Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:25 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
They have lights which apparently simulate natural sunlight (more so than the average bulb claims). Some even emit ions and play sound effects. Has anyone here actually tried these and notice any positive effects from using them? Aside from placebo
I've read that some doctors prescribe some kind of machine that emits negative ions to combat SAD. If you can find something like that, or what type of light/ion emission it is you're talking about here, and post it, you'd be doing a lot of people a huge service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 01:42 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
With water comes negative ions, too. I live in Moses Lake, WA, and that is one reason I just moved here from Alamogordo, NM. I needed the negative ions that come from being around water. Washington state fits the bill...naturally.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:44 PM

426 posts, read 526,919 times
So hopefully I don't violate any forum regulations by sharing this link (it's in the spirit of this thread) but here is one I was looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/NatureBright-S...ords=sun+light

It has generally great reviews. One PhD points out that the negative ion generator actually creates ozone instead, which may have undesired/unexpected effects. There are 1,000's of reviews though, so I'm looking to get both sides of the story. Also, it looks like you can turn it off, and everyone seems to be raving about the light.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:51 PM

Excellent, CityWok! I don't see how your post would violate any city-data rules, but I'm not one of the Moderators, either. I just like your explanation for the link you provided and it sounds like the PhD is seriously onto something strong and beneficial for people suffering from SAD (about half of the western Washington population, then). Just kidding.

Sort of.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:34 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
With water comes negative ions, too. I live in Moses Lake, WA, and that is one reason I just moved here from Alamogordo, NM. I needed the negative ions that come from being around water. Washington state fits the bill...naturally.
Exactly! That's why I'd hoped to move back to coastal CA from NM--the crashing surf! Aaahhhhh. But rents have exploded in the Bay Area, so now I'm looking at Western Washington. (But not Seattle!) And that rain that everyone seems to hate also creates negative ions. I guess there's such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:45 PM

299 posts, read 666,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
RIP Kurt Cobain, I Miss NIRVANA
He was miserable and stoned-out, and his music was just as miserable. Good riddance to grunge- I don't miss it at all.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Kurt Cobain was not ready to die. He was murdered by Courtney Love. True story. Because I said it you know it's true. He was reportedly happy at the time of his death. The gun would have to be operated by some sort of pulley-system by his feet because the gun had absolutely no fingerprints on it whatsoever. And no, Kurt was not wearing gloves when he was found dead, either.

You do the math, he was talking about divorcing Courtney because of her zany drug-infested lifestyle. Kurt was on heroin but apparently heroin was the only thing he found that would relieve his constant stomach pain. She didn't want ta be left high and dry moneywise by Kurt so she set the whole murder up so she would get his vast chunk of money.

I believe he was murdered and did not commit suicide. What do you think?
The funny part is people associate Cobain's alleged suicide with Seattle's SAD, but it had nothing to do with Seattle or any kind of seasonal disorder. Cobain was a heroin addict- that alone spells an early death. Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison were heroin addicts that both died young and didn't live in Seattle. Many outsiders like to blame Seattle for the SAD, depression, and high suicide rates, but most of it comes from within. In other words it's the person, not the weather or the geographic location.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:06 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniko912 View Post
Krieger00 is absolutely right.

I moved to Seattle when I was 13, and even then it was very difficult to break into an already established group of friends. After years, I was finally accepted into the group, but only to an extent, and was never considered "one of them". I went to school in Southern California and was forced to move back to Seattle for a major operation. Otherwise, I would not have even considered the idea. Seattle is much more down to Earth than Southern California... but... it has some serious downfalls.

If you are considering moving to Seattle, here are the biggest considerations.

1.) The weather.

It is cloudy 9 months out of the year. Sometimes we will have good years, but don't count on them. I am a very outgoing and cheery person, but the weather has been enough to cause me to start suffering from depression. If you love the sun.. do not move here, ever. Come visit during our beautiful summers, but avoid the other 9 months.

2.) It's pretty dirty.

