Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM

6 posts, read 16,426 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a recent college grad (May 2012) and I studied in Worcester, MA, an hour away from Boston (although I usually frequent Boston and NYC since I am a hardcore urbanite). Since January, I have been doing an internship at a start-up in Cambridge, but I just got an offer from a company that has two offices: Fitchburg, MA (meh) and Seattle.

Initially, it looked like I would have to work in Fitchburg and that was a big deal-breaker for me, as I could not live in a city (Boston) and commute there since its too far away. However, the company has recently told me that a relocation to Seattle could be possible, so if this works out, it would be the obvious choice to take (the other one being to stay at the internship).

I have a couple of questions about potentially moving to Seattle. I am in 23 years old international student, single and looking to have a great experience in a new city.

- After extensive Google searches, it seems that Seattle is kind of comparable to Boston in terms of size, amenities, nightlife. My ideal city in the US is NYC, I would live there in a heartbeat if I could but I did not study the ideal major. However, Boston is still fun, and if Seattle is like this, then I do not anticipate any issues. Do people think that Boston and Seattle are in the same "category" (if you will)?

- My job would be located somewhere between Maple Leaf district (according to Google maps, correct me if this district doesn't exist jaja) and the University District. I would love to live somewhere close-ish to downtown, but probably not a downtown high-rise (too much $$$). If there are any Boston-to-Seattle transplants, I would not mind living in an area similar and as close to downtown as Fenway, Brookline, Cambridge (Porter Square, Kendall), and I am looking to pay around $800. Is this a doable prospect? And if so, what districts would you recommend me to check out? Also, districts with a vibrant culture, nearby nightlife and a young crowd are a huge plus. Doing a quick Google search I found Eastlake, Westlake and Capitol Hill as recurring names of districts within the city, not too far away from downtown, and that would seem to have a relatively short travel to work.

- Also, I would like to avoid a car if possible. I have read mix reviews about Seattle and biking (the hills, needing a car for shopping, etc.). How feasible is it to live in Seattle and only own a bicycle? Would the rain pose a major issue for biking?

- I've read about this Seattle Freeze shenanigans, but it seems a little bit of an exaggeration. If the Seattle project is a green light, then I will very probably move there and ignore this Freeze business, but if you have an opinion on this, I would be interested in hearing it.

Thanks for all the help and I will value any opinion/input. I also appreciate any other advice you guys might have about living in Seattle in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 AM

492 posts, read 1,041,785 times
Yes, ignore the Freeze business and you'll be fine. You can bike in the rain, which is usually drizzle. It's possible but not feasible to only own a bicycle, mainly because we don't have a comprehensive subway/train system here. Many buses have bike racks. Our downtown is primarily for business hours. Of the 3 places you mentioned, Capitol Hill is the most vibrant. You'd be close enough to the other vibrant places. A decent place for $800 will be tough to find, check craigslist and consider a roommate. On my short trip to Boston it seemed that there is much more nightlife and young atmosphere than here, which makes sense given all the colleges there. It doesn't get as cold here as Boston but it can be overcast most days for seven months or more. Our summers are great though.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
Well, this girl loves Boston, and in part probably because it reminds me a little of Seattle. Both have a young, progressive, educated workforce, the cities are about the same size, have similar cultural opportunities, and all that stuff you mentioned. Boston, of course, is a much older city, which is one of the things I love the most about it - all of the old mixed right in with the new. Seattle doesn't have that same history, but has one of its own. Substitute the indians for the colonists. Anyway, many on C-D have remarked that Seattle, Boston and San Francisco are like the Three Amigos.

Capitol Hill is a very trendy place to be right now, but it's not for everyone. If you like things a little grittier, as you say, I would suggest maybe Ballard (still trendy, but not as much as CH), Fremont or lower Queen Anne. As PP said, $800/month is going to be tough here except for a very basic studio. You'd have better luck if you could find a roommate.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:27 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
Yeah, I've often said that if Boston and San Francisco got married and had a child, it would be Seattle. It seems to have elements of both parents in it.

Now let me go on a tangent..... Any chance you can get on permanently with the startup you are an intern at and get stock options? I speak from personal experience that it can be rewarding. Very rewarding. Sorry for going on a tangent.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:18 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times
for a young person you are going to probably like seattle a lot better-like i heard someone say here "the seattle freeze is real but not insurmountable")-you can make friends you just have to work harder than in some other cities-and if u want to meet other new englanders u can goto the spitfire grill in downtown seattle -A NE Patriots/Red Sox bar-that place was packed with New Englanders when the seahawks and pats played last year
Spitfire Seattle's Gathering Place | Sports, Politics, UFC, Game and Trivia Nights, Competitive Events, Reality TV, and Private Events.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:23 AM

Hi guys, thanks for all the responses. This confirms my research that Boston and Seattle do have semblances, and Seattle sounds like a really cool place. Jalhop, when speaking of a "great" summers (maybe in comparison to Boston), does it mean its hotter or milder?

