U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:08 PM

5,075 posts, read 9,872,235 times

Advertisements

Apparently our neighbor has stopped letting his adult son in the house even to use the restroom. Unfortunately, this means he's 'doing his business' the way a dog does - right in the yard. The smell is starting to get pretty bad, as it's wafting into our front yard when the weather is warm, and he likes to pee right next to the fence that separates his yard from our driveway.

It doesn't seem like this would be legal, but I can't find any info on the seattle city website that specifically addresses this. He's "supposed" to be going to a neighbors house or using a porta-potty at a construction site a few blocks away, but we hear him and smell it, so obviously that's not the only place he's going.

Anyone know what the regulations are on this? The guy is living in an unlicensed RV with no utilities or sewer hookup. And yes, I've spoken to the property owner about this but he says he's "working on it" - but it continues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 07:15 PM

7,750 posts, read 14,640,317 times
Have you called the cops on their non-emergency line? They should be able to direct you to resource information that you would need.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:16 PM

9,368 posts, read 23,924,537 times
Code enforcement and the health department.

How long has he been living in the RV?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Have you called the cops on their non-emergency line? They should be able to direct you to resource information that you would need.
I'll do that. Figured we'd be calling them about something anyway since we talk to them every few days as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Code enforcement and the health department.

How long has he been living in the RV?
Off and on for 10 months, but the "not allowed inside even to use the restroom" just started about a week ago.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:35 PM

21,212 posts, read 13,667,221 times
I know it must be terrible as a neighbor but I bet the dad is desperately miserable too. That's a no win situation he's got there.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I know it must be terrible as a neighbor but I bet the dad is desperately miserable too. That's a no win situation he's got there.
Yep, it's pretty bad all around. It's just that a lot of what should be private family problems are falling on us simply because we're next door.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:42 PM

3,698 posts, read 10,752,767 times
It's probably illegal if he's living in it and the property is zoned for single family. Call code enforcement at (206) 615-0808 or file a complain at DPD Complaint Form

It's also against the law for the RV to be parked anywhere but in a driveway, or in the back yard at least 10 feet from the property line.

It's also illegal for him to be peeing on the fence, most likely. Urinating in public is against the law, and the definition of public is ""Public place" is an area generally visible to public view and includes streets, sidewalks, bridges, alleys, plazas, parks, driveways, parking lots, automobiles (whether moving or not), and buildings open to the general public including those which serve food or drink, or provide entertainment, and the doorways and entrances to buildings or dwellings and the grounds enclosing them."

Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 PM

21,212 posts, read 13,667,221 times
Yes and it would seem this would be some kind of Social Services thing but probably not, more police related.

Curious - you're always talking about local real estate, if you sell, where would you buy?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:51 PM

9,368 posts, read 23,924,537 times
Sounds awful. I'm sure the parents will welcome intervention by the city/county government. They didn't ban him from the house BC he's a wonderful guy.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Yes and it would seem this would be some kind of Social Services thing but probably not, more police related.

Curious - you're always talking about local real estate, if you sell, where would you buy?
We could stay in the same neighborhood, but I think the upper parts of Ballard, either Loyal Heights, Whittier heights or Sunset Hill would be our first choice. The main compromise we had to make on this house was that the neighborhood isn't as walkable as we'd like. Obviously we never thought we'd end up buying next to a crazy meth freak in an otherwise quiet, low crime neighborhood.

Of all the friends and family we've talked to about the situation, nobody has dealt with anything quite this disruptive or bizarre.

Another neighbor mentioned she has "neighbor problems" as well - apparently they complained that her TV was visible from their living room. I wish I had her problems!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area