U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 12:39 PM

2,462 posts, read 1,026,686 times

Advertisements

I do think about comitting suicide at times but never had the guts to do it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 07:17 PM

18,722 posts, read 19,040,461 times
Yeah, the weather just about anywhere, is going to be a step-down from San Diego. At least that is my opinion.

Seattle is gorgeous when it is summertime, can be quite gloomy when the grey and drizzly goes-on for weeks.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 AM

1,275 posts, read 2,651,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
I sincerely hope you don't.
Suicide = a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Get help if you can, please!

Old 08-24-2017, 03:05 PM

434 posts, read 352,293 times
Quote:
And that's why I keep wondering why people think I am wrong for wanting to move there. We don't want tons of heat or tons of sun. We want the cooler, wetter climates with some sun. Ah well. We are looking forward to our move, even if it is 5 years down the road or there-abouts.

Dear OP....I totally hear ya. I'm in San Diego and am on a similar 5-year-plan to move up there to Western WA. I've been "doing my homework & deep research" for going on 3-4 years now, and especially at this forum, you start to see *trends* with certain people trying to scare-off or dissuade newcomers, especially So. CA-ians. *Some* seem to have a real stick in their craw over So. CA-ians. If you are around here at this forum long enough, you even accidentally discover that some who complain longest and loudest about us CA-ians, actually are EX-CA-ians themselves! LOL! And are they ever defensive if you bring this up, quoting their own words!..... Double standard much?

Anyway...back on point, I've heard all the same stuff you're hearing, much of it conflicting, or at the very least confusing, and yes, I too trust my own ability to know what I want and my climate tolerance levels. No one here seems to want to acknowledge (nor have experienced personally) that indeed, there is Reverse S.A.D, where some of us suffer in hot sunny climates, as much as those who suffer it in wet rainy climates. Maybe it's only becoming more "known" a condition with the more recent extremes in climate change, I dunno!

Personally, we are planning trips up to WA *see for ourselves* in at least two complete opposite seasons. I've even had people here say "No, no, no...you have to actually SUFFER through living here continuously, day-upon-day, month-upon-month, to get the full flavor of how awful it really is!" ...as if anyone has that much spare time to devote to trying a new location. Funny thing is...if it's so god-awful, why do THEY stay, and stay, and stay? LOL!

One insightful thing I do is, every day I lookup the weather for the particular town we're interested in moving to, and lo-and-behold, I get the straight skinny! I even can lookup weather cams that show live weather of that town and see with my own eyeballs, without having to listen to anyone else's skew! Strangely enough, for the last two years that I've been doing that, the town we're interested in has largely had at least 2-3 sunny days per week, and even the non-totally sunny days are just partially cloudy...there are some glimpses of sun that day! Rainy days there never go on unending for months at a time.

I've also become keenly aware of the multitude of microclimates in Western WA....where the weather can be quite different literally just 20 miles away from location to location.

So I highly recommend you get an idea where you think you might want to live, and just track it daily online, see for yourself. You may learn enough from doing just that to either love it, or want to choose another location. For me personally, and for the town I'm interested in, it's completely refuted the claim of "constant rain".

But I totally sympathize with you in trying to sift the wheat from the chaf of opinions here. There are some very helpful folks on here who give you the straight scoop on things, ....but the problem is, it's hard to know for sure which ones those are, because some have their own personal *issues*, and there are also enough folk throwing up smoke screens because they hate newcomers and are just sure newcomers are out to wreck what they have in their area, so they want to dissuade you from coming up at all. And too, that microclimate issue. Maybe where they live really is constantly rainy and miserable and they therefore are miserable and want to leave. Maybe THEY are the ones who didn't do their research!

The way I personally look at it is.......I am miserable and feel physically ill at least 5 months of my year due to hot humid weather. Last year was the WORST with 7 months of it---it was a really bad summer last year! I would personally take 9 months of rain, mist, drizzle, gray over hot, humid, totally-depleted-energy any ol' time! And if it really started to "get to me", have a budget for either road or air trips down to CA for a sunbreak. But at the very least, in cool weather I feel alive, productive, functional! In heat, I feel like par-boiled death.

