Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 04:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,644,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
If it were possible to award this post more than one reputation point, I would.
Totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 05:24 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,560,956 times
He's your typical PNW apologist with a chip on his shoulder. I used to read all about it in the Portland forum.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:04 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,464,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
He's your typical PNW apologist with a chip on his shoulder. I used to read all about it in the Portland forum.
Ha ha ha... You're probably right! But apparently, I might not be the one with the biggest chip on my shoulder....

Old 10-26-2013, 06:16 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,472,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I'm sort of tired of the Pacific Northwest being the dumping ground for malcontents who couldn't make it work on the East Coast. If you want New York, you can only find it in New York. No where else in the US compares to New York in terms of urban environment and amenities(it's competing with places in Europe with it's scale). Stay there and enjoy the pizza and bagels and the diverse offerings that you'll complain about the lack of if you move west. And if you're from the South and want an upscale black-only scene with hopping night clubs that close at 4 am, you might want to stay in Atlanta or go somewhere else in the South--what you're looking for doesn't really exist in Seattle on that level. It's just a different place out here with a different history. But, I mean there's got to be plenty of jobs on the East Coast for these folks somewhere, why are you moving somewhere you know you won't truly like?

Otherwise move out to the NW, but only if you love it or are willing to adapt on some levels. Just realize that yes, it's grey and rainy and dark for much of the year and it's fairly white and probably not as diverse as the city you imagined you used to live. And no you can't drive to Cleveland or Baltimore in the same distance from where you used to live. And yup, a lot of people in western cities tend to be pretty liberal and sort of weird and lot of people outside the cities are good ol' boy rednecks, and a lot of us like to do stupid things like climb mountains and go hiking and fishing and skiing rather than dressing to the nines to go to a nightclub. And people can be fairly reserved and sometimes come off as cold and they're not the colorful and opinionated East Coast stereotypes that apparently make friendly small talk everywhere you go.

All the same there's exceptions to every rule--and living somewhere for one reason or another, some people find a balance between what they want in a city for amenities and other stuff they're looking for(jobs, housing, etc.) . And for all the talk of how white it is out here, I ended up with a diverse group of friends and connections in fricking Portland of all places. And yeah, it is grey and rainy much of the year--in an awesomely dreary and sort of moody way, and the summers are great and occasionally we get some random sunshine and dry weather in the middle of February. But, I mean are the stereotypes of the Pacific Northwest not clear enough for some people? I mean should we play up the clichés even more so transplants aren't disappointed?

There's far too many reactives on these boards and not enough adaptives. Or people appear to be reading some magical tourist brochure about a place that I never knew existed(where apparently Seattle advertises how diverse and sunny it is and how great the nightlife is). And it's common to a lot of places on here as a cursory scroll of the city forums will show. It's fine to be critical of anywhere to some degree but at a certain point it just comes off as whiny.
I'm from the East Coast, and I approve this message.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:55 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,560,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Ha ha ha... You're probably right! But apparently, I might not be the one with the biggest chip on my shoulder....
I'm fine thanks.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:48 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,516,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlee007 View Post
I'm an immigrant who moved to the US in 2003. I've only been here in Seattle area and other than that, I've traveled to Vancouver BC, Vegas and Portland, so there are little for me to compare. I'm currently living in Kent and before that I've lived in Bellevue. But I do have a list of problems here and I think these problems probably exist to a lesser extent in other cities. Correct me if I'm wrong.

a. Bullying problem and drama kings/queens. Ok, I have to say this. People in Seattle seem to have a tendency to put others down whenever they find someone who's mild-tempered. I don't get what they're trying to prove sometimes. From what I've heard and told, people in other cities are more survival and they usually don't got time to bully or start ****. Work bully is quite a serious issues from all the jobs I've held. I've also been bullied myself. Whenever they see you're new in the field you work or you're mild tempered, they'll start all sort of bs with you.

b. Seattle got a sizable Asian population. This is something I've noticed and I'm Asian myself...despite such a large Asian population, Asians here doesn't seem to stand up for themselves. There are many incidents where Asians are ostracized, bullied, discriminated, isolated, sexualized...the list goes on. Seeing how many rice dolls/trophy wives around here. I've had several verbal and physical conflicts in the past because they kinda giving me bs because of my race. I've even got called a ch1nk once. Now when you go to Vancouver BC, which is another Asian center in North America, you don't see such hostility towards Asians. Can't speak for other Asians, but personally I'm trying to be friend to everyone but I find it difficult.

c. Like some other members have said and I fully agree. Seattle seems like a giant suburbs. There are little night life. I guess this might have explained a. People are bored, so they resort to alcohol, hard drug and the type of bullying behavior I've mentioned. Wondering why there are so many crackheads and meth heads in this area? Because they're bored.

d. Also like branh0913 have mentioned, this place is more for married people. It's difficult for singles to meet people here. You move here either with your significant others or your family or your parents...etc, as it's gonna be tough out there. Even though work environment here ****ing sucks, you do not want to be out of work as it's hard to build networks here. Like someone else has suggested...before anyone moved here, I highly recommend you to travel here MULTIPLE times to NETWORK for both jobs and social life. Once you lose your jobs or out of cash, it can be extremely difficult to climb back up as it's just hard to do without a good network.

e. This one should be a sub-section for a as I think it contributes a great part to it. There is this weird anti-establishment, counter culture scene in the air. Ok, I'm not a 100 percent law abiding citizen myself and I don't like people who blindly following authority neither, but I wouldn't praise or cheer when I see some stranger got their ass beat on the street and thinking that's "gangsta" or "hardcore" or whatever. That's not only cruel, but rather childish thing to do I mean really. The amount of gangsta wannabe and redneck wannabe are tremendous (no joke, redneck wannabe. Who does that outside of Seattle and its outlying suburbs.).

To sum it up, people in this area needs to grow up. And they need to build more city infrastructures and less suburbs. The whole no alcohol in strip club thing doesn't do anything to help the crimes.
Your experience is so completely different than mine that I honestly don't evenunderstand what you are talking about. Maybe because we are in two very different demographic groups?

Old 10-27-2013, 02:40 AM

415 posts, read 488,741 times
I'd trade twice the rain for half the traffic.

Who's with me?

Old 10-27-2013, 03:33 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,805,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treuphax View Post
I'd trade twice the rain for half the traffic.

Who's with me?
I say aye! Watch out you may get half your wish, at least the rain part..

Old 10-27-2013, 05:04 AM

30 posts, read 81,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Your experience is so completely different than mine that I honestly don't evenunderstand what you are talking about. Maybe because we are in two very different demographic groups?
I don't blame you. I don't know you nor anything about your life. If I know what job you work, your ethnicity, parts of Seattle you live, your upbringing, then maybe I can say something.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:14 AM

305 posts, read 448,986 times
You know what the worst thing about Seattle is? I have a bunch of friends who live there and get miserable, year after year, being stuck there over the holidays. They always talk a big game about flying home for the holidays or going somewhere more cheerful for Christmas, yet every year they get stuck in complacent mode and don't make any attempt to solidify plans or purchase a plane ticket until the last moment, when the tickets are like $1,000 and no longer affordable. Then they sit there in that wet, morose town doing nothing except feeling bad for themselves and getting drunk. I swear, the only thing that town gives anyone the motivation to do is stumble down to the local bar and try to drink away the misery. Other than that, they just curl up into this little isolated ball of lethargy and pity and never do anything to improve their situations. Grrr... venting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area