Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 12:17 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamriversong View Post
Thanks, baba_yoga - I guess I am looking for a smaller town. I have friends in Port Townsend and they love it and I've always loved it as well. I just don't know how to find a job in a small town where I'm not located. And I agree, almost would have to live wherever I can find work. I was hoping for a place with the feel of "old Seattle" but I don't know where that is. Right now, life seems to be about readjusting my expectations. I'll keep on searching.
Tacoma probably will give you the feel of "old Seattle". At least it's changing very slowly and a lot of people are put off by the old reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,035 times
I moved to a hippie culture in Woodinville, WA, which had a strip club and other amusements years ago. Over the course of 40 or so years, the town was turned into a "family town", strip club gone, and I am still here because of the gorgeous property we bought. The $29,500 3 acre place is now worth $1,500,000 or more, but the city has lost its character. One reason is that the City Council is so fascist, it has innumerable reasons why we can't sell our place. People from the outside came here and redirected our "goals". That would mean more and more college students graduate with "city planning degrees" and our city was stupid enough to hire them. They make up so many rules that you can't even sell your property without some enormous fee tacked on by the city. In our case, it was a $400,000 fee to widen our road which is quite wide to begin with. I know it is hard for a first-time buyer to know all the rules that will eventually be pinned on to their property.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:47 PM

323 posts, read 448,669 times
Back in the 60s and 70s Woodinville did host a lot of hippies that attended the big-name concerts at Gold Creek Park, including the three day Seattle Pop Festival in '69, two weeks before Woodstock, with the Doors, Led Zeppelin, The Byrds, Santana, Guess Who, etc. Music most every weekend. I made it there once. Ste Michelle patrons? What a difference.

In the nineteenth century Washington was seen as a good place to go to establish cooperative communities. Communal hippie-like pioneers, called utopians, came from far and wide and established several of these associations or "colonies". They had community property, free love, nudity, and included anarchists, communists, food faddists, free thinkers, nudists and others who did not fit in with mainstream society. The first colony, founded in 1887 at Ennis Creek, pretty much put Port Angeles on the map.

The Home Colony, near Lakebay, was started in 1896 on 26 acres of waterfront property purchased for $182 by members of a failed "industrial cooperative" colony near Eatonville. Home expanded to over 200 residents and lasted twenty years, longer than most colonies. Another was at present-day Burley.

After the 70s, I don't think hippies have had much of a presence in Washington. I know people that live off-the-grid and barter near Colville, where there are several others doing that.

I know a few young hippies live in Whatcom County. You'll see several playing and dancing at the annual Subdued Stringband Jamboree near Deming.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007jamesbond View Post
Vashon Island for sure.
Yes, home of the pot growers alliance is about the last hippie place in the state. Port Townsend used to be that way but though still an artsy area, it has become more hipster than hippie. There are still many pockets of hippiedom but they are in fairly secluded rural areas, mixed oddly enough with redneck and survivalist types (such as outside of Deming).

Old 06-09-2016, 09:51 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Vashon can still feel that way, though rising prices are forcing some out. I lived there 1997-2000 and still have good friends there. It is a wonderful, amusing place. You have trust fund kids who are now organic farmers, people literally living in teepees and treehouses.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:53 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Definitely the Eastside of Seattle, is the hippie center of coolness!!!! Hold on, sorry I mean the epicenter coldness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area