Stick to your plans, and include a big dose of "see for yourself"! And I hope to meet up sometime when we both end up there and are happily thriving, thumbing our noses at the *miserable locals*...who may end up not being so miserable afterall! I've also, in my research, hooked up with several online forums (not here) for the community we want to move to. NICEST PEOPLE EV.ER!!!! I have absolutely no qualms about The Freeze. Nada. (<--that's So. CA-ian speak for "none/nothing")

Last edited by carolochs; 08-24-2017 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 03:06 PM

434 posts, read 352,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsizat View Post
Please don't.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:11 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,472,268 times
Seasonal Affective Disorder is no joke. I lasted 4 years in Seattle. The first year was the "honeymoon" period...we were so busy exploring and enjoying the beautiful scenery that we hardly noticed the rain. The first summer was lovely...but way too short. By the end of the 2nd winter, I wanted to leave. I hung in there 2 more years until I finally told my husband I was leaving, he was welcome to stay, but I was so depressed the thought of having to continue living there was too much to bear. So I left with the kids, he followed 6 months later.

Some people are not affected by the weather, but many are. It IS a serious problem. I tried it all---antidepressants, sun lamps, vitamins, therapy, you name it.

Since moving back to NC in 2016 I have had no more problems with severe depression. Some people really do need the sunlight to feel ok.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:30 PM

361 posts, read 283,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo123go View Post
I moved to seattle from San Diego a few years ago. It was for a job promotion. Seattle looked great in the summer when the company was trying to convince me to come. Although it is nice in summer it is horrible 9 months out of the year.

This is personal opinion and the biggest problem is probably that I came from such a wonderful place. Am just warning people from southern calif.
Funny how you think that all Californians who move up here to Washington State miss the sun back home. I have met some ex-Californians at church and they dislike the hot sun and hot weather back in So Cal. Let alone, the terrible traffic in L.A., the smog, the rude/superficial people down there. If you want to leave, then feel free to leave here. Don't try to impose your experience of not being able to successfully live here, upon others who may find out that Washington is a better place to live.

Quote:
Just warning if you like the sun at all , you will never see it in western Washington. I also am used to friendly people which I don't see up here.
You do see sun here, even during the winter seasons. It's just that it's oddly very cold on the days that the sun is fully shining during the months of December or January. I don't know much, as last winter was my first winter here in Washington. So far, I like it here in western WA. (But prefer to live near the Seattle area rather than Auburn/Puyallup area).

Yeah, I can see what you mean by people aren't really friendly here. I kind of sense that at my workplace and when I shop around this area. People will possibly help you, however, there seems to be some discreet racism down here in my area, which is why I'm not a big fan of living down here. But all in all, I'd take a Seattle-ite/washingtonian anyday over rude/fake people I've encountered in L.A.

Last edited by SunAndRain808; 08-27-2017 at 01:59 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 05:45 PM

3,534 posts, read 4,755,403 times
People here are all whining about the weather and how it makes them depressed and suicidal.

Meanwhile in Houston......

Old 08-30-2017, 06:19 PM

29 posts, read 21,559 times
I have lived in Southern California most of my life (some Northern CA as a kid). Seattle is the best city in the world to me. Washington is the most beautiful state. The weather is perfect. I love cold, gloom, rain, & lack of sun.
And i have suffered depression my entire life. Seattle trips snap me out of any funk. So it's different for everyone.
My hope is to move there next year. I am done with California and everything about it. I want to get old in the actual state I've always wanted to live. I'm just not a fit for CA and have spent far too long there in that endless sunny clear skies depression.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:37 PM

7,120 posts, read 5,822,672 times
City Hunter. It isn't always like that. We've had about 3 months of almost no rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area