Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 05:27 AM

7 posts, read 30,170 times

Advertisements

Hi, I could potentially be relocating from NYC to Seattle for work. I've visited Seattle once and my two main concerns are:

1. Culture - Obviously NYC has a lot to offer regarding music, art and theater. And the mix of people adds so much depth. How does Seattle compare?

2. Dating - I'm a single thirty-year-old woman. While NYC can be brutal when it comes to dating, there are at least a good number of singles living here. How does Seattle compare?

Thanks for your insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 05:55 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Music, art and theater is alive and well and pretty significate in Seattle but of course not on such a grand scale as NY.

Seattle has one of the largest percentages of singles in the U.S. Being single myself, dating hasn't been a problem for me.

You will find things move much slower out here. It truely is a very laid back city imo.
I'm from the east. Lived in NY, NJ and Washington D.C. I've adjusted quite well.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:16 AM

70 posts, read 295,845 times
I'm in the same boat as Nat. I have visited a few times since 2001 and have grown to love the city. It's beauty, the coffee, it's laid backness and the bars. I'm just wondering how it ranks with NY in terms of the people (how rude are they? I have heard some stories.) and what's the city like during the work week.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:36 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
One of the main differences during the work week is that the streets downtown bustle like Manhattan only until around 6 or 7. At that point, most of the stores start closing up and the streets get alot quieter. You don't get the 24/7 craziness like you do in NYC. Also, people can be rude but more in a passive aggressive way, as opposed to the in-your-face NYC A-hole.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:14 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
It's not a fair comparison. There is no place in the USA quite like NYC. But on that same note Seattle has it's own uniqueness to it also. 12:00 O'clock at nite NYC streets are still very busy with people walking on the sidewalks.
The 2 are big major cities so they share alot in terms of "city living".

The 2 major differences would be the people & population! and the weather!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:11 AM

14 posts, read 38,301 times
So did you ever move? Seattle is rainy, romantic and much smaller of course! Just find people who enjoy your interests and life remains amusing and fun. Checkout other singles on meetup.com or other similar sites. I hope you are enjoying if you ended up coming out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: