U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:46 PM

10,062 posts, read 10,610,448 times

Advertisements

PLEASE get psychiatric help if you need it! God bless.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,091 posts, read 61,991,364 times
Before we moved here from CA we came up in December, and that sold us on it.
Snow, freezing fog, cold, even freezing rain. No boring sunny, warm weather. It's definitely a matter of taste. We have been here 20 years now and would never consider going back. This is one of the best summers we have had. Morning clouds and afternoon sun, not too hot. Perfect.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:15 PM

8,004 posts, read 10,651,576 times
I am the nicest color of almost chocolate brown. Why? Because I've been working out in my yard, periodically, since March/April, mainly on sunny days. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Maybe you meant to say, "If you love sun, you might always get as much as you like, in Western WA.

See, that's what gets us locals in a tizzy....the exaggerated statements like, "It rains constantly", "The sun never shines". Some years it takes "summer" a little longer to get here, but that usually means that it's going to be here a little longer, too. Some years, we get more rain than others...some more wind than others.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:16 AM

302 posts, read 446,650 times
See, that's what gets us locals in a tizzy....the exaggerated statements like, "It rains constantly", "The sun never shines". Some years it takes "summer" a little longer to get here, but that usually means that it's going to be here a little longer, too. Some years, we get more rain than others...some more wind than others.

And that's why I keep wondering why people think I am wrong for wanting to move there. We don't want tons of heat or tons of sun. We want the cooler, wetter climates with some sun. Ah well. We are looking forward to our move, even if it is 5 years down the road or there-abouts.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 AM

8,004 posts, read 10,651,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbjbb View Post

And that's why I keep wondering why people think I am wrong for wanting to move there. We don't want tons of heat or tons of sun. We want the cooler, wetter climates with some sun. Ah well. We are looking forward to our move, even if it is 5 years down the road or there-abouts.
If you're an active, busy kind of person, you simply do indoor activities and hobbies, when the weather is not nice. If you don't want tons of heat or tons of sun, you're looking at the right place. LOL That's why we love it here as well. That "clean", just washed smell...and the smell of green. Gosh, it's just hard to beat!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 AM

118 posts, read 269,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo123go View Post
I moved to seattle from San Diego a few years ago. It was for a job promotion. Seattle looked great in the summer when the company was trying to convince me to come. Although it is nice in summer it is horrible 9 months out of the year.

This is personal opinion and the biggest problem is probably that I came from such a wonderful place. Am just warning people from southern calif. or other sunny places to not make the same mistake I did. I bought a house at the top of the market and it has had rot and mold issues from the horrible winters. 9 to 10 months out of the year the seattle area is dark, cold , incredibly wet and so depressing. I never experienced depression before, but I had it my first winter here. I am trying to move back, but issues with the house, marriage problems from my depression and job etc making it difficult. it was so bad I had a suicide attempt last winter and if I don't get out before this summer it could happen again. Just warning if you like the sun at all , you will never see it in western Washington. I also am used to friendly people which I don't see up here.
You're mentally unstable, which is a separate issue from the weather. Get help.

San Diego--all of California--is a dump to me. There's no water, it's too hot, I don't speak Spanish, I'm not rich enough, I hate surfing/salt water, I'm not homosexual, I'm not into driving, I hate pollution, blondes are boring, I hate t.v., etc, etc, etc.

The PNW is having its own real estate market crash right now. It will get better soon. I hope.

Mold isn't a NW thing. It is a hygiene thing.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 PM

414 posts, read 1,053,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbjbb View Post

In the winter months, sun sometimes will take a peek thru the clouds for 15 minutes or so. Other days can be clear and sunny. I remember in Feb 2010, it was sunny with some clouds for a week and it was high in the 50's to 60's, which is not usual for the area.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 PM

257 posts, read 265,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo123go View Post
I moved to seattle from San Diego a few years ago. .... I bought a house at the top of the market,... it has had rot and mold issues from the horrible winters. 9 to 10 months out of the year the seattle area is dark, cold , incredibly wet and so depressing. I never experienced depression before, but I had it my first winter here. I am trying to move back, but issues with the house, marriage problems from my depression and job etc making it difficult. it was so bad I had a suicide attempt last winter and if I don't get out before this summer it could happen again. Just warning if you like the sun at all , you will never see it in western Washington. I also am used to friendly people which I don't see up here.
OP, you have had many stresses in a short period of time. Any one can be stressful and put them together and they can be overwhelming. I understand the depression. Are you seeing a counselor? It may help to have someone to talk to. You have a lot to deal with and some assistance is needed.
As I see it, the stresses are:
Move to new state (loss of friends and familiar environment, stress of relocating, social aloneness..)
New job (pressure to perform..., new role, new politics, new processes, new culture to adjust to)
New house (financing, furnishing, ...)
Financial strain of house losing value...
Major adaption to weather (no small adjustment)
Strained marital relations (you are both going through adjustment)
Living in the same state/house and changing jobs has a degree of stress. You have exponentially increased stress with all the changes.
Perhaps take a ride in the beautiful nature of the PNW to get away from the stresses for a bit.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 21,268 times
Default Seattle depression

people hibernate in the winter and don't come out of their houses. Seems like the ethnic groups keep to,their own kind much more up,here. Summer is fairly friendly . I am feeling better now that is summer.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:24 AM

34 posts, read 41,744 times
Default Plan your escape

Don't let people make you believe you are weak or a wuss, expect that some people won't understand you. The brain's physiology is very complex. There are many factors involved and for sure, there were many things to adjust when moving to a new place. But let me share some thoughts and observations, I have to confess I've been obsessed with this issue, since I wanted to know what the heck happened to me, as I am a weather casualty too. First, just as they won't understand you, it is hard for us to understand how some people can live in this environment but I've seen a lot of people are unaffected or just slightly affected by lack of light, hard to believe, but is true, and I believe it has a lot to do with genetics. Some people produce Serotonin faster than others and so deplete their Vitamin D "stores" at a slower pace than others. In general women produce less and burn it faster, and anecdotally I've seen in this forum that men handle the lack of light better than women, but it is not always the case and it has nothing to do with virility. Animals that are not exposed to light tend to lose pigmentation like deep sea creatures, blind salamanders, Gollum ? Caucasians evolved in northern Europe so it's their habitat, and some suffer in a tropical weather. Funny thing is I've been classified as Caucasian but I have all kinds of blood mixed in, and I suffered really bad to the point where I left the PNW, and now I feel incredibly better, I would say I have more problems now, but I feel much more capable of dealing with them. It seems it will be hard for you to leave, so it is very important that you take your Vitamin D pills, buy full spectrum light bulbs, buy your happy lamp, go to tanning salons, and get out every opportunity you have, like get out of the office when you notice a sunbreak, no one will care or notice, take beach vacations if possible, but try to get out of there, because contrary to popular belief, Washington state has the highest incidence in skin cancer and it is high (5th by state) in cancer overall, along with Multiple Sclerosis because again Serotonin is an antioxidant. Also, you can take vitamin D but there is new research that the body not only produces that but also nitric oxide which is beneficial too: http://www.ted.com/talks/richard_wel...ted.com_Weller Last note, I know some people get very defensive and will immediately go search my posts and find a trend, and probably even give ad-hominem attack, just know I anticipate them and I am not easily dissuaded or deterred by negative comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area