Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 09:49 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times

Advertisements

This list reads as if it could be compiled by certain posters here about Seattle: Top ten expat complaints to their Swedish partners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:58 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Suffered a bad breakup or were just quite unpopular within Seattle, were you?
Yup, sounds like poor DP was either jilted, or fired ... or maybe a big 5th grader stole his lunch money.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 PM

133 posts, read 253,026 times
Default Yes, I've suffered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Suffered a bad breakup or were just quite unpopular within Seattle, were you?
Thanks for caring. In Seattle I was perceived as an iphone thief rapist criminal too often. It was unhealthy for my psyche so I recently left WA. But the pain lingers. Seattle is the only place that hurt me: my feelings, my finances, my career. Just an all-around damn tragedy; cried on my way to the airport. Brutal. City-data has been helpful in my recovery but hopefully I can move on with life in a new happier city.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:53 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post
Thanks for caring. In Seattle I was perceived as an iphone thief rapist criminal too often. It was unhealthy for my psyche so I recently left WA. But the pain lingers. Seattle is the only place that hurt me: my feelings, my finances, my career. Just an all-around damn tragedy; cried on my way to the airport. Brutal. City-data has been helpful in my recovery but hopefully I can move on with life in a new happier city.
Good luck.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 PM

Default Coo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Good luck.
Thank you.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post
Thank you.
where?

Old 10-28-2013, 08:16 PM

Default The Opposite of WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
where?
Terrible Indiana. State of my birth but I don't share its values. Family have been very supportive but I hate being here. Why is happiness so hard to find? We all deserve it!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
Wow, all these posts complaining about how people behave here. My complaint isn't the people but how hard it is to meet them. I am probably another one of those annoying liberal types (to an extent), slightly passive aggressive, and yadda yadda and the people I have met here are people I could probably get along with greatly. But none of those people are interested in forming new friendships/relationships or expanding their networks. Or they complain about not wanting to walk or drive to meet me when the weather gets crappy in the winter. They are content with their small college alumni friends, their small pool of co-workers, or just hanging out with their boyfriend/girlfriend and don't seem interested in adding new people to the mix. This is really unfortunate. I know it's all about the Seattle Freeze, but you'd think that when people are genuinely laughing and having a good time (and yes, you can tell when it's genuine) that they'd want to see you again. I'm not talking about dating but making friends. And this has nothing to do with the upbringing of Seattlites, as most of these people I'm encountering are transplants like me. I really do think a lot of these people WOULD hang out with me more often if the weather wasn't dark and gloomy most of the time. It just makes people antisocial and lazy. The weather doesn't bother me and I never get SADD, but it sucks for me that others get it.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Wow, all these posts complaining about how people behave here. My complaint isn't the people but how hard it is to meet them. I am probably another one of those annoying liberal types (to an extent), slightly passive aggressive, and yadda yadda and the people I have met here are people I could probably get along with greatly. But none of those people are interested in forming new friendships/relationships or expanding their networks. Or they complain about not wanting to walk or drive to meet me when the weather gets crappy in the winter. They are content with their small college alumni friends, their small pool of co-workers, or just hanging out with their boyfriend/girlfriend and don't seem interested in adding new people to the mix. This is really unfortunate. I know it's all about the Seattle Freeze, but you'd think that when people are genuinely laughing and having a good time (and yes, you can tell when it's genuine) that they'd want to see you again. I'm not talking about dating but making friends. And this has nothing to do with the upbringing of Seattlites, as most of these people I'm encountering are transplants like me. I really do think a lot of these people WOULD hang out with me more often if the weather wasn't dark and gloomy most of the time. It just makes people antisocial and lazy. The weather doesn't bother me and I never get SADD, but it sucks for me that others get it.

Sounds like you need to expand your horizons. It's probably not that people don't want to meet you, but moreso the type of people you're trying to meet. Some crowds, hangouts, and circles are more pretentious than others. Seattle is ripe with them. But you'll generally find it in plenty of cities. Not sure who you try to hang out with and talk to, but for the most part if you're trying to keep up with the scenster and hipster crowd, prepared to be disappointed. The whole basis of such scenes are pretentious and shallow, so don't be shocked if you don't have amazing life long friends that come from those circle.

