U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 5,035 times

Advertisements

I am 36 years old without a degree and my husband the same and 42 years old. We are an interracial couple (me black and husband white) and have two children and currently live in NY. We have family that has lived in Seattle with children and loved it. We would be moving without jobs and wondered how good an idea that is. We have 50,000 saved that we can use for living expenses until we are working. NY is wonderful in some aspects, however even in the bad areas(one in which we currently live) are super expensive. We have a 2 bedroom and pay $1500 for it and 3 bedrooms are $1900 and up. This again I state is not even a good neighborhood. We wanted a nice area to raise our kids with lots of outdoor things to do and of course decent schools. I love reading the threads since they are informative. Anyone currently in Seattle or outskirts that has made a successful move without a job? We were also looking at Virginia however looking at the job boards show that Seattle has a lot more jobs and the pay is higher.
All responses are welcome. Have a wonderful day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,903 posts, read 67,237,512 times
Seattle rent in nice areas is about the same as you mentioned in NY, for the best schools it will be higher than that. people have moved here without jobs and been successful, however others have not been so lucky. When we moved here I did not want to be without income for my family of 5 and bought a business, which worked out well for 17 years. Times have changed since, though. Most of the good jobs here are high tech, your chances depend on the kind of work you do.
Even with our lower than average unemployment rate, there are still many applicants for every job. You would be surprised at how fast $50,000 can go here. The cost of living is not the same as New York City or San Francisco but not that much less.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 PM

8,356 posts, read 7,395,918 times
It's great here. For about $1800 you can get a 3 bedroom townhome in a wonderful community with excellent schools, parks, transportation, mountain views (at least where I live in the suburb of Issaquah.. 20 miles outside of downtown Seattle).

The challenge is going to be finding a job. I think $50k will hold you over for 3-4 months, but at that point either of you will have to have a job.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:19 PM

4,424 posts, read 8,562,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
The challenge is going to be finding a job. I think $50k will hold you over for 3-4 months, but at that point either of you will have to have a job.
It's always risky moving without a job, but I think your money will last longer than this.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:39 PM

265 posts, read 683,383 times
If you find reasonable housing, say around $2000/mo it could easily last you up to a year. Drop about $400 and get year passes to the aquarium, pacific science center, zoo and emp so you can visit as often as you want, then take advantage of all the free stuff/places there is to go. Walk as much as you can and take the bus. Don't go crazy on food and you should be okay We can live on A LOT less then we think we can if we are just fugal. And I am certain you won't have to go a full year without work.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:11 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,722,512 times
The median household income for Seattle is about 63,000 dollars per year. Meaning half the households make more, and half the households make less.
Everything is a matter of perspective. A not good area in NY is far worse than a not good area in Seattle. Bad public schools in NY are far worse than bad public schools in Seattle. If you make 500,000 dollars per year, you'd think that 50,000 dollars could only last three months. But many, many people would be able to live for a year on that in Seattle.
Rents for a nicer newer 2 bedroom apartment in most of Seattle range from 1700-2000+ per month. A house would cost more. And some of the southern outskirts would be much less expensive. A two bedroom dump in Auburn will rent for 800.
There are only a few places in the Seattle area that are really bad. Most of the places people warn you about are places that people originally from the east coast(me) would look at and say " Come on, really?"
Sometimes a big change in location is good. I say do it.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:47 PM

8,356 posts, read 7,395,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The median household income for Seattle is about 63,000 dollars per year. Meaning half the households make more, and half the households make less.
Everything is a matter of perspective. A not good area in NY is far worse than a not good area in Seattle. Bad public schools in NY are far worse than bad public schools in Seattle. If you make 500,000 dollars per year, you'd think that 50,000 dollars could only last three months. But many, many people would be able to live for a year on that in Seattle.
Rents for a nicer newer 2 bedroom apartment in most of Seattle range from 1700-2000+ per month. A house would cost more. And some of the southern outskirts would be much less expensive. A two bedroom dump in Auburn will rent for 800.
There are only a few places in the Seattle area that are really bad. Most of the places people warn you about are places that people originally from the east coast(me) would look at and say " Come on, really?"
Sometimes a big change in location is good. I say do it.

I always advise the conservative perspective with money, but this is true. We lived off of $85k last year that included paying for a kid's therapy services, college tuition and the yearly international trip to visit the inlaws. Remove those three things and our family of 4 really lived day-to-day on $60k.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:43 PM

83 posts, read 216,603 times
Why not have one person look for a job first? Or even better, are either of you entrepreneurial? Create/buy some income producing online assets to generate cash flow - just an idea.

Of course going from working to being a business owner is no small mindset shift, but it can happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area