Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:32 PM

34 posts, read 51,305 times

Advertisements

Hello All. Quick question:

My wife & I are planning on spending some time in the Seattle area in October-November. We drive a Chevy Cruze (13k), which is pretty compact, but has a strong 4-cyliner.

We are driving out from the Midwest & was just wondering how such a smaller vehicle would fare in such a mountainous area as WA? These cars are low to the ground, which makes us a bit nervous (we will be heading south to OR, CA, AZ from WA).

We are considering purchasing a Ford F-150, but the gas will almost triple from what it currently is in the Chevy Cruze.

Would appreciate some input from some of the locals when you have an opportunity.

Thank you much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 04:47 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
I have a similar car to the Cruze and it's fine. Never had a problem.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:17 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
You'll do fine. I drove across the country in a vehicle just barely larger than a Cruze. No problem.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Are you sticking to major highways??? I'm from Seattle area but I've been driving across the western half of the country (I drove Seattle - Twin Cities last July) in a tiny little Ford Fiesta and we've been fine on all sorts of roads.... well, almost... a few days ago I poorly executed a high mountain pass in Colorado that really burned my breaks (my husband suggested engine breaking... 9/10 of the way down..doh!) that really put Snoqualmie Pass in it's place. You didn't mention CO, but in any case, you'll be fine. Enjoy the trip!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 PM

Thank you all so very much for your time.

flyingsaucermom, just curious, how many miles do you have on your Fiesta (if you don't mind my asking?)? And, yes, we're sticking to the Interstates as much as possible. Actually, we just key our destination into MapQuest or our iPhone's & follow the instructions.

We will have about 13k on the Cruze when we begin our journey, but are pretty-much traveling the country (beginning in Seattle) & are contemplating whether or not we should just get a brand-new vehicle to off-set any potential problems (I know I sound pretty OCD about right now ).

The Cruze is a bit too compact inside for such a long trip, but, the gas will save us much $....esp. compared to a truck.

Thank you all again.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:36 PM

Also, though not related to the thread-topic, my wife does not have a passport & man, we would love to see some of Canada whilst so close.

Seems like I read something about some sort of pass she could purchase for $60 or so...Or, will she have to possess a passport?

Sorry for all the queries, but, man, am I ever thankful for this forum (wish I would've found it about 8 years ago!).

Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 PM

I think the pass you are referring to is an enhanced driver's license. It's something offered to 3-4 states bordering Canada (i.e. MI, NY, VT). I've never heard of a pass besides the enhanced driver's license and passport. It used to be the case that one could bring an original birth certificate and a photo ID, but that was pre 9-11 times. Check homeland security and border crossing information if you need verification.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
A lot of people aren't aware of this, but the roads heading out west are now paved. It's improved a bit since the days of the Oregon Trail. You also don't need to lower your car with ropes down steep cliffs anymore, which is a major plus.

The only times when ground clearance is an issue is on unpaved and heavily rutted roads, which are totally your choice to go on and when there is deep unplowed snow. But both of those should be the same as in the midwest.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin' Tang View Post
Thank you all so very much for your time.

flyingsaucermom, just curious, how many miles do you have on your Fiesta (if you don't mind my asking?)? And, yes, we're sticking to the Interstates as much as possible. Actually, we just key our destination into MapQuest or our iPhone's & follow the instructions.

We will have about 13k on the Cruze when we begin our journey, but are pretty-much traveling the country (beginning in Seattle) & are contemplating whether or not we should just get a brand-new vehicle to off-set any potential problems (I know I sound pretty OCD about right now ).

The Cruze is a bit too compact inside for such a long trip, but, the gas will save us much $....esp. compared to a truck.

Thank you all again.

Just crossed the 37,000 mark inside Arches National Park this morning

I understand any anxiety on the car performance... each time we head out for a new destination I'm on the verge of totally freaking out... tomorrow we're driving to Grand Canyon.. North Rim.. it's really isolated... crossing fingers.. we'll be coming home Sunday!

I think you will be fine in your current car, honestly... 13k is nothing! You'll appreciated the savings in gas! I started the trip just with my kids, but it's all four of us for these last 7 states. Can you imagine??? Instead of suitcases I packed everyone's clothes in cloth grocery sacks. It looks cheap, but it's been quite effective.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Just crossed the 37,000 mark inside Arches National Park this morning

I understand any anxiety on the car performance... each time we head out for a new destination I'm on the verge of totally freaking out... tomorrow we're driving to Grand Canyon.. North Rim.. it's really isolated... crossing fingers.. we'll be coming home Sunday!

I think you will be fine in your current car, honestly... 13k is nothing! You'll appreciated the savings in gas! I started the trip just with my kids, but it's all four of us for these last 7 states. Can you imagine??? Instead of suitcases I packed everyone's clothes in cloth grocery sacks. It looks cheap, but it's been quite effective.

Four folks in a Fiesta? Wowsie! You're making me feel better already....Just my wife & I (neat idea about the clothes BTW)!

Yea', we'll likely just stick with the Cruze. Though I have not checked it out, I imagine the gas in a Ford F-150 would triple from a Cruze...Not mention a higher note most likely.

Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area