Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:27 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,519,310 times

Advertisements

Absolutely NO ONE in Seattle fricken cares what religion a person here embraces. Just don't proselytize or try to convert people. In other words, treat others with the same degree of respect you command.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 01:08 PM

265 posts, read 721,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
Reading these responses it seems Seattleites are extremely tolerant of all religions, including Christianity, as long as you have the same political beliefs as they do, you're willing to be mocked and ridiculed, and you don't mention your religion to anyone, ever.
Absolutely!

I do not mention my religion to anyone, we just do our own thing, but I do have beliefs and when asked opinions on certain things, which I general try not to give, if it does not match what secular WA believes then I have been called stupid, uneducated and bigoted, which is funny because I do not bother anyone else about what they believe. Period. I figure I have enough to deal with in my own life without worrying about what others are doing, but that does not mean I have to agree with them.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Bingo. I'd say it's a progressive thing. Somehow "freedom of religion" is being morphed into "freedom from religion". I have to chuckle every time someone says they believe in "live and let live." What they usually mean is "believe what I believe and we'll be OK." Really, that whole live and let live thing is mostly a total crock. I'm a Christian, but not overly religious. To me, "freedom of religion" and "live and let live" don't mean you have to keep your beliefs a secret or talk about them only within the confines of your own home. I remember my time working in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. I celebrated some of the Islamic holidays right alongside the Arabs. I was never offended when my muslim friends would discuss the Koran or their beliefs. I will never ask someone to keep quiet except when at home or in church. Yes, nobody wants to be aggressively "preached" to, but that rarely occurs. I expect my fishing buddies to discuss a little fishing, and I expect my religious friends to discuss a little religion. Some people seem to think any overt display of religion is "in your face."

These live and let live crocksters seem blissfully unaware that asking Christians to keep their faith in the closet is no different than saying that you are tolerant of gays as long as they don't act gay or show any gayness around you.
Love it!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,963,252 times
Most Seattlites don't care if you believe in Jesus...if you believe in Republican Jesus? That's a whole different story...

That being said, there is a sizeable chunk of Seattlites who are of the evangelical atheist variety. We have people screaming about the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Reason etc etc ad nauseum. Just ignore them...they make majority of atheists who couldn't care less look bad.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 PM

157 posts, read 305,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
Bingo. I'd say it's a progressive thing. Somehow "freedom of religion" is being morphed into "freedom from religion". I have to chuckle every time someone says they believe in "live and let live." What they usually mean is "believe what I believe and we'll be OK." Really, that whole live and let live thing is mostly a total crock. I'm a Christian, but not overly religious. To me, "freedom of religion" and "live and let live" don't mean you have to keep your beliefs a secret or talk about them only within the confines of your own home. I remember my time working in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. I celebrated some of the Islamic holidays right alongside the Arabs. I was never offended when my muslim friends would discuss the Koran or their beliefs. I will never ask someone to keep quiet except when at home or in church. Yes, nobody wants to be aggressively "preached" to, but that rarely occurs. I expect my fishing buddies to discuss a little fishing, and I expect my religious friends to discuss a little religion. Some people seem to think any overt display of religion is "in your face."

These live and let live crocksters seem blissfully unaware that asking Christians to keep their faith in the closet is no different than saying that you are tolerant of gays as long as they don't act gay or show any gayness around you.
Post of the thread. You are exactly right on how the anti-theists have perverted the freedom of religion portion of the Constitution to a freedom-from-ever-seeing-religion. They are so thin-skinned and utter babies that the merest display constitutes an imposition and go running to the ACLU at the first sign of a cross.

I went to that high school in RI where one girl bitched about a prayer banner that hung in the school for 40 years, including when I was there. For 40 years we all ignored it. But that brat couldn't do it. She couldn't just look the other way, noooooo, her precious rights were violated. It made national news and cost my old HS $170,000 in legal fees, which they did not just have laying around.

The more tolerant people profess to be, the less they often are.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslovettstailor View Post
Absolutely!

I do not mention my religion to anyone, we just do our own thing, but I do have beliefs and when asked opinions on certain things, which I general try not to give, if it does not match what secular WA believes then I have been called stupid, uneducated and bigoted, which is funny because I do not bother anyone else about what they believe. Period. I figure I have enough to deal with in my own life without worrying about what others are doing, but that does not mean I have to agree with them.
Right here is the problem, Moderator cut: see note

And what is so funny I love Seattle, can't wait to move there or at least closer to it. I don't bother about the politics I just live my life. Do I like the way Seattle as a whole seems to think? Nope. But I will go on about my day and life and not worry about it. That was the point people are trying to make on here. Most of us do not care as Christian's what you do, you have to deal with the consequences of your actions and choices. You think what you think but let us think what WE think. It is an opinion, a belief, and as people from the other side like to preach THIS IS AMERICA, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION, AND FREE SPEECH. YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE WHAT I LIKE OR WHAT I SAY, THIS IS AMERICA!! Problem with this is free speech only goes one direction, and that is not a Seattle oddity.

As far as my "staying in PA" the people here are pretty much just like the ones in Seattle as far as political views go, only difference is you have those who work for the logging industry who do not want to protect the environment. Aside from that, pretty much the same. But I won't worry about that just like I do not here. I smile politely, keep my voting preferences to myself and go about my day. I will live my life with integrity and morals that I was taught. Be kind to those around me, including those who are different and that I do not agree with, and hope to make a difference in the world, and for everyone with your comments of "we won't roll our eyes at your or say nasty stuff if you NEVER use the word God, or if you agree about gay marriage or if you hand us an ashtray when we light up a fat one" to show how TOLERANT you are, you might want to try it.

Last edited by Count David; 09-03-2013 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: issue has been handled

Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,763,085 times
Anyone agree or disagree with this Wikipedia article?

Unchurched Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-04-2013, 10:12 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,544,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Anyone agree or disagree with this Wikipedia article?

Unchurched Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Disagree only in the sense that it excludes the numerous flavors of new age spirituality. It also excludes non-Christian religions. Of course, that isn't what the article is about. However, many people have misconstrued such articles as meaning there are a lot of atheists up here. I haven't been up here long enough to know if there are substantially more than other places I've lived. What I can already say is that new age spirituality in some form is pretty big here.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:44 AM

1,485 posts, read 1,661,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Patrizio View Post
Post of the thread. You are exactly right on how the anti-theists have perverted the freedom of religion portion of the Constitution to a freedom-from-ever-seeing-religion. They are so thin-skinned and utter babies that the merest display constitutes an imposition and go running to the ACLU at the first sign of a cross.
A cross on government property promoting a particular religion, with no allowance for equal displays of other religions to do the same. Keep government away from religion completely and it is so easy to enforce.

Quote:
I went to that high school in RI where one girl bitched about a prayer banner that hung in the school for 40 years, including when I was there. For 40 years we all ignored it. But that brat couldn't do it.
It had been going on for so long that she should have sat at the back of the bus, huh?

Old 09-04-2013, 01:13 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,588,852 times
How does anyone know anyones private religious beliefs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area