U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:35 PM

89 posts, read 158,351 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We're settling in our new Home city! I do have a question about registration for Seattle Public Schools. I was out of town last week settling our move from Virginia, so I emailed all of the required documents and applications for school registration for the Seattle School District. It's been 1 week today and I have not heard anything back yet. I am a bit concerned and wonder if I should physically go down to the District office? I did receive confirmation my materials were received but nothing since then!

Also I realize a Strike may be imminent but I would still like confirmation my boys have been registered. Do I contact their Neighborhood school at all? Or is this all done by the District office?

Thanks very much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 04:42 PM

3,699 posts, read 10,784,403 times
You should call the enrollment center at (206) 252-0760

Old 08-28-2013, 04:49 PM

Thanks Sean. If I go in person, is registration confirmation immediate? Or do they also take time to process the application? I'm just wondering what the usual time is to process a registration!

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,197,164 times
I have heard the whole system is down. You can find out more here:

http://saveseattleschools.blogspot.c...struggles.html

Old 08-28-2013, 11:47 PM

456 posts, read 701,809 times
Have you emailed them a second time to ask if the forms were processed? I've almost always had better luck with email than waiting for hours to wade through the phone system. Driving to JSIS is a huge waste of time that should be avoided at all costs. Also the school secretaries can usually answer if you're in the system and are often more responsive than the central staff. So try calling the school you think you are assigned to first. If you're lucky they'll internally email for you and dreg up a real answer. (Yes half of their systems are down and enrollment seems to be fairly messed up this year)

Ben

Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 AM

Oh wow, this is news about the system being down! I emailed them a second time and called but they said they are just backed up and they will be working through Labor Day weekend. I will try calling the school they are assigned to! Yikes, hopefully this all gets straightened out!

Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 AM

10,002 posts, read 6,068,881 times
Good luck OP!!

Old 08-29-2013, 11:26 AM

This is our first hiccup in our moving process. I hope they will be registered before the first day of school as I sent in my emailed registration and accompanying required documents NINE days ago!!

Old 08-29-2013, 11:05 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,197,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbestcoast View Post
This is our first hiccup in our moving process. I hope they will be registered before the first day of school as I sent in my emailed registration and accompanying required documents NINE days ago!!
Please don't panic. We have been here for just over a year and Seattle Schools has missed every deadline we were ever promised. But in the end it all worked out every time (and came down to the wire every time). I would call the school they are registered for and speak to the principal. Give him/her the story so they at a minimum know to expect your kids and sit tight. Your kids will have a place to go Sept 4 (or later depending on the contract issues). Moving is so stressful and this certainly doesn't help but it will work out. Hang in there.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Thanks everyone. Turns out there was no record of my emailed application and I had to stand in line for 5 hours the day before school started just to make sure my children could start on the first day of class. The person who was helping me stated they didn't have enough man power to process all the emailed applications. I don't know why my email couldn't be found in their system. I had talked to a person on the phone a few days before and they said they received all documents and it just was going to take time to process everything. In the end it worked out and my kids started on the first day of school, but word to the wise, do not rely on email as a means to register your children! Seattle has been wonderful so far, with the school registration the only difficulty of our move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area