668,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
OK, hon, time to break the ties with Seattle, and to become a Chicagoan!
Exactly. What's funny is you started posting here when you apparently moved to Chicago. (See, you obviously miss Seattle a lot!) And you've used the phrase Stockholm Syndrome multiple times. It probably sounded clever the first time. Your 7 years here must have consumed you in a way Chicago hasn't. If we're so terrible and Chicago is so "normal", it's surprising that you would come here 30+ times complaining about Seattle weather (why???) but not one single post in Chicago where you live. It's like you're stalking an ex-girlfriend so you can tell her how much more you like your new girlfriend you never see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 PM

305 posts, read 449,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Exactly. What's funny is you started posting here when you apparently moved to Chicago. (See, you obviously miss Seattle a lot!) And you've used the phrase Stockholm Syndrome multiple times. It probably sounded clever the first time. Your 7 years here must have consumed you in a way Chicago hasn't. If we're so terrible and Chicago is so "normal", it's surprising that you would come here 30+ times complaining about Seattle weather (why???) but not one single post in Chicago where you live. It's like you're stalking an ex-girlfriend so you can tell her how much more you like your new girlfriend you never see.
Logic at its finest. I hope you're putting that razor sharp mind of yours to work and not posting 10 times a day during normal business hours. Oh wait...

Old 06-27-2013, 09:36 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,641,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It's like you're stalking an ex-girlfriend so you can tell her how much more you like your new girlfriend you never see.
You nailed it.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 PM

305 posts, read 449,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
You nailed it.
I think you two are nailing each other...

Old 06-27-2013, 11:16 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,838,159 times
OP, do you plan on being a permanent presence here or until your need to do a PSA passes?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:50 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,569,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Miami doesn't have a lot of IT jobs. To be fair I love Seattle's corporate culture. Very positive, and I can see myself getting a lot of great business contacts here. But it's simply not that fun. I care about my career a lot, but it would be nice to have a little fun as well.
New York City is what you probably want. Get your wallet ready though. Seattle starts to look like bargain by comparison.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:52 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,569,155 times
Chicago...eh. I've only passed through a time or two to be honest...not a bad place, but certainly not where I'd live if I could live anywhere. Too cold in the winter. They get snow there that will bury your car. Most dangerous big city in the US by far also for whatever reason.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:07 AM

195 posts, read 335,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Chicago...eh. I've only passed through a time or two to be honest...not a bad place, but certainly not where I'd live if I could live anywhere. Too cold in the winter. They get snow there that will bury your car. Most dangerous big city in the US by far also for whatever reason.

Detroit, followed by St. Louisa, KC, and New Orleans have been considered the most dangerous cities for several years running, recently.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 AM

3,976 posts, read 4,999,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I grew up in DeSoto. Most of my high school classmates never left DFW and the majority of them RAVE about Texas. I have a few fb peeps that post pics of their land, labeling it as "God's country" (judging by the temps right now, I think I'd use descriptive words from the other end of the supernatural spectrum). I think they're nuts. All I can remember are the countless summer days spent in my living room because it was too hot to even be in my upstairs bedroom (even with central AC) and those killer summer marching band practices. October was downright lovely though... and having a t-shirts and brisket Thanksgiving was pretty nice. I guess it's not all that bad. The weather just doesn't get to me like humanistic factors such as lack of education.
Yes, most native Texans do rave about Texas...and they say "God's Country" all the time. It's weird the pride they (and often, me) display...I think it is because it's so huge and so many people haven't been elsewhere...everything they need is here. Of course, I've travelled and do come from someplace else so I'm dialed down, if you will. Still, there's a pride here.

To the OP...you say Seattle has some strong defenders when you bash their weather...you've never been to the Texas boards. People go on there and say "man, the summer is soooo hot"...the response you usually get is "no ish!!!" I'm sure I've read some strong messages to move back home if you don't like it. Don't you see? It's everywhere...at some point, you're going to have to realize that the city itself and the weather that comes with it, is completely out of anyone's control. So when you complain about it, what do you want anyone to do? They live there and can often commiserate, but the negativity can be overwhelming to many and they simply don't like it.

And that's why people get defensive...you're stating the obvious (Seattle isn't for you while it may be for others) and you're not going anywhere with your statements. I agree that you should let go of the negativity and embrace your new home. I'm happy you found a place you like so well.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:00 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,572,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
New York City is what you probably want. Get your wallet ready though. Seattle starts to look like bargain by comparison.

I've worked in NYC before and I love the city. Definitely my destination if I were rich. I didn't too much care for the corporate culture there. It's everything that's bad about Atlanta amplified. People are a bunch of back stabbers up in NYC. Not the city I ever want to work in again. Still love the city though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area