Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 03:56 PM

277 posts, read 1,298,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger865 View Post
My opinion, but mentioning shopping at South Center Mall is not attractive. How many shootings have they had there...3+ last year, how many auto thefts?? The mall itself is small but pretty but the people that frequent it, are another story.
small but pretty?! Southcenter??!

Southcenter is so ghetto right now. Lots of closed shops, some remo going on but all in all it's a sad place. Tigger is right. But, there are plenty of other places to shop in the south end. It's not like SC is your only choice. What about the Supermall in Auburn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 05:50 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
small but pretty?! Southcenter??!

Southcenter is so ghetto right now. Lots of closed shops, some remo going on but all in all it's a sad place. Tigger is right. But, there are plenty of other places to shop in the south end. It's not like SC is your only choice. What about the Supermall in Auburn?
Well, having run a car wash in a real bad part of town for 4 years when I was younger (chasing our hookers and junkies from the bathrooms) let me say that there is nothing "ghetto" about Southcenter. While the mall is pretty quiet right now, that's almost entirely due to the massive renovation going on. Prior to that starting the place was generally packed (I know, I'm in the area several times a week) - and will be once again when the remodeling is done. Certainly the long stretch of shopping centers along Southcenter Parkway are pretty much packed most of the time even now - and in fact, have probably been helped by the awkwardness of getting in to and out of the mall construction zone. They certainly seem to be building more and more shopping along there.

One consideration about Tukwila and crime. While Tukwila does have a higher crime rate than the other cities around it, you have to keep in mind that the crime rate is determined by comparing the number of crimes to the number of RESIDENTS - and although Tukwila has lots and lots of daily visitors because of all the retail there, the number of residents is fairly small. Many of the crimes however are neither committed by residents nor committed against residents - but rather are committed against shoppers (mostly from outside of Tukwila) by criminals who are drawn into the area by all the shoppers but who do not necessarily reside there - and yet these crimes by outsiders against outsiders are logged against Tukwila's statistics. So, the number of crimes/resident is high - but ito a large degree because the number of residents is so very small. It's likely that no other city in Washington State draws as many shopper while having such a small population. It's a pretty good bet that the number of shoppers drawn to Southcenter (not just the mall itself, but then entire shopping area) is several times the number of residents. So, in spite of what the statistics may indicate, it is not an unsafe area. I'm there frequently and have NEVER felt the slightest bit threatened - even late at night.

Regarding the so-called Supermall - in my experience that place is almost always dead and in no way, shape or form comparable to the Southcenter area. Even leaving aside the difference in the malls themselves (which is considerable), there's nothing else around the Supermall - certainly nothing like the retail found down along Southcenter Blvd.

That's my take anyway,

Ken

Old 11-18-2007, 12:09 PM

209 posts, read 820,336 times
If you are working at E. Marginal Way, look at buying a home in West Seattle. You will encounter NO traffic going to/from work, save on gas and West Seattle is a wonderful community. Expect to pay in the 4-500,000 for an older home, 5-600,000 for newer. Property taxes are very reasonable about $3,500 on a home in the 550 range, and there are no state income taxes here.

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffinz View Post
My wife, 7 year old daughter and I may be moving to the Seattle area. I believe my work will be off of E. Marginal Way or in Renton. Currently, we live in Philadelphia area and have a rather modest 4 bedroom house ($216,000). I am concerned about schooling, as well as finding a neighborhood and not a bunch of housing developments in search of a Wal Mart.

I have suffered from a 4 hour commute to Central Jersey and I have enjoyed my "commute" walk across Boston Common. I would like to have a short commute.

We do enjoy a diverse environment and are willing to invest in neighborhoods improving. I have heard about areas such as Columbia City, Ranier Beach, and Beacon Hill. The people whom interviewed me lived in Kent and Auburn.

I am open to ideas, but as I doubt I would be making $100K a year, I don't think I can afford the Bellevue, Redmonds, or Madison Park/Seward Park areas.

Sort of wondering what's a poor middle class person to do who wants to find a spot close to work and a good school to put their child into.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 AM

84 posts, read 180,708 times
Sorry let me clarify, about small but pretty(Southcenter). The only part of Southcenter I have frequented (maybe 2x/yr) is the Talbots/Rainforest Cafe end...the rest I had no interest in.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:51 AM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
Southcenter was expanding the last time I was over there. The mall is eating up a huge chunk of parking lot.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:58 PM

9 posts, read 33,767 times
Smile I appreciate all that you have stated.

I will be traveling out to Seattle from Jan 1st to the 10th for house hunting adventure.

I will be working in Renton. I am wary of folks whom sing the praises of Kent. The areas in Kent that I can afford appear to not have the better schools in Kent.

We have narrowed some of inputs and you can provide some assistance to me as well on these. As I mentioned, my previous trips to Seattle were for personal travel and interest. I don't think too many folks go to the Nordic Heritage Museum for happy hour. Psst... our daughter participates in the American Swedish Museum's St. Lucia festival here in Philadelphia...

Based upon the Greatschools.net site, we have narrowed things down as well as from Realtor.com. Thus, these quantifiable sites may need some grounding in the transition and changes. The order does not set a ranking.

Federal Way/ Redondo Beach- Decent schools, close to Temple, about 30 minutes (per map quest) from Renton. Des Moines, where Temple is, "appears" to actually be a town with owner occupied stores.

