Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 22,295 times

Advertisements

I moved to seattle from San Diego a few years ago. It was for a job promotion. Seattle looked great in the summer when the company was trying to convince me to come. Although it is nice in summer it is horrible 9 months out of the year.

This is personal opinion and the biggest problem is probably that I came from such a wonderful place. Am just warning people from southern calif. or other sunny places to not make the same mistake I did. I bought a house at the top of the market and it has had rot and mold issues from the horrible winters. 9 to 10 months out of the year the seattle area is dark, cold , incredibly wet and so depressing. I never experienced depression before, but I had it my first winter here. I am trying to move back, but issues with the house, marriage problems from my depression and job etc making it difficult. it was so bad I had a suicide attempt last winter and if I don't get out before this summer it could happen again. Just warning if you like the sun at all , you will never see it in western Washington. I also am used to friendly people which I don't see up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 03:26 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo123go View Post
Just warning if you like the sun at all , you will never see it in western Washington.
A bit of an exaggeration... winter has a lot of overcast but the rest of the year does not.

We moved to Washington from the desert southwest and I am thrilled to have less solar gain and more moderate climate.

To each their own...

Old 07-22-2013, 03:46 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
I moved here from San Diego in part becuse constantly sunny SoCal was soooooo boring to me, and after two years I don't regret my decision one bit.
And while I do understand that some folks, like the OP, just aren't made for our PNW weather, I think there are several other issues contributing to his depression.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Yes, everyone, please pay attention to what Rambo is saying. There's no reason for any more Southern Californians to move here.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder – Do You Hate Summer?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:01 PM

489 posts, read 964,029 times
How can anyone be surprised by the weather in Seattle, or anywhere in the world for that matter? Forums like this one exist all over the internet for someone to do research for days and find out what it is really like to live in another region.

I understand the culture shock for people from Southern California who just pack and move to Seattle without doing the research. Probably the same amount of culture shock if I packed up my stuff and moved from Seattle to San Diego without doing any research.

-Mike

Old 07-23-2013, 12:16 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
How can anyone be surprised by the weather in Seattle, or anywhere in the world for that matter? Forums like this one exist all over the internet for someone to do research for days and find out what it is really like to live in another region.

I understand the culture shock for people from Southern California who just pack and move to Seattle without doing the research. Probably the same amount of culture shock if I packed up my stuff and moved from Seattle to San Diego without doing any research.

-Mike
I agree with you to an extent. Yes, plenty of information is out there.

However, speaking from personal experience - I grew up in Eastern Washington, and had visited Western Washington many times. Because of that, I thought I knew what I was getting into when I was offered a job over there right out of school. I knew it rained a LOT, and I knew sun was rare in the winter. I thought I was prepared for it.

I moved over there in May, summer was nice, and that first winter (as I found out later) was unusually dry and sunny. At that point, I was happy with the decision I'd made.

It was all downhill from there.

The next winter, we set a record for the most drizzly days in a row (somewhere around 40-45 days) and the lack of sun started to get to me. Time went on, and in the next 4 winters, we experienced two "100 year" floods (not sure how that works), and I certainly started to feel the S.A.D.-related depression. The 2-3 months of nice summer weather was definitely not enough to alleviate the 8-9 months of clouds and drizzle.

I'm not sure I have ever been happier than the day I moved back to the sun and heat and snow and dried-up sagebrush of Eastern Washington.

Western Washington is beautiful in many places and people are very friendly (at least they are in Lewis County), and the climate would be very nice with even 4 or 5 months of summer to make-up for the depressing winter. But it's just not that way.

In short, I think the OP is exaggerating his post due to his own personal bad experience, but I can understand his point-of-view, because a precipitation graph doesn't always tell the whole story.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:59 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,778 times
Quote:
Just warning if you like the sun at all , you will never see it in western Washington. I also am used to friendly people which I don't see up here.

that's BS. I moved from CA to seattle area for like year and a half. I see sun almost every week even in Winter.
I saw light snow and sun light at the sametime this Jan. Snow and not cold, how great is that?

Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 PM

302 posts, read 499,617 times
I personally am looking forward to when I can move to Western Washington. In spite of some people, I still plan to do it. I have my reasons and seems people are not happy and think I am being totally clueless. Don't see how researching over 40-50 towns and gathering all kinds of information from websites and people is not called preparing oneself, but to each his or her own.

Some people think they are suited for a specific type of weather and others are not. Personally, I am not suited to the weather I am forced to deal with right now. I would think at my age, I would know what I can handle.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:22 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,528 times
Quote:
I also am used to friendly people which I don't see up here.

People who are native Seattlites have their circles of friends whom they've most likely known for many years, and it's tough to break into those circles.

Seattle is one of the toughest places to be single.It's easy to get along but making friends is almost impossible. People will say they want to hang out with you sometime and look at you like a freak when you actually suggest something. People enthusiastically say they are coming to a party then don't show up. People are flaky and hard to pin down. Girls lead you on for weeks and snub you with no explanation. People are insincere. Norms of social interaction don't apply here. Most people don't like or dislike you, they're totally indifferent. Every interaction will be maddeningly superficial.

Rather than be outgoing and kind to others, men and women in Seattle have decided that the best way to be friendly is to simply leave people alone to do as they please.
With everyone leaving everyone else alone, it has become unnatural to talk to strangers. Indeed, those that do try to go out of their way and meet someone new are seen as strange and possibly off, and are often tolerated until the moment that the Seattleite has the opportunity to leave.

Any attempt to socialize begins to feel like too much effort some times. when Seattleites say, "Let's do something sometime," what they really mean is: "Let's never do anything ever."

People here have a real hard time telling if someone likes them. When a guy asks a girl out, she can't tell, is this a date or a non-date date? And when a girl is nice back, guys say, does she like me or is she just being nice?

It is like have a nice day but have it some wear else .

been in washington my whole life so i know what i am talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area