Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times

Advertisements

Renton has it's pockets of crime, but in general is just fine and has some great features. I would avoid being near Skyway, and downtown but that's about it. Same with Kent, it has plenty of nice areas to live. There is nothing in this whole area that is close to the crime of places like Oakland where I worked for many years and lived for a few. For people that lived their whole lives in places like Bellevue and Issaquah cities like Renton and Kent may seem "crime ridden", but that's from a very narrow perspective. They are not. Tukwila is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 01:29 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Seattle has a higher crime rate per capita than Renton or Kent. Would you avoid living on Phinney Ridge, or in Madison park or the top of Queen Anne or Ravenna just because it's in Seattle? No. But you might avoid the higher crime areas within Seattle.
Renton and Kent are the same way. Are you going to avoid living in the eastern Renton Highlands because crime occurs miles away near the Skyway border? Simply because it's in the same city? Are you going to avoid living on the upper east side of Manhattan because it's the same city as the South Bronx?

Old 08-30-2013, 01:41 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Seattle has a higher crime rate per capita than Renton or Kent. Would you avoid living on Phinney Ridge, or in Madison park or the top of Queen Anne or Ravenna just because it's in Seattle? No. But you might avoid the higher crime areas within Seattle.
Renton and Kent are the same way. Are you going to avoid living in the eastern Renton Highlands because crime occurs miles away near the Skyway border? Simply because it's in the same city? Are you going to avoid living on the upper east side of Manhattan because it's the same city as the South Bronx?
so basically it comes to knowing which neighborhoods to avoid in said areas, so focusing on Renton, which neighborhoods to avoid? other than Skyway, which sadly sounds like a cool name lol.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:42 PM

427 posts, read 430,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Kent has 46 crimes per 1000 population, slightly better than Renton's, and lower than Seattle's. Renton is also near low crime Issaquah and Maple Valley, so maybe people should live in Renton because it's." sandwiched" between two very safe areas. Look: You're the one who said " No offense", which to most people means" I don't intend to hurt anybody's feelings here.", but when I say I'm offended, now I shouldn't be posting in the forum.
You're entitled to your opinion. And making sure to not let facts get in the way.i
(Yawn)

Old 08-31-2013, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,364 times
I, too, am highly considering moving to Renton, WA. I am from Springfield, MO. I know I have never been there, but it seems like a great choice! There are many things to do inside the city itself, and then if you want to venture out to more entertaining places, Bellevue and Seattle are just within a short drive. I like that it is still far enough from the city to get a little bit of relaxation and not just total chaos/noise constantly. It really does seem like a beautiful place to live for anyone considering. Everywhere has a crime rate, but most places feel safe regardless, as long as you aren't walking down dark alleys alone or trying to get into unnecessary trouble. Good luck with your search and hopefully you find a great place to live!

Old 08-31-2013, 11:01 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabik2313 View Post
I, too, am highly considering moving to Renton, WA. I am from Springfield, MO. I know I have never been there, but it seems like a great choice! There are many things to do inside the city itself, and then if you want to venture out to more entertaining places, Bellevue and Seattle are just within a short drive. I like that it is still far enough from the city to get a little bit of relaxation and not just total chaos/noise constantly. It really does seem like a beautiful place to live for anyone considering. Everywhere has a crime rate, but most places feel safe regardless, as long as you aren't walking down dark alleys alone or trying to get into unnecessary trouble. Good luck with your search and hopefully you find a great place to live!
i am from a small town in Georgia no one has ever heard of, ironically its a town called Washington. That town being that small, not even a walmart probably has more shady and higher crime rates than Renton, so for me I'm upgrading and moving into better conditions all around. Probably safer, more beautiful and lots more to do, and seattle in my opinion is probably one of the cleanest and safer of the big cities in the country.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
so basically it comes to knowing which neighborhoods to avoid in said areas, so focusing on Renton, which neighborhoods to avoid? other than Skyway, which sadly sounds like a cool name lol.
Here's a few neighborhoods in Renton, and my impressions/opinions:
Downtown Renton- A mixed bag but really convenient for buses to Seattle or Bellevue. Several newer apartment buildings. Great places to eat and drink. A little shabby/funky, but in a good way. The south end of downtown is less nice, and places right next to 405 are usually scuzzier and noisier. Avoid places between downtown Renton and I-5 along Martin Luther King. North Renton is between downtown and The landing, and is pretty nice, and very convenient to the cedar River trail and the library.
Renton Highlands: The eastern part of Renton Highlands is nice, but mostly singly family houses. The western part is kind of shabby, but gets much nicer heading north towards, and including Kennydale.
The Landing- several newer apartment buildings and a newer outdoor mall with a 14 screen cinema. Quite nice.
Cascade- A mixed bag. The shopping mall is pretty pathetic, but most of the apartments and houses are decent enough, with nice views.
Benson Hill- a little far, but nice enough.
Fairwood- Technically outside the city limits, but nice.
Skyway- It's not all that bad, except for a few blocks, Neighboring neighborhoods Bryn Mawr and Lakeridge have nice views.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:42 PM

983 posts, read 1,054,934 times
Fairwood has some nice homes, a nice shopping center...It IS part of Renton, although Fairwood keeps trying to incorporate. Renton Highlands has some very nice areas. I think Renton has a bit of a bad image for some people - undeservedly so...and yes, I lived there.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Fairwood has some nice homes, a nice shopping center...It IS part of Renton, although Fairwood keeps trying to incorporate. Renton Highlands has some very nice areas. I think Renton has a bit of a bad image for some people - undeservedly so...and yes, I lived there.
Fairwood has a Renton mailing address, but is in unincorporated King County, so it's not part of any city. If you live in Fairwood ,you don't get to vote for the Mayor of Renton. Or against him.
And I agree, Renton is much better than it's reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area