West Seattle (slums of Alki ) Trying to be in the Alki, Schmitz, Lafayette, or Gateway school boundaries. There appear to be some more reasonable housing in the Highland Park area, but the school doesn't appear to be very good. Some parts of West Seattle appear to be a town as well.

Zip Code 98422 (AKA Brown's Point/Crescent Heights Tacoma)- Good School, some reasonable housing, appears to be about a 30 minute commute from Renton per Mapquest. Understand it may mean I get to experience I-5 or Hwy 99.

Maple Valley- appears to be the town that Renton Boeing's built. Not sure i want to live in that type of town. Seems to be schlep to get to anywhere. There is life after aerospace. Has excellent schools.

Issaquah- Appears to be a town, has some reasonable priced condos, and some good schools. I fear the 405 almost as much as I-5. Appears to be an easy commute to downtown Seattle.

Other towns considered, but insufficient info- Burien. I know only about the challenges the Highline school district faces; Puyallup- my wife won't live in a town she can't pronounce; Auburn- not really into a bunch of housing developments in search of the nearest SuperCenter.

I would like an area where walking in not a foreign concept except to get from the parking lot to the stores. (Yes, I know Federal Way is lacking in this concept).

We still like to do things such as go to see baseball... arts, etc. Go Red Sox... and T-Birds. (one of the best hockey games I saw was at the Tacoma Dome between the T-Birds and the Tacoma teams- It appeared to carry the same emotion as the Cubs/ White Sox, Red Sox/ Yankees, or dare I say a OU vs UW game).

Thanks for your insight.

Jim

Old 12-10-2007, 10:01 PM

305 posts, read 1,609,694 times
Jim, I am happy to report, that though a short drive, Pacific Lutheran University (PLU - Pacific Lutheran University, academically rigorous liberal arts combined with professional programs, located in Tacoma, Washington, USA.) has a Scandinavian cultural center and does have a Santa Lucia festival each year. Ballard and Gig Harbor have good heritage as well.

The Tacoma Raniers (Tacoma Rainiers: Home) minor league baseball games are a lot of fun, as are the Everett "Aquasox" (Everett AquaSox - "Tomorrow's Mariners, Today's Fun!"). There isn't quite that feverish following, but they're lots of fun, family friendly, and Fridays in the summer features fireworks. UW Husky and PLU Lute football games are also fun. As far as the arts, well, there's no problem finding them in Seattle. Tacoma also has great stuff (I just saw David Sedaris' "Santaland Diaries" at Theatre on the Square).

It sounds like the communities you are looking at are good matches for your quest. I would suggest you take a quick look at Puyallup if you aren't finding much in your other locales. Your wife will learn to pronounce the name quickly, and you will find that the downtown area there is quaint with the library, coffee shops, park, music stores, sculpture, etc. You will find people walking around. Plus Puyallup does have good schools, and has access to shopping (Walmart) if you desire (the south hill end--but you can easily avoid it if you want to). I'd suggest downtown/"the valley", the north hill/Edgewood, or the west hill/Summit area. Located between I-5 and 167 does give you commuting options. Yes, it is a bit farther than say Burien, but also isn't "questionable" as far as safety, and the schools rank well.

Brown's Pt. and Redondo are VERY nice areas. I personally am a huge fan of Redondo and would live there in a heartbeat if I could.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:42 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,231 times
It doesn't sound like you are trying to live in Renton and if you are questioning Kent too, I suggest you just leave Burien alone. Also, you should more scared of 405 than I-5.

Redondo is very nice and I like Fed Way, but I grew up there for the most part, so I'm biased. I went to two FW high schools and thought FWHS was a good one, however, I've read here that they've gone down lately? Not sure...I haven't been in school for 15 yrs, so I wouldn't know...

Old 12-14-2007, 05:35 PM

358 posts, read 1,056,565 times
It's the Seattle School District you should be worried about. It was only a few years ago when the SSD needed to close schools due to a budget shortfall. On the other hand, the Auburn School District has built 2 high schools, 2 middle schools, and several elementary schools since 1990. I received more than half of my eduction in the ASD and I think I'm intelligent.

A decent home can be found in the low to mid 200s in Auburn. The commute will be longer to Seattle, but about 30-45 minutes using 167 to Renton. Perhaps moving to Renton will allow for an even easier commute. A little pricier in real estate. I only lived in Renton for 1.5 years, but still received a better eduction than when I was transferred and had to spend my high school years at Bethel in Spanaway.

But here's a little side note: Receiving an education in a so-called good school district gives an advantage. But it's a child's ambition to attain all the available education and resources that matters.

Good luck with your move.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:24 PM

86 posts, read 403,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger865 View Post
My opinion, but mentioning shopping at South Center Mall is not attractive. How many shootings have they had there...3+ last year, how many auto thefts?? The mall itself is small but pretty but the people that frequent it, are another story.

Well there are all type of people who frequent that mall. I was one of them while I lived in Washington, although I go to the mall few times a year. I try to live a non-materialistic lifestyle.

I bought in North Tacoma while my husband ( an Engineer Military Officer ) served at Ft. Lewis. We may not make a lot of money compared to our civilian counterparts but we are good folks with same aspirations as many other people. We have both gone to college, pursued graduate level degrees, believe in family values and are good honest and hardworking folks..

We loved our neighbors while we were there and hope to return someday.

A place is what you make of it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area