U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 AM

89 posts, read 159,175 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I love the look of Lake Forest Park and Shoreline, but one can only tell so much looking online! Can anyone give me advice about schools and neighborhood safety? Commute to either downtown Seattle or the East Side where my husband may be working? Oh also, friendly people hopefully?!

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 10:40 AM

642 posts, read 1,636,518 times
First off, I'm not from the Seattle area but being I have visited several times and follow issues closely on CD with this area (because I love it so much here) I know just enough to be respond.

Lake Forest Park is gorgeous, beautiful scenery, nice homes but VERY pricey. From what I saw, average home prices start around 350K for anything remotely decent. Safety wise, Lake Forest Park seems quite safe based on the crime maps I've seen.

Shoreline, another area I've liked some is slightly more affordable housing, crime however is a little more prevalent but still nothing near as bad as other parts of Seattle. Overall, both places are nice, I would definitely choose Lake Forest Park if your blessed with the finances to afford it.

FWIW: Here is a link to a webcam in Shoreline:

http://wwc.instacam.com/instacamimg/...5-042120131500

Old 07-11-2013, 12:54 PM

5,075 posts, read 10,002,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
First off, I'm not from the Seattle area but being I have visited several times and follow issues closely on CD with this area (because I love it so much here) I know just enough to be respond.

Lake Forest Park is gorgeous, beautiful scenery, nice homes but VERY pricey. From what I saw, average home prices start around 350K for anything remotely decent. Safety wise, Lake Forest Park seems quite safe based on the crime maps I've seen.

Shoreline, another area I've liked some is slightly more affordable housing, crime however is a little more prevalent but still nothing near as bad as other parts of Seattle. Overall, both places are nice, I would definitely choose Lake Forest Park if your blessed with the finances to afford it.

FWIW: Here is a link to a webcam in Shoreline:

http://wwc.instacam.com/instacamimg/...5-042120131500
Lake Forest Park is actually fairly inexpensive compared to similar parts of North Seattle. Looking at recent sales you can get quite a bit more house for your money. Here's a lake view home for $365K - LFP and kenmore are pretty much the only places in the north end you can find something like this:

15514 35th Ave NE, Lake Forest Park, WA 98155 | MLS# 471922 | Redfin

Huge house sold for under $400K:
16930 33rd Ave NE, Lake Forest Park, WA 98155 | MLS# 462043 | Redfin

It's a nice area with a suburban feel.

Shoreline is mostly ok, though parts around the center (Aurora) can be really run down.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:34 PM

Thanks so much everyone! LFP seems to be at the top of our list for now. Hopefully the commute into downtown is not too difficult?

Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,409 times
I live in Edmonds, and use the Mountlake Terrace Park and Ride that is on I5. It is super easy to get downtown from that park and ride, so if you have a car that should work nicely for you. Buses come every 10 minutes and the trip to/from downtown is usually 25 minutes.

On days that I drive in, traffic is pretty rough if I leave after 6:45am. Then getting home is always a pain unless you wait until after 6:30. So I wouldn't plan on driving in every day unless you carpool.

Getting to the Eastside from north of the lake is pretty easy too! No bridges to deal with and there are lots of different route options.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemover View Post
I live in Edmonds, and use the Mountlake Terrace Park and Ride that is on I5. It is super easy to get downtown from that park and ride, so if you have a car that should work nicely for you. Buses come every 10 minutes and the trip to/from downtown is usually 25 minutes.

On days that I drive in, traffic is pretty rough if I leave after 6:45am. Then getting home is always a pain unless you wait until after 6:30. So I wouldn't plan on driving in every day unless you carpool.

Getting to the Eastside from north of the lake is pretty easy too! No bridges to deal with and there are lots of different route options.
Thanks very much! Exactly the information I was hoping for. I appreciate it

Old 07-11-2013, 03:30 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,731,891 times
Shoreline is pretty large, and ranges from quite fancy to quite run down, but with good schools. Lake Forest Park does havs a certain magic to it. Huge trees, lots of mid century modern homes, and a sense of community.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:37 PM

Thank you! I've also been looking at Edmonds now that it was mentioned earlier in this post and it looks lovely! Can anyone tell me how the town is?

Old 07-11-2013, 03:41 PM

7,758 posts, read 14,788,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbestcoast View Post
Thank you! I've also been looking at Edmonds now that it was mentioned earlier in this post and it looks lovely! Can anyone tell me how the town is?
Well, if you live in the Edmonds Bowl, it's quite idyllic. But that's also the more expensive area. You have this small town setting which is quite beautiful and quaint. The energy is pretty quiet and low-key. You have the ferry to take you to the peninsula and the train station to take you to Seattle DT. The schools are decent.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Well, if you live in the Edmonds Bowl, it's quite idyllic. But that's also the more expensive area. You have this small town setting which is quite beautiful and quaint. The energy is pretty quiet and low-key. You have the ferry to take you to the peninsula and the train station to take you to Seattle DT. The schools are decent.
Thank you! I appreciate your input. I'll add Edmonds to our list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area