Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 PM

9 posts, read 30,550 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anyone that works for Amazon? I have an offer for a technical role on their AWS team and I've read HORRIBLE things on glassdoor.com regarding work/life balance and corporate culture. It was very common to see people talk about 10-12+ hour shifts every day, managers being demeaning to employees and not caring about them, basically treating them as disposable. What've you guys heard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleteno5 View Post
Does anyone know anyone that works for Amazon? I have an offer for a technical role on their AWS team and I've read HORRIBLE things on glassdoor.com regarding work/life balance and corporate culture. It was very common to see people talk about 10-12+ hour shifts every day, managers being demeaning to employees and not caring about them, basically treating them as disposable. What've you guys heard?
My spouse works 14 hour days routinely...though he is not a technical person. Work life balance is not on their radar.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:18 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
If you want work-life balance, Amazon is not the place for it. To some degree, IT in general focuses on a long workweek to get things done, and Amazon is no exception.

I know a lady who worked for Amazon more than a decade ago (programmer) and I know a gentleman who works there in QA currently. Their stories regarding work-life balance are similar.

The upside to working for Amazon is that they don't even pay the most, so you can use your experience at Amazon to procure a higher salary somewhere else further down the road.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:21 AM

872 posts, read 1,263,317 times
Don't believe everything you read on Glassdoor. For one, I've found their salary estimates to be completely off. Two, the job will depend a lot on your immediate managers and team. How did you like the people you interviewed with? If you can, set up one last debriefing-type phone call and check the "culture fit" and if you just plain get along. I know it's not foolproof, but if you can suss out some of the behaviours you're worried about, that should answer your questions a lot better than Glassdoor.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:02 AM

35 posts, read 197,235 times
I strongly echo wideworld's suggestion to ask your manager. A friend was deciding between two teams when he was being recruited and after talking with both managers he chose the slower-paced one.

My husband is an SDE2 and his regular hours are about 8:30-6:00. It varies though - sometimes he finishes earlier and sometimes he's there until 7 and does extra work when he gets home. The Glassdoor testimonials skewed much more negative than his experience. He found that the work/life balance at Amazon is comparable to every (non entry-level) job he's ever had.

It really depends on your team and your own personality. If you don't like the team you're on you can transfer internally. Also all the big tech companies poach from each other so it's easy to move on if you don't like it.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:09 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I think any of the big companies here (Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, etc) are going to expect you to work long hours. This is the "big leagues" in terms of jobs (they don't put people through 5+ hour interviews for nothing). They want the best of the best, and if you want to earn the big dollars they will be throwing at you, that means you will work. A lot.

My husband landed a job at Microsoft in March after working at IBM for 14 years. At IBM he was able to telecommute (which is frowned upon at Microsoft), and while he did work long hours...at least he was here at home. Now he works a 10-12 hour day at the office, and is often paged at odd hours on nights and weekends to work. On Sunday he is traveling to China for 2 weeks. They expect him to work hard to earn those big bucks.

I think if you're looking for work/life balance, Seattle IT is not the place for you. This is a competitive environment, and you are expected to show up and work hard. It can be stressful and draining, only you can decide if the trade off is worth it (time vs. $$$).

Old 07-04-2013, 03:31 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Highly variable. It boils down to expectation and perception on your end as well as expectation, position, team, project, leadership, season, industry, and probably a whole host of other external variables.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:27 PM

563 posts, read 1,787,638 times
correct. Worklife balance depends on the team and individual, not the company. And no, Microsoft does not frown upon telecommuting. It does vary by team/position and individual lerformance/ability.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:35 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Don't believe everything you read on Glassdoor. For one, I've found their salary estimates to be completely off. Two, the job will depend a lot on your immediate managers and team. How did you like the people you interviewed with? If you can, set up one last debriefing-type phone call and check the "culture fit" and if you just plain get along. I know it's not foolproof, but if you can suss out some of the behaviours you're worried about, that should answer your questions a lot better than Glassdoor.
My husband was at Amazon for almost 5 years and only left for a much better situation and office with a door. He did really well there salary-wise but the stock was also at $60 when he joined so the run helped immensely. He had good work life balance as a PM/TPM and a Senior Product Mgr but he would also tell you it depends on your immediate managers and team. He enjoyed his time there and would go back to the right team and the right position someday.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:10 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
Hmm, my perspective is that the Boeing culture couldn't be more different than Amazon, in terms of such things as creativity, energy, and yes, work-life balance. But I agree with others that the "balance" question really depends on which team, project, or group you are with. I'm guessing that on average, the hours worked at Microsoft are lower than they were in the 1990s when the company was at an earlier stage of its development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I think any of the big companies here (Microsoft, Amazon, Boeing, etc) are going to expect you to work long hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: