Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:21 AM

89 posts, read 173,865 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanks everyone for all of the wonderful advice! I will be out and about looking at apartments for rent today!

I think someone above asked what my husband did for employment...he's in Network Security. He's still getting calls for interviews out here even after he's accepted a position. So for those wishing for a move to Seattle from out of state, it can definitely happen and it can happen quickly,lol!!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Also, how is North Beach? We may have found a suitable house Rental with North Beach Elementary School as the elementary.
Thanks!

Old 08-05-2013, 12:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbestcoast View Post
Also, how is North Beach? We may have found a suitable house Rental with North Beach Elementary School as the elementary.
Thanks!
North Beach is great. It's a little "out there" physically, and lacks sidewalks. But it's quiet, and you can be in the heart of Ballard or Greenwood in a few minutes.
And the school has a great reputation.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 PM

38 posts, read 69,469 times
Quote:
Thanks!
In your first post, you mentioned a desire not to be in the suburbs, and so much depends on what you consider suburbs. It's all relative but some might consider large stretches of north Seattle (north of the cut) to be suburban given the lower density than, e.g., Capitol Hill, Belltown, Lower Queen Anne, and South Lake Union. Depending on how you define suburbs -- proximity/walkable to bars and restaurants? sidewalks? lot sizes? etc. -- you might wind up deciding most of Seattle north of 85th is too suburban for your tastes.

Looking at school rankings on sites like Trulia, there are many, many options for good to great schools north of the cut -- you don't need to sacrifice your desire to live a more urban life for good schools in Seattle.

Good luck finding a rental in a hood that you love! I spent five days rental-hunting in May and I am very satisfied with the results.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwing View Post
In your first post, you mentioned a desire not to be in the suburbs, and so much depends on what you consider suburbs. It's all relative but some might consider large stretches of north Seattle (north of the cut) to be suburban given the lower density than, e.g., Capitol Hill, Belltown, Lower Queen Anne, and South Lake Union. Depending on how you define suburbs -- proximity/walkable to bars and restaurants? sidewalks? lot sizes? etc. -- you might wind up deciding most of Seattle north of 85th is too suburban for your tastes.

Looking at school rankings on sites like Trulia, there are many, many options for good to great schools north of the cut -- you don't need to sacrifice your desire to live a more urban life for good schools in Seattle.

Good luck finding a rental in a hood that you love! I spent five days rental-hunting in May and I am very satisfied with the results.
Thanks! We just love the idea of walking to most everything and not being car dependent, so I guess being car dependent to get to the store, shops, restaurants, would be my definition of the suburbs!

Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 PM

38 posts, read 69,469 times
OK, cool. I think you'll find that it's easier to find hoods where lots of that is walkable -- I'm guessing the hardest thing might be a walkable grocery store, though as I say that, I remember that even in Green Lake we can walk to two maybe three grocery stores depending on how long of a walk one is OK with. (PCC on Aurora, Whole Foods on 65th/Roosevelt, and Fred Meyer on 85th/Palatine.)

How are you liking what you're seeing, westcoastbestcoast?

Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
Ravenna or Bryant are great options...we can walk to coffee, food and grocery at University Village. There are also some little independent shopping opportunities, as well. It's pretty central to everything, too. We're 10-15 minutes from downtown, 10-15 to most northern stuff, and an easy 15-minute drive across the 520 if we need to get over to Redmond or Bellevue.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:33 AM

75 posts, read 171,750 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks everyone for all of the wonderful advice! I will be out and about looking at apartments for rent today!

I think someone above asked what my husband did for employment...he's in Network Security. He's still getting calls for interviews out here even after he's accepted a position. So for those wishing for a move to Seattle from out of state, it can definitely happen and it can happen quickly,lol!!

Thanks again!
I read your post and this is encouraging to see. May I ask how you and your husband went about your job search and getting your resume seen? I found replying to posts from job boards to be really hit and miss. But when I start looking I'd like to do it in a way that would increase my chances of getting hired.

P.S. I work in IT as well, Infrastructure, storage and Unix systems

Old 08-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwing View Post
OK, cool. I think you'll find that it's easier to find hoods where lots of that is walkable -- I'm guessing the hardest thing might be a walkable grocery store, though as I say that, I remember that even in Green Lake we can walk to two maybe three grocery stores depending on how long of a walk one is OK with. (PCC on Aurora, Whole Foods on 65th/Roosevelt, and Fred Meyer on 85th/Palatine.)

How are you liking what you're seeing, westcoastbestcoast?

It's hard to nail down an area, because we seem to be loving all the areas around here,lol! We are looking at schools to help us decide our final location! Thanks for all of the great advice, it's been very helpful

Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshwon View Post
I read your post and this is encouraging to see. May I ask how you and your husband went about your job search and getting your resume seen? I found replying to posts from job boards to be really hit and miss. But when I start looking I'd like to do it in a way that would increase my chances of getting hired.

P.S. I work in IT as well, Infrastructure, storage and Unix systems
Posting his resume on all the job boards seemed to do the trick and applying individually to positions he was interested in. Good luck and it is possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area