Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 932 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I live in a relatively small apartment complex. I noticed about 2 weeks ago that the front door was not locking. It has a key code you enter to unlock the door, but without entering the code the door was just opening freely. I reported this to the property manager via an online form and also called and left a message at their office. I never heard back, but eventually the door was fixed (not sure exactly when).

A week ago, I went to my storage locker (which I rent from the building for additional money). A major theft that occurred - locks were broken or missing, and the place had been sacked. I lost upwards of $500 worth of backpacking gear.

I reported this to the police and also to the property manager. Many of my neighbors have done the same. Is the property manager liable/responsible for our lost property? (Does the front door not locking play into this?) I do not, unfortunately, have renter's insurance.

And/all advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 03:52 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,325 times
Sorry to hear this happened.

Pretty sure you would need to file a renters insurance claim to have a sure/good chance of receiving compensation for your losses. Most landlords require renters to have it (does yours not?).

Generally speaking, I'm pretty sure the property management company/landlord can not be held liable for any losses, unless you can prove they were involved/responsible. You might want to get ahold of the tenants union about the door locks to see if that would come into play or not (may be considered negligence on their end, but not sure/sure on where to go from there).

Last edited by Flightoficarus87; 07-18-2018 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 04:12 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
A case for renter's insurance. Why in the world don't you have it? Get on that now.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 932 times
My landlord never mentioned anything about renters insurance - and now its too late! I feel like an idiot, but please, is there anything I can do at this point?

Old 07-18-2018, 06:57 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Get renters' insurance.

Is this building in some kind of marginal neighborhood, or something? That's really too bad, OP, but the management should do a better job about keeping the building secure. IDK if there's anything they can do about the storage lockers, if they're not in an area secured by a door that locks. Anyone can bring bolt cutters in the middle of the night, and rob storage lockers. That's not due to any negligence on management's part.

Sounds like you were negligent, in not insuring your stuff. Sadder, but wiser...

Old 07-18-2018, 11:41 PM

320 posts, read 512,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adunn96 View Post
My landlord never mentioned anything about renters insurance - and now its too late! I feel like an idiot, but please, is there anything I can do at this point?

You can sue your landlord, which may or may not result in you getting a judgement against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area