On the Car vs. Bicicyle issue, if I do end up going to Seattle, I think I will take my chances with a bike and take it from there. I figure if I live in a vibrant and happening place, there will be tons of buses (and cabs if necessary) driving close to my house.

I will definitely check out all of the locations you guys have mentioned. Also, I'm all for having a roomate (or several, if reasonable), so would $800 be doable in a 1 or 2 roomates situation at, say, Capitol Hill? Also, BellevueNative, could you elaborate a little bit on why Capitol Hill might not be for everyone? Just a bit curious, I'm sure your insight will be very helpful!

Finally, I did try getting a full-time position at my interning company. However, they are at an early stage of their venture (95% of their products are in prototype phase, hence lots of money on R&D) so they couldn't afford to get me on. I was specifically brought in to helm and drive the Latin American efforts of the company, but since LatAm is moving much slower than expected, they can't hire me at this time. However if I do take the Seattle job, my current internship expressed interest in me still helping them out and being involved, maybe a couple of hours each week over phone and email. This will bring me a bit of extra money, but mostly I'll stay in touch with the company and be there if they have a breakthrough. Then, CarawayDJ, we can talk full-time, and some stock options of course!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 AM

Hey phoenixmike, thanks for the input. Good to hear the Freeze can be defeated! And I'll definitely check out Spitfire Grill. I'm an international student, so not very big on baseball, but I'm definitely down to root for the Pats.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Good for you starting research prior to asking targeted questions.

There is a larger international component to three of the major tech companies (that I know of) in greater Seattle. Hopefully you can find ex-pats of your liking without too much trouble. If you care (I would, probably, in a similar situation).

Had a chance to move to Manhattan myself, in 2008. Pre-crisis bottom, which occurred c. later 2008 into early 2009. Wonder how that would have panned out (Morgan-Stanley, in my case). The road not taken.

$800 is skinny rent for anywhere non-ghetto downtown. This from recent posters to the forum. Read up on that, please: I "think" the floor starts at about $1,000 for nice places in Seattle-proper. Hope you prove that wrong.

The areas you mention are nice, and do-able in terms of commute. I know Boston, half the family is from there and I've spent time working and leisure in the general area.

One can get away with not having a car in Seattle. Look into commute rating websites for more. I live Eastside and don't commute via mass transit too often except for leisure.

The rain doesn't slow bikers down, if properly prepared. You'd better be. There are no-doubt extensive online resources about that. Same goes for motorcycling: it is "do-able," but you'd better be ready for the challenges and dangers. The rare ice and below-freezing will put a halt to that, though it sure isn't Boston-like. Does happen, though. There are hills. Don't be on one when icy. In fact, be on-foot. Or working from home.

The Seattle "Freeze" is what you make of it. As an introvert techie, I fit in great. Your disposition will be a huge part of whether (real, imagined) social-chilliness increases your stress level.

"In general," Seattle is far from the East Coast in ways other than geographic distance. Seattle is kicked-back and far more provincial (much like Maine) than NYC, Philly, Boston, Baltimore, and other major-metro older Eastern cities. From my perspective, that is to say.

The next major metro areas here are Portland, OR and Vancouver, BC. The latter is another country and takes a little work to get to. Big subject. Portland, meh: another big subject. Nice place, different from Seattle and just far enough away (180 miles) to be a bit painful ("the Slog," they call it: I-5 through a rather dull and dismal part of western WA). One can hop a train to either place, but it's a bit of work. Traveling East Coast cities is in my observation much easier, with more to see urban-side.

In terms of nature, Seattle is a moderate-sized metro area (4M people) surrounded by towering peaks and pine forests. Weather can be downright weird, rain notwithstanding (wind storms, rare blizzards, crazed rainfall, snowfall, and flash floods deep in the Cascades, etc.). Pretty and wild country maybe an hour outside of Seattle, if-that, to the west or north. Traveling west, to the islands or peninsula, involves ferry rides.

Good luck.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:34 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatoma View Post
Jalhop, when speaking of a "great" summers (maybe in comparison to Boston), does it mean its hotter or milder?
Great, period. 70s and sunny for the most part but as short as six weeks. Lowish humidity. Boston is a bit warmer and presumably more humid.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:59 PM

52 posts, read 105,925 times
I usually take the bus and don't drive much but I do have a car. My co pays for my bus pass, but at a minimum it is 90/month (and can be up to 190) so keep that in mind. Cabs are ridiculously expensive, way better to have a decent driving record and sign up for car2go since the parking area is basically the all of seattle. Note though that parking downtown can be a real PITA so you might still have to walk some. I live in Maple Leaf but I am moving to Green Lake and considered all of the areas you mentioned. Like most people said, 800/mo is *very* difficult -- you would be in roommate territory and might have good luck in the university area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area