Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 01:29 PM

143 posts, read 334,204 times

Advertisements

I guess this would be a nice sequence to the "How Are African Americans Received in Seattle" Thread, but let's extend it to all minorities (even asians who are kinda minorities in the U.S. but definitely a heavy presence in Seattle).

For me, I'm black. A professional, doctorate degree and work in health care. I work far south, but live in Seattle so I haven't spent time in the city as much as I'd like but when I do, *sigh*, it is a struggle. Yesterday I had the day off, I went up to University ave dressed just normal, shorts, and a t-shirt, I walked passed the Jack and the Box (which coincidently enough 6 hours later had a stabbing murder right there), and these black guys all asked me if I wanted to buy drugs or if I had any to sell... Very offensive to me, coming from the south where in my hometown theres a poor perception of black people, and again I have a doctorate degree. I'm a big football playing looking guy to (because I played football in college) and so I made an ******* comment to them and they all got the message. This occurs EVERY time Im on the ave, but its usually white people asking if I have drugs.

Last night I wanted to finally find a very diverse spot, so I went to fremont to start off.. no diversity, so I went to the white rabbit, and asked the nice door guy there here do minorities/diverse groups hang out and he told me about the glory days in the late 90's and early 2000's when it use to be great to be black or minority here. Then he said they pushed most of the minorities out of the city, and that professional minorities tend to blend into the other groups so theres no presence. Not a surprise. THats what I keep hearing. I stayed relentless, spoke to another black door guy at the backdoor, he told me to go to 13th And Jefferson and there was a nice spot there that had lots of minorities who liked to dance there... so I took my happy ass back in the car, drove there, and the place was empty! But I at least talked to the african guys who ran the place there and we had great conversation, they wrote the address down and told me to come back anytime (which I certainly will) they mentioned to go to lo-five to see if that place was okay tonight.. I got my happy ass back in the car AGAIN and went there... Nope. Not a single perso of color (not even asian!). I work well with door people and they usually always let me go inside to check out the place before paying any covers so it works. I stayed relentless again, I remember there was a place in the U-District past 55th, and drove there, well no luck I couldn't find it, but I did see Pam's Kitchen had an event going on (apparently, every last Saturday of the month they throw a nice party and lots of reggae/african music and lots of people of color (indian, asian, hispanic, blacks, even white ppl). I had a great time there BY MYSELF and actually went and talked to (in my opinion) the most beautiful girl in the entire place, and got her phone #. So yea, all that to see some people of color, but it was so worth it. I guess you can say theyare around, but you have to work very hard to find them. She was a very very attractive black woman who was a former UW track star and Seattlelite, she said you have to go to Bellvue to find most people of color that are professional. Fair enough.

But on a typical day, it's difficult being black (especially when people ask you for drugs just because you're black), I've heard about it several times but to experience it yourself, it's a bit frustrating. Maybe even if you're not black. I'm in Eastlake at a coffee shop right now, a very nice one and Ive been here for an hour, (I come here often) I've never seen anyone strike up a conversation with anyone else... I feel like I'm at a library and if I talked someone would say "Shhhhh!!!" Lmao But I don't know. Growing pains. I'm interested to see how other people feel being minorities here of other races, and black people in general. What strategies have worked for you? Which haven't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 01:42 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times
I can picture your day and it's pretty sad. The people I work with are very diverse and everyone just blends but that's primarily on the Eastside. Have you tried places in Bellevue or Kirkland maybe?

Old 06-30-2013, 01:45 PM

143 posts, read 334,204 times
No, I haven't been there.. I work really far south. Bonney Lake, obviously there's no black people or people of color there. I work with all white people as well.. I don't know I expected that much though, that doesn't bother me. Just the part of your life you're "supposed" to have control of being your social life.. kind of difficult. But then again, if I do see a person of color in the street and I say hello, I'm 80% of the time ignored anyways so lol.. Can't expect too much seems like.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:08 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
You were looking for diversity... and started at Fremont? Why would you do that? Everyone knows those popular North Seattle neighborhoods aren't racially diverse and haven't been for quite awhile now.

I would suggest you look for Vandygirl's posts because she mentions going to some Professional Black events (and IIRC, she did also mention it was a small network)... Maybe even PM her, but it's been a long time since she's posted here.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:21 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
You were looking for diversity... and started at Fremont? Why would you do that? Everyone knows those popular North Seattle neighborhoods aren't racially diverse and haven't been for quite awhile now.

I would suggest you look for Vandygirl's posts because she mentions going to some Professional Black events (and IIRC, she did also mention it was a small network)... Maybe even PM her, but it's been a long time since she's posted here.
That's a great suggestion Inkpoe. Hopefully she still posts from time to time. Her posts implied you would be a great person for her to meet because she's professional as well. Wishing you the best.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:19 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,244 times
Jack and Jill has a Seattle chapter: Far West Region

The Links also have a Seattle chapter: http://greaterseattlelinksinc.org/

Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,037 times
One suggestion:

Royal Esquire Club Inc.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:30 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
OP, there used to be an African shop on Lake City Way between 115th and 125th. They would organize Congolese parties that were open to the public for a ticket price. (They'd fly in GOOD groups from back home!) You might cruise by and see if it's still there (west side of the street), and if they're there, they could probably fill you in on relevant night-life and goings-on. There's a jazz club downtown that occasionally gets an African musician or group. But that's Seattle for you: slim pickings for "diversity" entertainment.

Ugh. Univ. Way must have really deteriorated since I've moved away.It didn't used to be like that.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:13 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
Yeah I basically avoid the U district like the plague now. Nothing but cheap eats ranging from awesome to "I'd rather eat off a public toilet seat", poor college kids, bums and pimps and their hoes, the Ave Rats, and generally disgusting things going on.

But ... all I guess I can say is I'm sorry you had to go through that man. I'm not black but I've got black friends and they share with me the things they endure back in Chicago. Nothing like ingrained stereotypes! They all have been approached for drugs (buying or selling) before, they've all been hated on by random people for "stealing white chicks" (even though one of them is a gay man), and people actively avoid them if they can help it without losing whatever modicum of social progressivism they had to begin with. At least here people don't cross the street to avoid a black crowd (though in Chicago the latest issues with flash mob robberies by black youths does give some credence to this) nor will most people give a sh*t if you do bang a white chick.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,873 times
Default Wow

So I'm a new resident here I am looking but dnt know where to start I'm a Registered nurse so I have a great career but socially have left all of my outgoing fun friends so did u ever find the professional black people in particular
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area