Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
That has nothing to do with what 509 said. Where people are moving to is irrelevant to where they spend their weekends. Anyone who's had the misfortune to drive westbound over any east/west pass on Sunday afternoon knows visiting the east side is hugely popular with the urbanites who complain about eastern WA all the time.

But who can blame them for wanting to escape the Seattle cesspool any chance they get.
I don't travel to escape the so-called Seattle cesspool. I travel because it's fun to go places.

Ultimately, east, west, home is best, and Seattle is my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 09:35 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
I can understand your complaint about Seattle being bland or lacking a soul, but Portland? The only character I see there are deadbeat European-American kids (usually living off their parents' money) who decided to retiree before age 30 and make an art form/statement out of it. Capitol Hill and North Seattle's response to this is the hard-working European-American who lives off minimum wage and wants the whole world to know it, as if being poor and white is a phenomenon that should be applauded. Like this never happens anywhere else in the country. lol OKAY.

Pretty much everything that Portland and Seattle try to make a big deal out of or iconocize has already been in practice by blue collar whites in the Midwest for years. I am from the Rust Belt and after living in Seattle and working in Portland, I have the impression that the current "social movement" or vibe in the Pac NW is a pitiful attempt at recreating and glorifying the Midwest. But because of the big money and international attention, there is less humility, more attention-craving, and more of a sense of entitlement amongst transplants (and some natives) in the Pac NW. Can't tell you how many times I've either heard people explicitly say or at least demonstrate that they feel like they have the right to be here...and you don't. Like it's some kind of god-given birthright for them to live on the Pacific Northwestern lands, but why do YOU feel like you deserve to be here?

The natural scenery and climate of Seattle is amongst the nation's best, but the civilization that's been created in the city is very, very f****d up IMO. The concept may have started out gracefully, but the population and too many different subcultures and socioeconomic classes attempting (or not attempting) to coexist is what's caused it to become a mess.

I think the Portland vibe and culture is evidenced by their many New Age venues and artisan crafts and creative eateries and shops. Haven't you heard the slogan "keep Portland weird"? It is funky and fun there. I like the film fests at the Hollywood Theater.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:39 PM

23 posts, read 48,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post

I am still single and I have an interview for a job in Seattle. I'm thinking of coming back just because I love the climate and food so much and quite frankly (or sadly), there's nowhere else in this country that really interests me anymore. And there are more single men in Seattle than where I am now or my hometown. But believe me, if I find a Seattle husband and decide to have kids I will drag him back to my hometown in the Midwest. It's not just the COL in Seattle that scares me, I wouldn't want to raise a kid in any of those areas. .
There's a *lot* of Seattle from what I've seen, though, and meth addiction is just as big a problem in the Midwest as it is on the West Coast. In rural areas of the Midwest it can be even worse...

Old 10-25-2019, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 463 times
It won't work. They keep coming!

Old 10-26-2019, 07:57 PM

34 posts, read 20,178 times
It's cartoonishly judgemental, two-faced (reject toxic masculinity! why are all the men "beta males?" where are the "real men?" "reject gender roles...why aren't men asking me out so I can #metoo them?"), insular and cliquish, and the people, some of them, pretend it's as friendly as elsewhere as they attack you personally for talking about the generalized behavior of some hundreds of thousands/millions of people. Irony apparently isn't dead. It's dark and cold in the winter, but doesn't really rain as much as it could to be that comfortable dark thundery rain day people imagine it would be, it's increasingly money and status obsessed, but insists it's down to earth, and nothing about it is really honest or open but some people get along anyway and they love to shove that in everyone's face while talking about love, kindness, and all of the good amazing progressive intelligent things they are. I know some amazing people who have lived here for forty years and never got a date, and I'm not going to be one of them. I will never forgive the people of Seattle, or liberal progressive ideology, for the years I lost in the beautiful hellhole. I was too superficial, like them, to admit I fell for her beauty. Seattle is a beautiful, abusive, cold, backstabbing woman. I'll have nightmares about her beauty. Over and out.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:34 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,707,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfandhalfandaquarter View Post
It's cartoonishly judgemental, two-faced (reject toxic masculinity! why are all the men "beta males?" where are the "real men?" "reject gender roles...why aren't men asking me out so I can #metoo them?"), insular and cliquish, and the people, some of them, pretend it's as friendly as elsewhere as they attack you personally for talking about the generalized behavior of some hundreds of thousands/millions of people. Irony apparently isn't dead. It's dark and cold in the winter, but doesn't really rain as much as it could to be that comfortable dark thundery rain day people imagine it would be, it's increasingly money and status obsessed, but insists it's down to earth, and nothing about it is really honest or open but some people get along anyway and they love to shove that in everyone's face while talking about love, kindness, and all of the good amazing progressive intelligent things they are. I know some amazing people who have lived here for forty years and never got a date, and I'm not going to be one of them. I will never forgive the people of Seattle, or liberal progressive ideology, for the years I lost in the beautiful hellhole. I was too superficial, like them, to admit I fell for her beauty. Seattle is a beautiful, abusive, cold, backstabbing woman. I'll have nightmares about her beauty. Over and out.
Happy Trails!!!

Old 10-27-2019, 01:21 PM

34 posts, read 20,178 times
There's that passive aggressive Seattle two-faced nonsense. Couldn't hold back could you?

My favorite part about Seattle is it taught me that liberalism is a pipe dream and everyone secretly wants to be better than everyone else, using whatever justification is convenient, while talking about equality.

So I'm thankful. I made a ton investing during this time and I don't have to pay your taxes, put up with the fake "I'm better than you" nonsense justified by nothing, and all of the endless hypocritical bull**** that makes up such a nasty cold dirty place.

And it is trashy, and dirty

That was the big thing that surprised me about Seattle -- so much affluence for what amounts to hick and ghetto behavior. Can't buy class, can you? But you sure can buy a house and a Bentley to park on the street.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:58 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,097,773 times
The traffic, how crowded it is, the cost of living is enormously expensive.

I know all big cities have lots of traffic but I thought the traffic in Detroit was a breeze compared to Seattle.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:22 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,989,995 times
The main thing I don't love is the lack of a defined local culture or identity. It feels like Seattle's trying to be simultaneously professional and fun, gritty and clean, urban and tranquil, nerdy and fashionable, and that all blends into a very generic, transplant-friendly culture. I never seem to run into people who live and breathe Seattle, have multiple generations of family here, have Hawks and Huskies logos on everything they own, and can't imagine themselves living anywhere else. Maybe they're out there, but I never see them.

You will know within ten seconds if someone's from New York or Chicago or Boston or Texas or California, and they will be very defensive of where they grew up and feel a strong emotional attachment to it. I don't think most Seattleites really care that they're from here, even if they can say "oh, I love the Pacific NW because of all the nature/mountains/skiing/whatever".

Old 10-28-2019, 02:39 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Nothing yet. More consistent snow fall would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area