Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 07:04 PM

225 posts, read 382,874 times

Advertisements

It seems to have a pretty good reputation. The school that my son is scheduled to attend based on address, is Garfield. Are students able to attend different schools... is there an option or choice?

Just curious. He is several years away from High School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Garfield is probably one of the best High Schools in Seattle. Emerging Music program, Great Sports, Good education in th IB program. I'm assuming you just moved here? I few years back Garfield was a dump in the most part of the city but more police came in the area, The City pumped lots of money in the school and redrew the lines so the more affluent kids would go there as well and the school completely turned around! Alot of kids choice into Garfield for Sports and Education. Garfield would be your best bet for schools unless you going to send him to a private school or out of the district to Mercer Island or Bellevue School Districts.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:45 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Emerging music program? Garfield was always been known for their music program, they have had an elite program for a long time, going Nationals for it. There's nothing "emerging" about it.

One thing very well known about Garfield is its elite IB/APP programs that has been producing many many National Merits Scholars for many years, more than any other WA schools. That's why it's got a very elevated status. The problem is, what about the regular students? Especially the poorer ones? My understanding is that if you're a regular student, you're better served at Roosevelt and maybe Ballard HS. I don't know about Center School HS.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:07 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
I'm going to answer your question:
Depending on where you live, there may or not be an available option or choice. To be eligible to attend the Center School, it appears based on SPS geographic zones, that you'd need to live on Queen Anne. Some addresses where Garfield is the assigned school are also eligible to attend NOVA on Capitol Hill as the option. Rumor has it that NOVA is going to relocate back to their old building on East Cherry across the street from Garfield. If that happens, maybe your son will be in their geographic zone even if he is not now.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Emerging music program? Garfield was always been known for their music program, they have had an elite program for a long time, going Nationals for it. There's nothing "emerging" about it.

One thing very well known about Garfield is its elite IB/APP programs that has been producing many many National Merits Scholars for many years, more than any other WA schools. That's why it's got a very elevated status. The problem is, what about the regular students? Especially the poorer ones? My understanding is that if you're a regular student, you're better served at Roosevelt and maybe Ballard HS. I don't know about Center School HS.
Im young so I didn't know that had an extensive history in their music program.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:49 PM

458 posts, read 958,157 times
There are only two official IB programs in Seattle Public Schools...Stealth HS in West Seattle and Ingraham HS. Most of the other high schools in the city offer AP which is quite different from IB but still a great option.

The Center School is known to march to the beat of its own drum...it feels more alternative than a normal public high school but still offers AP courses and is considered to be a rigorous college prep education while being strongly steeped in the arts. I have heard mixed things about it from families who have had kids attend. Some felt it was not structured enough and that unless your student is very self motivated, might not work for a student who needs more traditional structure and guidance.

On the plus side, the classes and overall size of the school are smaller. It is also a choice school meaning that kids from all over the city can attend! There are only 300 or so spots available at the school. What is great is that you can live wherever you want in Seattle and go to school there rather than having to live in the overlay of the particular school you want to attend. It is definitely on my list as a school to look at when my daughter is nearing HS age!

Old 07-31-2013, 04:21 PM

225 posts, read 382,874 times
Default Is there a website or way to tell what the choice schools are?

That way I can do research on my own without bothering you!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:57 PM

456 posts, read 774,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
That way I can do research on my own without bothering you!
Seattle Public Schools - School Directory

There are probably other references on the official site. But just from this list - if it has an attendance area link its a neighborhood school. If the school has a geographic zone instead then its an option school.

Ben

Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
And this:

http://www.seattleschools.org/module...b3635dde91d1d6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area