Maybe my idea of dirty is skewed... I consider a clean city to look like Vienna or London. I live in Capitol Hill as well, and it is pretty grimy and has a lot of homeless and junkies. I live by a park and I am constantly calling the police because violent and loud fights break out all the time in the middle of the night. Living close to downtown was a bad idea... it can be very sketchy and as mentioned before, I see fights break out all of the time between junkies. Not pleasant to see all the time.

3.) The people.

As Krieger00 mentioned, it is difficult to make friends, people are very flakey and unreliable. You are lucky to find someone who actually follows through with plans you have made, if you were lucky enough to have made plans made in the first place. Everyone seems to just prefer to do their own thing. The best way I can describe Seattleites: surface level friendly. They are polite and kind, but don't want to be best friends and are not warm. I thought the Seattle freeze wasn't real... well, I was in denial. It is very much real.

4.) Parking.

This might not seem like a big deal, but if you have a car and depend on street parking, good luck. I have to plan my days around parking. Around 3 pm in my neighborhood, spots become scarce. By 4pm people are racing each other for open spots. Another point about Seattle parking is safety. I see broken glass on the streets everywhere all of the time. My car was vandalized by a heroin addict. He took a huge rock and smashed my car windows and dented the doors. It was not pleasant to deal with, and I now know better than to park by the park. He didn't even steal anything, just wanted to go on a rampage.

5.) Money.

Seattle is expensive... unless you have the kind of money to live in comfort, don't move here. Rent is expensive... you can live in a dump and pay no less than 900. Food is expensive... just overall... it's expensive, and in my opinion, you don't get much for what you are paying. I could be living in so many other wonderful places for what I am paying and get so much more out of it.

6.) People are not very cultured.

I have had the good fortune to have travelled a good bit.... whenever I go to parties or get into conversations with 20 somethings and 30 somethings, I can't even hold a conversation. If I even mention something about a country other than the US or a different culture, the conversation gets shut down immediately. There are a lot of tech people here too... and though they are intelligent in their own way does not they have much, let's call it "range" in personality. Topics will either be computers, football, or beer. Seriously, that is it. I have to speak to people in their 40's or 50's to have an interesting conversation.

7.) Housing.

It is difficult to find housing here within your budget unless you don't have a budget. Especially during the summer.

Here are the positives:

1.) Glorious summers.

Summers here are so beautiful and there is a lot to do in the area, such as hiking, going to beaches and swimming in the lakes. The temperature is perfect. It rarely gets too hot.

2.) People don't care about status.

You can tell just by walking around that fashionable in Seattle means Northface or hipster. Beyond that, no one really gives a damn about the way you look here, unlike Southern California. Being rich here is not cool. So flaunting money is a good way to get shunned and judged. It was very refreshing for me to move here at first after spending years in LA. Key word "at first".

3.) Nature.

Seattle is a beautiful city because it is surrounded by mountains and the sound and has surrounding lakes. They are stunning when not covered by clouds.

I hope this is helpful to someone. It was helpful to me.. I really needed to vent.
This about sums it up.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly! That's why I'd hoped to move back to coastal CA from NM--the crashing surf! Aaahhhhh. But rents have exploded in the Bay Area, so now I'm looking at Western Washington. (But not Seattle!) And that rain that everyone seems to hate also creates negative ions. I guess there's such a thing as too much of a good thing.
I'd rather have rain than too much sun, too much heat, or too much snow and ice. I used to live in Phoenix and I think I was affected more by SAD there because of the nearly 6 months of relentless heat, scorching sun, and lack of rain. Seattle's gray skies and wet weather become a little old by late spring but I'll gladly take it over risking heat stroke, skin cancer, and being plain miserable like I was in Phoenix.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:14 PM

seattlecoming - I agree completely with you about Seattle and the alleged suicide/depression link. It's all in the heads of the usual suspects. Now, understand, I was born in Seattle and raised in Edmonds and am a resident of Moses Lake, WA, now. But I am part of and raised in this watery, liquid kind of western Washington kind of thing. I am used to living liquid, living large in watery liquid with cloudy skies. I have web feet and that is all there is to it. I can tell you that the watery vapor of western Washington is what I am a part of and what is me, depression doesn't even enter into this in any way, whatsoever.

All praise goes to you Jehovah God the Creator of the universe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area