Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 04:40 PM

149 posts, read 276,773 times

Advertisements

Hi All - when I'm looking at features and amenities listed on apartments, and they say things like "covered parking" or "ample parking" - is that included in the price of the rent usually, or is it an additional fee?

For background context, the last month I've been researching Seattle and Portland for my next move. While drawn to Seattle, I was getting pressure from friends and family to check out Portland because it's "cheaper". Once I started really researching though, it didn't turn out to be cheaper with the ungodly parking per month fees, if parking was even available.

So I'm back to being committed to make Seattle my next move, and just trying to understand if there are additional fees for parking on top of rent amounts.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 04:48 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Depends on where the place is. Usually if its out of the trendy urban areas, then parking generally is included. But it's always best to call and ask if you don't understand.

My brother used to live in an apartment in Belltown, not too far from the Space Needle. He ended up forgoing the garage and parking on the street (which was a pain a lot of times) because he would have to pay an additional $275/mo. I think his car only got jacked once in the few years he did lived there.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:11 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Depends. In the city of Seattle, it's usually not included unless the building is in a low density area. Anywhere parking is scarce you'll pay for it. Prices vary depending on whether it's uncovered, covered or garage.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:15 PM

thanks all. Would be helpful if they'd include it on their sites though - lol. Do they generally enough parking for their residents, or are there waiting lists?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
A lot of Seattle apartment dwellers either have no car or use one of the new Car2Go Smartcars, Zip Car, or the odd ride service with the pink mustache on the front of the cars, so if you are willing to pay there is usually space.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:10 PM

Thanks. I called a couple complexes and they said $125 per month, but parking was available and assigned. Just need to remember that additional cost while looking.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:22 PM

644 posts, read 1,187,311 times
This really depends on the neighborhood. My building charges $125/month for parking, but I'm not sure why anyone pays that. It's pretty much always possible to park within a half mile of the building.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:19 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,971,906 times
As others have pointed out, it depends on the situation for the individual building. It might be included for free (less likely in more densely-populated areas) or there might be a fee. (which can vary widely) Also, some building have limited spots so there can be a waiting list. Again, depends on your area and building.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:07 PM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
This really depends on the neighborhood. My building charges $125/month for parking, but I'm not sure why anyone pays that. It's pretty much always possible to park within a half mile of the building.
Really? I mean, that's a hefty fee for parking but what if you have groceries? What if you have more than one item to carry from your car? Walking a half mile (or less) would not only be inconvenient, but would probably be a huge pain to go back and forth to collect all your items. I know I live in the land of free parking because we have parking lots bigger than your entire city (it seems), but what do people do when they have say, a ton of groceries to bring home?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:21 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,971,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
...but what do people do when they have say, a ton of groceries to bring home?
Park illegally with your blinkers on and haul everything inside at breakneck speed, then go park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area