Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 01:12 AM

15 posts, read 23,806 times

Advertisements

There is plenty of data online about area schools, but I would like to get a better "feel" for schools from residents who know the real scoop. Feedback on academics, social scene, extracurricular activities, sports, bullying/drugs, etc., for any of the following schools would be greatly appreciated:

Hamilton International Middle School, Eckstein Middle School, The Bush School, Lakeside, St. Joe's, Seattle Prep.

Mahalo!

Last edited by Windwardmom; 07-29-2013 at 02:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 01:09 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwardmom View Post
There is plenty of data online about area schools, but I would like to get a better "feel" for schools from residents who know the real scoop. Feedback on academics, social scene, extracurricular activities, sports, bullying/drugs, etc., for any of the following schools would be greatly appreciated:

Hamilton International Middle School, Eckstein Middle School, The Bush School, Lakeside, St. Joe's, Seattle Prep.

Mahalo!
I can speak for Hamilton. Though my child is in APP I think my comments are indicative of the school in its entirety. The school is quite large and will be close to maximum capacity this coming year. We have had no issues with bullying at all. The PTA is quite active. The community is very friendly. It seems like there is a social group for just about any type of kid. The school has recently been renovated and is gorgeous. I think the principal (new this past year) has done a pretty good job. My child had quite a few teachers this year that were new to the school. There were a few bumps but overall it was a good year. The music program is top notch with 5 orchestras, several bands and a choir. Even beginners can get great concert experience. If you have musical children this choice would be very good. I believe one of the bands won a very prestigious award this year in a competition that included both high schools and middle schools. We looked at Eckstein as well when we were planning our move with steely determination to stay in the city. Its an older facility but has a great vibe. I would have been just as happy to send my child there.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
St. Joe's - high expectations of students, great academics, social justice emphasis ...

Seattle Prep - the same as above, plus a great drama/music program. There are complaints about cliques, but I think that's true with any high school. My two kids who attended had no trouble making friends in a group they were comfortable with.

If you have specific questions about either, just send me a PM.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:18 PM

15 posts, read 23,806 times
Great responses - thank you. I love hearing the positive feedback about Hamilton and Eckstein and will now feel very comfortable sending our kids to either of those schools should we buy in the Laurelhurst/Raveanna/Wallingford area. Even the good public schools are not very strong where we live so I needed to hear some anecdotal evidence about Hamilton and Eckstein.

St. Joe's is definitely on our short list of school applications as we are Catholic and may buy in the Madison/Montlake/Capitol Hill area. Very good to hear that the academics are strong and good citizenship is emphasized. We'll have a few years before HS, but very happy to hear the positive endorsement of Seattle Prep.

Mahalo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area