I actually never had issues making friends in Seattle. I certainly could always hang out and run into someone who would chat it up with me. I think my key to happiness were from my hobbies though. When I first came to Seattle, I was a competitive Street Fighter player. I use to go to the arcade, and met a lot of people from there. Since it's a national scene, I knew people from the East Coast already who people from Seattle were aware of. But then with job demands, I dropped that hobby, and picked up pool. Met a lot of people from that bar, a FEW were sad when I left Seattle. Just a few.

Again, it all depends on who you choose to want to hang around. For me, I can hang around anybody. Majority of my friends weren't even from Seattle. I dated one girl from Tacoma, and another from Burien. Majority of the people I met in the social scene were based in Bellevue. It only too under 2 times hanging out in Seattle that it's social scene would annoy me. Generally liked the more upscale feel of Bellevue, as it reminded me of places back East.

I also chat it up with anyone. I find just normal people with regular lives far more interesting that the more liberal than thou hipsters you run into in Seattle proper. So the people I met may be boring to someone like you, but I found some decent people in my time in Seattle. I think majority of my complaint was just the people in Seattle as I made my way through the city. Very annoying, finicky, sensitive, flaky, fake, etc. But I made friends with IT people, cab drivers, accountants, mail men, Reiki Masters (long story), scam business women (another long story), section 8 single mothers, you name it. But I like people, so I find something interesting about anyone, no matter what walk of life they come from.

You may be a lot less lonely if you probably tried to make friends with normal people. A lot of times older people are more interesting, more experience, and interesting stories to tell.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:59 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Sounds like you need to expand your horizons. It's probably not that people don't want to meet you, but moreso the type of people you're trying to meet. Some crowds, hangouts, and circles are more pretentious than others. Seattle is ripe with them. But you'll generally find it in plenty of cities. Not sure who you try to hang out with and talk to, but for the most part if you're trying to keep up with the scenster and hipster crowd, prepared to be disappointed. The whole basis of such scenes are pretentious and shallow, so don't be shocked if you don't have amazing life long friends that come from those circle.

I actually never had issues making friends in Seattle. I certainly could always hang out and run into someone who would chat it up with me. I think my key to happiness were from my hobbies though. When I first came to Seattle, I was a competitive Street Fighter player. I use to go to the arcade, and met a lot of people from there. Since it's a national scene, I knew people from the East Coast already who people from Seattle were aware of. But then with job demands, I dropped that hobby, and picked up pool. Met a lot of people from that bar, a FEW were sad when I left Seattle. Just a few.

Again, it all depends on who you choose to want to hang around. For me, I can hang around anybody. Majority of my friends weren't even from Seattle. I dated one girl from Tacoma, and another from Burien. Majority of the people I met in the social scene were based in Bellevue. It only too under 2 times hanging out in Seattle that it's social scene would annoy me. Generally liked the more upscale feel of Bellevue, as it reminded me of places back East.

I also chat it up with anyone. I find just normal people with regular lives far more interesting that the more liberal than thou hipsters you run into in Seattle proper. So the people I met may be boring to someone like you, but I found some decent people in my time in Seattle. I think majority of my complaint was just the people in Seattle as I made my way through the city. Very annoying, finicky, sensitive, flaky, fake, etc. But I made friends with IT people, cab drivers, accountants, mail men, Reiki Masters (long story), scam business women (another long story), section 8 single mothers, you name it. But I like people, so I find something interesting about anyone, no matter what walk of life they come from.

You may be a lot less lonely if you probably tried to make friends with normal people. A lot of times older people are more interesting, more experience, and interesting stories to tell.

Great post.. Seattle is a cold and unfriendly place, but even in the worst of places there are friends to be made and people eager to meet others.. Seattle is a city of lonely souls and cooler/hipper-than-thou liberal types. However, if you are willing to open yourself to meeting different types of people, some that you may never have thought you could befriend, you may find some deeper friendships lie than in the places you thought you would have made friends. I find a lot of those cool, hip, so-called free-thinking liberal types to be some of the most conceited, self-righteous, arrogant , cold and unfriendly people I have come across in Seattle. Actually, I find that I am meeting more friendly , open-minded people at meetup groups in the Eastside than in Seattle. I am a man of many cultures and I am not afraid to meet people who may not conform to what society deems is acceptable, but who may be kind and righteous people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area