Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,258 times

Advertisements

Hello
I am new to this forum and will also be new to Washington in a few months. My wife and I are moving to the Seattle area because she is an active duty Navy nurse and will be attending UW(Seattle) for the next three years. If all goes well, she could get follow up orders to the Bremerton Naval Hospital. This would put us in the area for at least six years. We are planning on buying a house because we are tired of renting. We are looking at living on the Kitsap side because a) everything we see and hear about the area fits us b) if the follow on orders work out she will have to live within a half hour of the hospital. The commute to Seattle for class isn't too big of an issue because she will only have to physically attend class a few times a quarter. I am also looking to get hired as a law enforcement officer in the area and would like to live somewhere that allows the most amount of options of cities within reasonable distance to help with the search. Our first thought was Poulsbo because we have heard nothing but great reviews and and the Kingston ferry would work well for school. However, I believe this really limits me in finding a job because it's shoved up in the corner of the peninsula. Now we are thinking Port Orchard down to Gig Harbor. We like the area (based on the Internet and friends) but would like some more info. Is the toll bridge (Narrows?) only for getting into Tacoma, or can it be bypassed if driving past Tacoma to Federal Way, or up into Seattle, etc.? What are the other commuting options? By chance are there any LEOs who could give me any other advice?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. We are currently living in Sicily and trying to coordinate this HUGE task of moving back to the US, going to a new area, buying a house, starting a new career... And help would be appreciated.

Thank You
David Schulz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 01:00 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
There are 3 routes from the peninsula to the 'east' side.

1) Take a ferry
2) Cross the Narrows bridge
3) Drive 101 to Olympia and get on I-5

There are no shortcuts to bypass the Narrows bridge unless you take an airplane, helicopter or boat.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Hopefully it does turn out to only require her to be at UW a few times. That commute to school would be brutal. I work on the Seattle waterfront and some co-workers take the ferry in from Poulsbo or Bainbridge Island, but it's less than a mile walk from the ferry dock. For you it would be another 1/2 hour drive through nasty Seattle traffic to UW or a 20 minute walk and 30 minute bus ride in addition to the ferry. From Port Orchard/Gig Harbor that would be even worse. There is the Fauntleroy/Southworth ferry that runs between West Seattle and not too far from Port Orchard, but the drive from West Seattle to UW is also going to be nasty and at least 45 minutes. The round trip is over $20/day just in ferry fare, though that's less than the Bremerton or Bainbridge prices.

I would still recommend Poulsbo for you. You will only be 15-20 minutes from Silverdale and Bremerton where there is more need for law enforcement and even if you worked in Seattle just 20 minutes to the Bainbridge Ferry.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:38 PM

301 posts, read 519,339 times
Hemlock is absolutely correct--the commute from Port Orchard or Gig Harbor to UW would be brutal. I wouldn't advise it. I, too, think your best bet is Poulsbo. I'd recommend Kingston, too, if it wasn't slightly outside the 1/2 hour requirement (it's about 35 minutes to Bremerton).

Also, the naval hospital is in the north end of West Bremerton. Any drive up from south of Bremerton means having to drive through Gorst, which is a nasty, dangerous bottleneck around Sinclair Inlet. Commute time for her might get dicey if she has an early morning shift.

Another possibility is the Manette or Illahee areas of Bremerton, if you find Seattle is your only hope of employment. You could take public transportation to/from the ferry terminals. Walk on going east is free, walk on going west is a little over $7 with a multi-ride discount card.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,258 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. I had forgotten about what I had heard bout traffic around the inlet. Is it bad going southbound as well? For example if I lived in Poulsbo and worked in Pierce County (Sheriffs Office is hiring). Besides the toll bridge would there be any other concerns with making that commute? I couldn't tell you where in Pierce County, hopefully in Gig Harbor or Tacoma, or somewhere else North. Also would a drive all the way to Federal Way be feasible? I'm applying to a lot of departments and just want to get a good hold of the area. I really appreciate all the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area